Dual Confrontations

Everlasting Impressions

Hana decided not to veer towards the cafeteria after all. There would be no one to talk to and she didn't want secret glances to be thrown her way. Her tolerance was decreasing, she decided to head to class instead but on her way she passed a window through which the view of the school garden caught her eye. She paused briefly to admire it, it always looked beautiful,  even autumn was kind to it, instead of class the garden began to call her.

 

Her legs moved on their own accord as her feet glided across the gravel path. She admired the scenery and wondered why Korea didn't have many gardens, they were beautiful. The flowers frolicked in the shade hiding from the peaks of the suns rays mimicking the behavior of classmates who hid from any radiation that would dare to darken their complexion. The lively plant’s decorated their surroundings obediently marching only where the gardener had allowed them. Their colors played against the lush green background to give the image of undisturbed, serene bliss. A male’s voice shook their peace seething at his companion whose delicate features varied only slightly from his own suggesting they were of the one breed.

 

Hana walked until she heard familiar voices in what seemed to be an argument and although she was aware of eavesdropping she couldn't help but make her way over to the scene.

 

"- And that's why you've got to stay away from the wangta!" Hana grimaced at the title and chose to remain hidden instead of unveiling herself in what was to become a personal conversation and so she crouched low to disguise herself with the aid of the mulberry bush.

 

The peaceful forte of the garden had been disturbed by the angry voice of the tall male. The handsome, young man was glowering mercilessly. His features strained and if the plants were able they would have winced and turned away. His female counterpart seemed more composed, unflinchingly gazing at the male as if to quell his anger. “Oppa you need to stop it,” she finally breathed relieving the words that had been caught in . The male remained passive, “Do you want to become a wangta Se Ryung?” 

 

Seryung averted her eyes and hugged herself, "Maybe, I was supposed to become one..."

 

Sehun sighed and rubbed his forehead as the irritatation he felt heightened. He stared at his sister and wished to relieve her of her headache, "You're not going to become one, not if I have anything to say about it."

 

Seryung nodded quietly and shivered as a passing breeze traveled by. She craned her head back to stare at the sky, everything. Why did things happen as they did?

 

"Can't you stop it altogether?" Seryung asked, she clutched her brother's arm and squeezed it while staring with pleading eyes. Sehun was overwhelmed by it all too, it was happening again, the same thing that had happened all those years ago but there was one difference. The difference was that Seryung was taking action and that scared Sehun. He didn't want his sister to befriend the wangta at all, no good would come of it. She had done it though, and she was now asking for his help. Sehun would have stopped it if he knew how to. The landslide that was the wangta's fate couldn't be stopped at all. If it were able to then wouldn't have it stopped during Joseon times or perhaps the time of the Three Kingdoms?

 

"You're being watched," Sehun muttered, his eyes flicked towards a shadow that shifted and he was aware they were no longer alone, he scoffed on the inside, his words had more meanings than he'd wanted to reveal, "The school's watching you, if you're not careful, then, they'll come after you. You know as well as I do that I can't stop these things. Get a grip and don't hang around with the wangta."

 

"You know I can't do that, right? If I do, it'll be the second time." Sehun flushed with anger, all of it was the wangta's fault! His sister was being brainwashed and in turn he too would get dragged into the mess. Sehun had to admit she was much cleverer than the ious vixens who chased him. She'd gone to his parent's first and then approached his sister, a very neat plan that he wanted to foil.

 

"Just be careful," were his last words on the issue, he stared at into his sisters eyes, they seemed forlorn and haunted by memories she didn't need. However she would return to her friendly state soon, Sehun considered the possibility of her being stronger than he was before shaking his head. He poked her forehead playfully to snap her out of her trance, "Go to class, you'll be late."

 

Seryung blinked multiple times before pointing at him, "You poked me. You're not allowed to do that! Dad declared I was the older one." She joked mockingly, she avoided a swat that came her way and frowned when Sehun ruffled her hair. Seryung patted her head and sighed, she removed her hair tie and frowned lightly at her brother who smiled innocently waving his hands in defense.

