Dreams and Angels

Everlasting Impressions

A/N: Lemme just state this now: Italics = dream.

 


**Present time**

Miyoung sat on her knees and watched Hana squirm. The ghost tapped her fingers against her cheeks, her elbows rested on the bedside. She was enjoying her abilities. Who would have thought, ghosts could manipulate dreams?

 

What had meant to be a cute date with Sehun was turning into Hana’s worst nightmare.

 

Sehun had been awarded with a scholarship abroad. He was gone leaving Hana alone to deal with those who’d found out she was dating him. Each day became difficult to overcome. Her past as a wangta became her present except this time there was no Seryung to help her. She really was alone. And Tao? Tao was more interested in Seryung to notice Hana’s peril. Neither of her friend’s had asked why her appetite was growing smaller, or why she appeared with injuries. They were living in their own world. Meanwhile, the bullying was getting worse day by day.

 

Hana whimpered in her sleep. Miyoung grinned and patted her head. The high schooler was experiencing what school had been like for Miyoung. It would be hard on her. Miyoung wondered how Hana would take it.

 

Hana’s parents were as distant as ever. Her grades had achieved an all time low. She was enrolled into a hagwon. She thought she would find solace there but she was immediately identified as ‘Sehun’s girlfriend.’ Notes about her were passed in class, the teacher’s ignored them although Hana could swear teachers knew what was happening to her.

 

Her after-school-study classmates confronted her. They wanted to know if she was really the girl who was dating Oh Sehun. Hana didn’t know how to respond to that. She told them she didn’t know. Her answer didn’t impress them because she was hoisted by the collar, and the same question was snarled. Hana shook her head. They called her a ‘liar.’ They snatched the book she was holding and smacked her across her head with it. Hana stumbled from the impact. Someone nudged her with a T-square and demanded the truth. The gang huddled around her pushing her wanting an answer that she couldn’t provide for them. Her reply didn’t matter to them, ‘yes’ or, ‘no’ they still beat her.

 

Miyoung made sure not to let Hana become too restless. The last thing the ghost wanted was for Hana’s neighbor to wake up and catch her. That would be no fun. The plan was to slowly turn the two good friends against each other. If she got caught here her plan would combust.

 

Hana stood on the school roof. Her uniform was drenched in oil-paint and her hair was matted with egg and tomatoes. A purple bruise colored her eye, she had trouble squinting through it let alone keeping it open. She’d had enough. She’d begged for help but everywhere she went she was turned down and shunned. She’d tried to call Sehun, but the answering machine would always ask her to leave a message. No one cared about her. Even if she disappeared no one would care. Tao and Seryung were too busy to care. Her parents weren’t in the country and Sehun? Sehun had migrated after kissing her. That was all she was worth!

 

Miyoung nodded pensively. “So jump! Don’t you want to be free? Will anyone care enough try to stop you? They ignored your letters.”

 

Hana gingerly stepped on the wall. The roof was very high up. She felt her head spin just standing there. She took a deep breath and waited. Would someone come?

 

“No one.”

 

Hana sniffed. She didn’t think anyone would, but she’d wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.

 

Miyoung ducked for cover. Oh Seryung had just stretched her arms. The ghost made a face. The connection to Hana’s nightmare had been broken by the feat.

 

Seryung rubbed her eyes half-asleep. She groaned and glanced around. She felt a third presence in the room, “Miyoung?”

 

Seryung strained her eyes for movement but saw nothing. Beside her Hana was sniveling. Seryung yawned and patted her shoulders in comfort before falling back asleep.

 

 “You’re dreaming,” Oh Sehun told Hana with a smile. “How could I abandon you?”

 

Hana shook her head. He’d left her. He didn’t care what she was going though. He hadn’t even bothered to call.

 

“I came back for you.”

 

Miyoung rolled her eyes and muttered incoherently under her breath. Hana’s fantasies were nauseating. The ghost didn’t understand how Hana had gone from committing suicide to standing on a cloud and receiving a heartfelt confession.

