The Unstable Monster

Everlasting Impressions

“Does someone who holds a grudge against you?” Was the question the ghost had asked him. Tao grinned to himself, the question itself was vague. He hadn’t done anything to antagonize people. Walking through the corridor the offender could have been anyone. Perhaps it was all of them, maybe he was their latest ‘clown?’

 

The student chatted away with their friends, no one particularly stared at him but he felt they were all looking at him the wrong way. Their conversations were about him and their laughter was at his expense. They were all responsible, they were all stalking him. If it wasn’t them, who could it be? It could have been anyone! Maybe it was Hana? Hana was the only one he knew who was skilled in Chinese. Why was she making a mockery of him?

 

Tao shook his head. Why was he blaming her? She had assured him she would find out who was doing this to him. What if all that was a lie? What if it was really her? Was she enjoying seeing him rely on her?

 

He grit his teeth. His eyes bounced from face to face, anything that could give away even a clue. However his attempts seemed futile. In a way, they were all behind it, all of them! How could he deal with all of them? The school population was too large for him to battle alone.

 

He could just stop coming. Each school day, he learnt nothing. What was the point of attending? He wasn’t understanding anything…

 

Then, he thought he saw something, someone was acting suspicious near his locker! He almost tore down the hall as he made his way towards the ‘culprit.’ Roughly, he grabbed the boy’s collar, and pushed him against the lockers with a menacing glare in his eyes, and a twisted snarl on his face.

 

“It’s you, isn’t it!” He growled letting his fingers envelope the boy’s throat. Frightened eyes stared back at him. The buzzing of the students stopped as they paused to see what the commotion was about.

 

“W-w-w-what?” The boy rasped trying to remove Tao’s hand. Tao smirked and tightened his grip.

 

“I’ve got you now. Did you think you’d get away with it?”

 

The perpetrator slapped at Tao’s arm trying to rid himself from what was trying to close off his windpipe.

 

“I caught you red handed right at my locker!” He thundered bashing the culprit against the lockers.

 

The sinner tried to fight back, flailing his limbs as if it would work. However, Tao was a bull that’d seen red, his nostrils flared and he wanted nothing more than to punish the felon.

 

Suddenly, a third party impeded with a crack of a punch that momentarily dazed Tao. He let go of the wrongdoer and stumbled upon the attack, not sure about what had just happened. Regaining himself he whooshed to see Sehun massaging his knuckles with a grimace on his face, with Hana at his heel.

 

“Just what are you doing?” Sehun shouted at him, as if he were the one in the wrong. His jaw almost dropped, were they siding against him? His eyes drew information that his brain refused to conceive. Why was Hana helping the delinquent, hadn’t she said she was on his side? Was it really all a lie? They all looked to be on the side team, including the whispering students around them. They must have plotted everything together, Tao concluded.

 

A nefarious storm grew in his mind, he’d penalize them all with his fist! He wasn’t going to become pitiful. He wasn’t like Hana or Seryung, he could stand up for himself, he thought, as he shot his fist at Sehun.

 

Hana screamed when Sehun staggered on his feet clutching his jaw. Tao chuckled, he was far superior when it came to combat. He refused to be defeated by the likes of Oh Sehun, the boy knew nothing but books. It would be an easy win, and a good example to make of those who crossed him.

 

He narrowed his eyes at the picture of intimacy the duo before him displayed. He snorted derisively when Hana ran to check up on Sehun. Her alarm branded her a traitor. They’d both betrayed him! He wasn’t going to forgive them, either of them.

 

The whispering grew panicked making him want to laugh. Were they that afraid of him? If they were going to be this fearful, they should have never picked a fight with him. He wasn’t someone who was going to stand for it.

 

“Stop it!” Hana commanded standing before him with her arms widespread. An irksome look graced her features. He chortled at her, did she have a right to feel disappointed and angry? He didn’t think so. He approached her challengingly.

 

“Don’t you dare,” Sehun spat ing Tao away from Hana. The glower on his face clashed with his swollen lip, he looked utterly pathetic, and for a moment, Tao wondered what Hana even saw in him.

 

Tao began to laugh. He couldn’t help it, it was all too funny. His laughter chilled the vicinity. He’d really thought they were on his side. He’d been foolish! They were revealing their true colors now. He wouldn’t forgive them for lying to him.