 

Seryung clicked her tongue and chuckled, she waved before departing to class, Sehun watched her go until she was out of view before turning his gaze to the suspicious shadow. "I know you're there," he commented aggressively. Sehun held his stance as the shadow stiffened.

 

Hana held her breath and contemplated her next move, she had three options at present, one was to run away, second was to reveal herself and third was to remain where she was hoping he wouldn't approach her. Hana smirked nervously, she knew he would try to uncover the identity of a potential spy. She weighted her options and chewed on her lower lip before emitting a small scream.

 

Sehun hadn't planned to hit her, he'd just flung a stone knowing that whoever was hiding would jump out in protest, he'd aimed to scare her and that's exactly what had happened. The stone had landed centimeters away from Hana who'd jumped up and stared at Sehun incredulously. Sehun raised an eyebrow and rolled his eyes at her frightened eyes.

 

"What are you doing here?" He asked walking towards her. Hana remained silent wishing she could break away from his icy stare but her eyes stayed glued to them just like the way her feet remained glued to the ground. Her heart beat quickened as Sehun stood merely a few inches away from her.

 

"What are you doing here?" He repeated glaring this time. Hana whimpered as the iciness of his stance intensified.

 

"N-nothing," she replied all too quickly and jumped backwards as he took another step towards her.

 

"You were eavesdropping," he informed her menacingly. Hana shook her head in protest, "N-no, I didn't mean to, I just, wanted, to walk..." Hana pressed her lips together as her words sounded like an excuse. She shook her head more to herself than to him.

 

"You're worse than the rest of them," Sehun huffed crossing his arms and eyeing her up and down. "You're not even as pretty as the others," he remarked casually, "And you're a dumb doll. Why do you even want to marry me?"

 

"I-I don't know, I came home one day and things had been arranged..." Hana shuddered as he narrowed his eyes at her suspiciously, she despised the scrutiny of his gaze, her eyes widened once more as she gathered that he questioned her morals.

 

"Liar, why don't you just tell the truth? You're a vixen" Hana stiffened and shuffled backwards as he came closer, "but it's okay," Sehun whispered her cheek. Hana froze in place, her breath came short as he played with her hair, her thoughts went into a frenzy when he began to lean in. She wanted to push him away, her brain was flashing the emergency red light, her body however was not functioning. Dizziness swept her, she shut her eyes tightly as his breath caressed her face until she  felt heat creep onto her face. Although she couldn't see him, she knew, he wasn't much further away from her, she could hear him breathing and wondered if he could hear the frenzy her heart was in. Hana stumbled and tripped backwards.

 

Sehun snorted at the image, she'd acted as if she had been uncomfortable, much so, that she'd landed on her rear. Sehun chuckled, "That's what you get, wangta." He told her amused that her rapid blinking didn't stop there. He tilted his head knowing she'd expect him to help her up but he didn't want to.

 

Hana grimaced as Sehun continued to laugh at her expense. She hurriedly stood up and dusted her skirt.

 

"You're really rude," she told him, "I wasn't eavesdropping on purpose. I wanted to take a walk and then heard you guys talking. Why are you acting like I meant to listen?"

 

"You're saying you just happened to be here? Even if you did hear us, why come all the way here to listen?"

 

"Because, because of everything that just happened!"

 

"Oh, so now you're pretending to care?"

 

"Pretending?"

 

"About Seryung. If you really cared, you'd stay away from her, but you don't, and look where you've gotten her."

 

Hana bit back a retort and lowered her head, she rubbed her hands together to brush away the dirt that was stuck to them. "I didn't think about it that way," she admitted in a whisper speaking to the ground more than Mr. Frost.

 

"I'm not used to it yet, I didn't think she'd get hurt too. I was just glad that someone wanted to be my friend." Sehun rolled his eyes at her and sighed exasperatedly, she was impossible to talk to.

 

"Lying again! Why don't you just admit it? You approached her to get revenge right? Who are you? Do you know about 'that' time? You planned all of this, knowing everything! If you don't admit it, I'm going to make sure your life becomes hell, do you understand?!" Sehun clenched his teeth at his own lie, he was caught between the spiders web and quite incapable of doing anything. She'd crafted her web to capture him, he was stuck, unable to move.