 

“Sehun oppa would never!” Miyoung exclaimed. She was disappointed. It had been Seryung’s fault for distracting the ghost, yet another reason to dislike her, but Sehun was at fault too. His proclamation of affection was making the ghost gag. She wondered what Sehun was dreaming about. If it was Hana, then Miyoung thought, she could help accentuate his love elsewhere.

 

The ghost smirked mischievously and appeared in Tao’s room. She floated above Sehun. His relaxed expression could only last for so long. Slowly she descended beside him to tap into his sub-consciousness. She was pleased to find what she was looking for. Of course old feelings couldn’t be replaced, they would still exist somewhere in the mind.

 

“Yoon Rae Mi.” Sehun called her name. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing. She was supposed to be dead. He’d been at her funeral. She’d been buried before him, yet here she was in the flesh. He reached out to touch her, still confused. He was sure he was hallucinating, but he wanted to confirm it.

 

She turned to smile at him and when she hugged him, his heart skipped a beat. What was she doing? She’d never been so affectionate with him before. It left him perplexed. She laughed at his expression.

 

“You’ve gotten taller Sehunnie,” she remarked standing on her toes to reach for his head. She laughed and took his hands in hers. If he’d been confused before, he was dumbfounded now.

 

“I missed you Sehunnie.” Sehun faltered for a second before removing her hands from his. She was acting too strange.

 

“Didn’t you miss me?” He couldn’t say he didn’t. He had missed her more than she’d ever know.

 

“I heard you got sick after I left.” Distress troubled her countenance. She held his face in her hands, “You’re okay now, aren’t you?”

 

Sehun nodded and pried her fingers away. He had an urge to hold her in his arms, to tell her he missed her, to her hair ,and caress her face. She was giving him one of her soft smiles. She was glad to see he was okay. She took a step backwards and filtered into the light. He reached out to hold the hand she was offering, but his fingers slipped though hers.

 

A clock ticked in the distance. He was standing on an overhead pedestrian bridge. His phone was ringing. It was Rae Mi. Her contact had been deleted from his phone, but he recognized the number. She was alive? He didn’t dare believe it! He answered the phone expecting to hear her cheerful voice.

 

“Help me, please help me Sehun!”

 

“No one’s going to help you.”

 

He clutched the phone close to his ear. He knew that second voice, but before he could place a name, and face next to it. Rae Mi screamed. Sehun’s breath died in his throat. The phone slipped from between his fingers and hit the ground. His heart hammered against his chest.

 

He was standing in the courtroom as a witness. The judge was inquiring about the phone call. Sehun was still trying to piece things together. He told the judge that he’d misheard.

 

A ghost appeared before him. Her eyes glazed with sorrow. She asked him what she’d done wrong. He didn’t know what to say to her. He was too discombobulated by it all.

 

“You won’t tell them who killed me?”

 

Sehun shut his eyes, he wasn’t sure of himself. He didn’t want to implicate another person without proof.

 

“Then I’ll show you,” Rae Mi held his hand. He felt her thoughts filter into his being.

 

She’d been waiting at the bus stop, hugging herself to keep warm, and pacing back and forth every so often. A masked figure approached behind her. Sehun’s stomach churned, he knew what would happen here.

 

He flinched as the hammer made contact. She was running away from her assailant to find safety. He covered his face with his hands. He didn’t want to see this. And when his ears became his eyes. He didn’t want to hear it.

 

He let out an estranged scream when the deed was done. He heard laughter. The laughter belonged to that voice on the phone. He peeped through his fingers. His mind refused to believe it.

 

He was made to watch it again, and again. Each time felt worse than being stoned. He couldn’t take it. It wasn’t true. How could he believe something like that? That person wasn’t a murderer.

 

Miyoung swung her legs. She was enjoying Sehun’s denial. He was much stronger than Hana who’d made it to the roof quicker. The ghost smirked.

 

“No matter. I can always come up with creative ways to have Hana kill Rae Mi. If you see that every night, will you be able to look Hana in the eye? How long until your relationship shatters?”