 

He braced himself for an imminent fight. Surprisingly, he was in a good mood. Maybe he would let the incompetent Sehun land a few, feeble hits before he broke the boy’s arm? That would indeed be a sight to see! It was the price, for siding with the culprit and Tao would surely deliver.

 

Sehun did exactly what Tao had predicted. The boy threw a blind punch towards his face, in an act to defend his broken pride. Tao decided to shatter that pride, rip it to tatters, in a way it couldn’t be mended again.

 

“Tao, stop it!” Hana pleaded, trying to hold him back. “You’re acting crazy!” She yelled. He sneered, pushing her away. He was getting sick of her! She always acted like ‘a good Samaritan.’

 

He hadn’t expected it at all, or maybe he’d underestimated things, but she slapped him. He held his cheek feeling amused. So now she resorted to violence? He wondered for whose sake, Sehun? He chortled, of course they were standing up for one another like sickening lovebirds. Perhaps it as time to teach them a lesson and clip their wings?

 

He let her shake his shoulders, “Get a hold of yourself. Don’t do mad things. Tao, you can’t just go and blame your locker neighbor. He doesn’t know anything!”

 

Tao didn’t believe her. How could he when she’d blatantly taken sides with others? He her away from him, suddenly recalling something important. The villain! That guy still needed to be sanctioned, in a way he would never dare to try bully anyone again. He found the person he was looking for whimpering with his hands over his mouth. Again he wanted to laugh, he would take his time to torment too; the same way he’d been threatened. It would be excruciatingly painful, he would make sure of that.

 

“Go and get a teacher. I’ll hold him back,” Sehun spoke to the ‘offending’ student who could only nod dumbly and scamper away like a terrified rat. This antagonized Tao further, how dare they collaborate in front of him!

 

All character forgotten, he was now embroiled with immense rage that would throw even the Hulk off guard. He wanted to do more than smash, he would blow them into unrecognizable smithereens!

 

“Try it, it won’t work, but try anyway,” he egged Sehun. Behind him he could hear Hana approaching. He didn’t have the patience to listen to her anymore. His leg whipped the air, knocking her to the ground. It would take her time to scramble back to her feet after that blow. He needed her to keep down while he dealt with Sehun.

 

Sehun’s face paled, his pupils shook as he took in the scene. Slowly but surely his fists clenched into fury. Tao reckoned he’d taunted him by hitting his girlfriend. Sehun screamed and ran towards him, ready to throw punches.

 

A perfectly executed kick straight in the gut left Sehun winded. He hadn’t seen it coming, one moment he was ready to turn Tao to mince meat, and the next he felt as if he’d lost the lower half of his torso. He cringed and held his stomach. An outbreak of cold sweat told him he was in trouble. Tao looked murderous, utterly insane, as he closed in.

 

Sehun shielded himself with his arms as another kick lunged him into the crowd of people. He was shocked, perhaps that was why he felt no pain. A tingling numbness told him there was injury, however time didn’t allow him to inspect because suddenly he was lying on his back. Two sinister eyes, and a twisted smirk told him there was a chance he mightn’t live. Tao was ready to beat him into the next life. He would have done it too, if a piecing cry hadn’t stopped him in his tracks.

 

It was enough to let Tao be pushed aside. He didn’t know where to stare, at the floor or at Seryung. He wanted to melt into the ground rather than receive the look she was giving him, it was a mix of disgust and horror.

 

“Oppa, are you okay? Can you stand?” She asked worriedly. Her eyes darted from Sehun’s eyes to his injured form. As best as she could, she helped him to his feet. Group conformity changed, everyone rushed over to inquire about Hana and Sehun as if they hadn’t stood watch the whole time.

 

Tao stared at the floor. What had he just done? No one spoke to him but they did speak about him, in unfriendly words. He accepted them since most of them were proving to be true. From the wisps of conversation he learnt the extent of his damage.

 

-

 

“What are you doing here?” Seryung spat at him. It was to be expected, he’d almost crippled her brother.

 

He stared dumbly and nodded at the door, his throat dry from causing the commotion.

 

“I’m not letting you see them. Who knows what you’ll do, you unstable monster!”