 

Hana shook her head, keeping her eyes on the ground rather than the scorn full gaze that was threatening to pierce her. "Nothing, I didn't do anything wrong. I went home one day and they told me I'm engaged. I came to school the next day and I became a wangta. Now you're accusing me of something, I don't know even know, what you're talking about!"

 

Sehun blinked as she shouted at him before becoming a mass of tears, he scoffed at her once more. "Why don't you just go home and tell them you don't want to get married?" He suggested hoping to ease the burden from his shoulders. Hana shook her head, "I can't, because they've decided, I can't say anything," Hana sobbed harder until her shoulders shook. She didn't expect any consolation but he patted her back awkwardly.

 

"You have class too, lying wangta. Are you going to try and waste my time too?" Sehun asked glancing at his watch. "If you're planning to stay here can you let me know? I have classes to attend."

 

Hana rubbed her eyes, "You don't believe me?" She asked surprised. Hana sniffed and rubbed her eyes further, she couldn't go to class in her current state, her eyes would be red and puffy, she made a face and trembled.

"No I don't, did you expect me to? I won't believe you, lying wangta."

 

"Go to class," Hana whispered hoarsely and cringed at the sound of her voice.

 

"I will," Sehun stated boredly, he allowed his hand back down to his side and placed both his hands into his pockets. "You're not coming?" Sehun peered at her curiously; she'd managed to look even uglier than before.

 

"I guess you can't, looking like that," he pointed at her face, Hana nodded grimly and blinked letting a new batch of tears escape.

 

"Is it very bad?" She asked finally meeting his gaze. She was no longer afraid of him now that the issue of skipping class had cropped up. Skipping class meant that her parent's would get a phone call, she hadn't told them about her new title. She didn't want them to know because they'd be disappointed in her. She'd never made them proud but she didn't wish to disappoint them!

 

"Your definition of 'bad' is?"

 

Hana furrowed her brows and took a deep breath, his small comments hurt her too. She swallowed back a sob and fanned her eyes. "Swollen, red eyes, are they obvious?"

 

Sehun nodded with a small smile on his face, "If you're going to cry that much, you should at least expect to look ugly. As for 'red eyes,' they'd be obvious anyway; they're red. 'Red and swollen,' can I be honest and say no ones going to care. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got classes to attend."

 

Hana watched him saunter off. She wondered why he were so immune to tears. Had he broken so many hearts that he had become accustomed to them? She took a deep breath and continued to fan her eyes. She paced back and forth quickly in an effort to relieve her eyes.

 

Sehun sat boredly in class - he hadn't been late - the teacher was late instead. Sehun glared at the teacher who had begun to resume a lesson as if being late was no big deal. The wangta didn't arrive until much later and had been scolded for being late. Sehun smirked slightly at the irony. The wangta kept her head pointed toward the ground and apologized for the inconvenience. She hurried to her seat, keeping her head low.

 

Sehun winced as the chair collapsed under her and rubbed his temples as the class roared with laughter. The teacher's expression remained passive as the wangta trembled trying to stand up using her desk for support.

 

Sehun covered her ears as the laughter increased when the wangta sobbed. He shut his eyes tightly before slamming his table. The laughter came to a halt as all eyes landed on him. Sehun pressed his lips together into a thin line and glided towards the back of the classroom.

 

The class watched as Sehun removed a chair from the ones stacked at the back and gave it to the wangta. Hana wondered what he was doing as he handed her the chair. Sehun wondered what he was doing too.

 

"We're even now," Sehun whispered harshly, Hana nodded unsurely as Sehun stalked back to his seat.

 

Jong In and Joon Myun exchanged meaningful glances before the teacher clapped her hands together and declared that they'd wasted enough time.

 

Sehun flicked his pen between his fingers. Why'd he help her? It would be a question his friends would soon ask him and he didn't have an answer. He scratched his head sheepishly and tilted his head. The wangta who'd been staring at him quickly looked away, Sehun rolled his eyes once more, he would no longer get his hands dirty by involving himself with her because that would please those people who hated the vein of his existence.