 

Sehun perspired in his sleep, a tension flustered his features. He wouldn’t wake up until the ghost permitted him to. She was waiting for him to name Hana as Rae Mi’s killer until then she would let him suffer in silence.

 

Or so was her plan…

 

Miyoung’s eyes widened in their sockets. One minute she was in Tao’s room, the next she felt as if she were being into a black hole.

 

“Han Miyoung, you have breathed the laws of the dead,” a thunderous voice boomed.

 

Miyoung’s eyes twitched, “You could have at least let me get to the end of the dream!”

 

The ‘Grim Reaper’ blinked blankly at her from under his cloak, unaffected by her tempestuous tone. He scrunched his nose at having to deal with an overly emotional spirit.

 

“Human dreams are not allowed to be toyed with.”

 

Miyoung coughed. She smelt soot coming from somewhere. She blinked a the realization - the fear of confronting the Grim Reaper in a pit of absolute darkness didn’t matter - she had retained her sense of smell!

 

“You wish to live?” It was more a statement than a question coming from the Grim Reaper. Miyoung curled her fingers into fists. Did she? Would it be worth it? Why live again?

 

“No one remembers you?” Another statement. This time it came from her thoughts.

 

“There’s no point is there?” Miyoung sighed. Her eyes stung. It was an odd sensation. She reached to touch them and discovered them to be wet. She glanced at the Reaper completely baffled.

 

“I’m crying?”

 

The Reaper didn’t answer for before him appeared a rather giant leather-bound book with more pages that Miyoung had seen cars. He swiped his hand over it and the cover snapped open. Pages began to turn rapidly. They were so fast that staring hurt her eyes. She was forced to look away until the fluttering came to a halt.

 

“Han Miyoung, you are hereby sentenced to expulsion. Do you have any regrets?”

 

The Reaper finally looked over at her. He scrutinized her seven-year-old form, he didn’t voice the results of his evaluation choosing instead to wait for an answer.

 

“No.”

 

The Reaper’s lips curved into a one sided smile. His callous heart remained stony, as did his voice when he repeated, “No?”

 

Miyoung shook her head, “I don’t want to live as a ghost anymore.”

 

The Reaper clicked his fingers, and the book before him snicked shut. He surveyed the ghost once again. She was pushing her way to be an ‘exceptional case.’ He didn’t have the patience to deal with details.

 

“You wish for extinction?”

 

Miyoung hesitated before bobbing her head, “Please.”

 

“As you wish,” the Grim Reaper reached for his hood. Miyoung braced herself expecting to see a revolting, molted and harrowing creature that would her soul dry.

 

She gasped when she saw him. Her eyes trembled in surprise. He was… Handsome. His face was small and oval shaped, not at all like the wicked odd face she had been imagining, his beaded pupils swam inside large white orbs in dark rimmed lids, his nose was prominent, his lips heart-shaped, and his skin was milky-white. A mop of messy dark hair sat on his head.

 

Miyoung opened to say something but no words form on her tongue. Her eyes widened again. This time in fear that she would truly disappear. She shut her eyes. No last memories crossed her. It was time to go. The ghost vanished in a puff of smoke.

 

“You are rather cruel.”

 

“I am a Death Angel, yet they call me the ‘Grim Reaper.’”

 

“Because you are cruel. Therefore, you shall henceforth be known as that.”

 

The Death Angel massaged the back of his neck out of habit rather than need. In his line of work he’d thought he’d seen it all but humans never failed to prove him wrong.

 

He turned to the companion who had appeared and eyed the white, round, rubber ball in his clutches.

 

“Luhan, I have a job for you.”

 

“I did see it coming. That is why I came prepared.”

 

“With a soccer ball no less.”

 

“I have been practicing.”

 

“Pray Luhan, do tell, what is your real job?”

 

“I am but an Angel of Thought.”

 

“I beg of you, do not forget that.”

 

Luhan craned his head back to drop his hood. He tossed the ball in the air and caught it, “After this job we must surely have a game.”

 

“Later, Luhan.”

 

The Angel of Thought rolled his eyes before turning to venture into the human world.

 

-

 

He appeared before a strikingly handsome male with knife cut features.