 

Tao’s eyes flickered to the ground. Saying ‘I didn’t mean it’ would sound like a lie, right? Still, it was partially true. He’d never wanted to injure them. He just wanted peace of mind. Patience and self-control had never been his strengths. Maybe he was just crazy?

 

“What are you doing here, you demented idiot?” Jong In wanted to know. He frowned at Tao, and eyed him suspiciously before diverting his attention to Seryung.

 

“Are you two-timing?” He inquired slyly. Their demeanor spoke for itself. Still, he liked to tease them. They were very strange in their denial too. Undoubtedly they would grow to understand that they liked each other, whenever that was… it wasn’t his problem right now.

 

“Is Sehun inside?” He pointed to the nurse’s room. The two nodded not quite able to look at him. He shrugged, and passed through them.

 

If there was a scent that belonged to ‘couple worries’ this was it. Jong In understood why Joonmyun had refused to visit Sehun, it was because Hana looked over him like a nurse. It made him gag!

 

They were polite enough to greet him, however he didn’t feel at all comfortable between the secret looks of affection they gave each other. It made him feel like the third wheel, which he was not! Technically, he was a good friend coming to check up on his comrade. So why did it feel like he was playing peeping tom at them?

 

He cleared his throat irritated, “Yah, I know the two of you are deeply in love yadda, yadda, yadda, but I want to know if my friend here, is well enough to be able to attend classes as normal.”

 

Sehun pretended to sigh in exasperation. “If its my homework you want to copy, I’ll send it to you, no problem.”

 

It was Hana’s turn to feel agitated. She scowled at Jong In for only thinking about homework. He shrugged in response and offered her a smirk.

 

“I’d copy yours, but it probably won’t be correct,” he pointed out to her making her mood darken.

 

After somewhat lightening the mood he decided to leave. It was refreshing to squeeze his way between them because they responded so obviously that it was entertaining.

 

After the friendly banter however there was someone else he needed to see…

 

-

 

Tao remained silent mostly, haunting the outside of the nurse’s room like some kind of ghostly bodyguard. Students who passed by shot him nasty looks, which informed him that they were aware of what he’d done. Their expressions said more than their whispers to each other.

 

Across him stood another bodyguard, she was as silent as he was choosing not to speak to him whenever possible. It was as if she sought it her duty to keep him away from the dwellers beyond the door.

 

He didn’t blame her, he didn’t blame the students either, not when he was at fault. The only problem now was: how would he right the wrong? He had apologized, but was that enough?

 

“I thought you’d be inside. Guess I was wrong.”

 

The comment wasn’t aimed at him, but Tao’s stomach burned upon hearing Seo Kangjun’s voice.

 

“I came as soon as I heard about it. How are they?” Kangjun queried nodding at the door.

 

“They’re okay.”

 

“And you? How are you?”

 

“I’m fine too.”

 

Tao made a face. He didn’t want to be there anymore. Everything was his locker neighbor’s fault! If that guy hadn’t dwelled where he had, none of this might have happened! It felt better to blame others, he felt his shoulders lighten from the burden. Kangjun was looking at him with disdain, as if he’d treaded on something… unfavorable. Tao wished it was Kangjun who’d stepped in instead of Sehun, he mightn’t have felt as guilty if he beat up President’s son.

 

“You should go,” Kangjun advised him, glancing at Seryung who was making a conscious effort not to look at him.

 

“Does someone who holds a grudge against you?” The question rang bells in his head. Tao’s eyes widened for a moment. Could it be Kangjun? The guy had reason enough to hate him.

 

“Are you the one sending letters?” He demanded.

 

Kangjun arched a pristine brow. “What letters?”

 

Tao gazed from Seryung to Kangjun. Did the guy figure out that his girlfriend liked Tao? Was that the reason behind the hate? If he pondered upon it, the reason made sense… sort of. Well, more sense than others. If not Seo Kangjun, who else would know everything there was to know about him, and who would bother? Perhaps Kangjun’s reason for acting was Seryung?

 

“You’re a coward,” Tao hissed, “Hiding behind notes because things aren’t going your way.”

 

“What are you droning about?”

 

“Don’t lie. It makes sense for you to be the one. Why? Are you mad that your girlfriend likes me better?” It was sardonic of him to throw her under the bus too, but Tao wanted Kangjun to admit it.