 

Twinkling, doe-eyes inspected the monochrome surroundings with a hint of mistrust, before turning his attention to an auspicious fellow, veiled under a thick layer of cynicism. Luhan had many words to catalogue such a being, but he refrained from wandering.

 

 “You are first on my list,” the angel let the soccer ball drop to the ground, and volleyed it. The young man was deep in calculative thought, and although he could discern ghosts, angels were beyond him.

 

“May your memories of the dead vanquish, and your gift of seeing the deceased decay.” He kicked the ball with brute force that contrasted his delicate appearance. The ball struck the young man’s head and made a rather clamorous smack. However, the young man did not feel a thing.

 

The Angel of Thought grinned, his eyes crinkled to form dual upturned smiles. The ball came rolling back to his feet.

 

“Two down, three to go.”

 

The memories to be erased were those of Oh Sehun and Kim Hana’s abnormal dreams, as well as those that belonged to an owl.

 

-

 

Upon the completion of his duty, the Angel of Thought sought the Angel of Death.

 

“I have concluded my task, do tell me why you’ve done as such? A ghost doth ask for death but is given a second chance?”

 

“Have you ever met such a melancholic thing?”

 

“Does the Death Angel feel pity? Do Kyungsoo, thy heart doth beat for the departed?”

 

“I am a humble servant.”

 

“You avoid my question.”

 

“I do not avoid it, rather I prepare for the future.”

 

“You wished to take away the gift of sight as well as thought?”

 

“He dare meddle in my affairs. I am not ‘Forgiveness!’”

 

“Which is precisely why Chanyeol is not ‘Death.’ He doth forgive too much! But, you do not think, you have done too much? Baekhyun will not like my interference with Sight.”

 

“’Tis quite alright. The foundation of ‘life’ is not selective. We are but witnesses with responsibilities. Now if you shall excuse me, I must prepare to journey souls into the afterlife.”

 

Luhan watched the Death Angel’s dark, shimmery departure. “A ghost is vanquished upon a human’s doing. The human doth lose his supernatural ability, alongside recollection. This is all the doing of angels.”
 



Did everyone understand Angel-speak? If anyone's confused about what the hell they're saying lemme know. 

I'm not the best with dreams, but I'd like to think I'm kinda good at them. Haha.

How is this for a turn in events? Did Miyoung just invite herself into the game of Impressions? And whose side are the angels on? Those things are powerful. They have the ability to give and take away things.

Have I asked you guys if you want a happy or sad ending yet? Ending will be good for sure but happy vs sad is sitting on a balance. I've put in a character-death trigger. I won't be obvious about it. Some people will die, and some have died already i.e. the ghosts Seryung saw. Who should The Angel of Death remove?



I'm not going to go into extensive details with the angels. They have a purpose in the story. Their role is small, but powerful as you have already seen. I will give character descriptions of introduced angels here.



Supernatural characters' introduction:

The Angel of Death - Kyungsoo - is in charge of weighing deeds and sending souls where they should go. He controls death i.e. time and cause. This is where he and the Grim Reaper get confused. The Grim Reaper works for the Angel of Death. Reaper a minion of Death. And this is why Kyungsoo gets pissed off at being called a Reaper.

The Angel of Thought - Luhan - does precisely what his title says. He gives and takes away thought / memories.

The Angel of Forgiveness - Chanyeol - might not cameo, unless everyone wants a cameo for him. He controls forgiveness, like Luhan controls thought and like Kyungsoo controls death.

The Angel of Sight - Baekhyun - sight is vision, is light, is awareness. Baekhyun's ability is to give and take away 'sight.' Sight is difficult to categorize, but you've seen Luhan use 'sight' to take away Sinister's ability to see ghosts.

The angels all have their roles to play. They are able to use each others abilities. The reason for roles is so they don't cross paths. There's a lot of work to be done for the angels of Heaven. This is why they're all given a task each. Think of it this way: primary school teachers are able to teach different classes, but they are all given a class to keep things smooth and running. It's the same for the Angels.

More angels to come. Lol.