 

“No one likes you, and because of the dumb stunt you pulled today everyone’s guaranteed to hate you.” Kangjun informed matter-of-factly.

 

Tao massaged his temples, the guy was just asking to get beat up, and if Tao hadn’t been feeling down in the dumps he would have shut him up.

 

“Tell me if it’s you, or not!” Tao snapped pushing Kangjun. The latter gave him a annoyed look before pushing him back. And so began a pushing contest in which neither contestant wanted to lose.

 

“You messed up, and now you just want someone to blame,” Kangjun said.

 

“You came here to check up on how I was reacting to your letters!”

 

“Contrary to what you believe, you’re not worth my time.”

 

“You’re pissed off because things aren’t going well with your girlfriend.”

 

That was all it took for Kangjun to lose his cool and jab Tao in the gut. Taken aback, Tao stumbled at the impact he hadn’t expected. Blinking confusedly, he wondered if the President’s model son really hit him. And when the realization was proven true he grinned. He wanted a reason to beat this guy up, and the guy had just handed one over to him.

 

Bemusement ensured, when Tao didn’t hear the breaking of Kangjun’s nose. Instead of cleanly letting him punch a hole through his face, Kangjun had caught his fist. Tao clenched his teeth, a series of expletives exonerated the President’s son in his mind. The latter was also cross, Tao could read his expression, it reflected exactly how he felt towards the guy: pure and utter hatred.

 

Just when she’d thought calmness would return, Tao had picked a fight with Kangjun. It was utterly ridiculous! What was wrong with him? She wanted to stop him but Kangjun had been somewhat faster. She prayed this would be the end of the nonsense. Her heart ached for her brother and his girlfriend, she didn’t want to see more nonsensical fighting.

 

Kangjun however had dismissed that notion. His heart harbored an intense dislike toward Tao and the ruffian had dared to hit him. The idea angered him. He propelled the boy’s arm in an unnatural direction, causing him to cry out. The idiot was still shocked, perhaps it was for the best that Kangjun choose to throw the cretin over his shoulder. It was his own fault for underestimating others.

 

Tao winced and writhed for a moment until Kangjun’s shoe pressed against his chest. He stared wide-eyed in amazement. His head was failing to process what had occurred but he had a faint idea.

 

“Listen here, I’ve had just about enough of you. You dare mess with me again, and I’ll teach you what it means to be afraid, got it?”

 

A storm brewed behind Kangjun’s eyes. The pleasant smile had been replaced by a wicked frown, and an eerie darkness emanated from him.

 

“Please, don’t you start too!”

 

The thunderously malicious intent shattered like a bulb, and Tao was helped to his feet. Still surprised he stared at the character before him, thinking he’d imagined the whole thing. A flash of warning aimed for him, was still shooting like lasers. It was telling him to leave quickly without causing a fuss. Tao scoffed, he’d been planning to do just that, and didn’t think he needed to be told.

 

After Tao had left, Seryung asked, “What was all that about?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“What do you mean nothing? You guys just fought, clearly something is up.”

 

“We wouldn’t have fought, if you just picked one guy, and stuck to him!”

 

She flinched like she’s just touched a hot iron. Shaking her head, she denied the allegation.

 

“No? Then why did you kiss him?”

 

“I didn’t kiss him…” Technically it was still half true, she hadn’t instigated it.

 

“Didn’t you?”

 

“No. Where did you hear that?”

 

“I thought you might have, from the way he seemed so proud.”

 

“He’s crazy. Don’t fight him and act crazy too.”

 

“You know, right now, it sounds like you’re protecting him.”

 

“I’m not, I have no reason to.”

 

Kangjun exhaled slowly. If she hadn’t been here, he might have been able to end the chapter of Tao from her life completely.

 

“Did you send the letters, he was talking about?”

 

He paused his thought feeling agitated. “Maybe, we should break up.”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“You don’t trust me.”

 

Her eyes grew large. “No, it’s not that I don’t trust you.”

 

“You’re doubting me because of him.”

 

“I’m not!”

 

“Then why ask?! If I told you I didn’t send anything to him, would you believe me? I don’t think you would…”

 

She groaned quietly, and reached for his hand. “I believe you because you’re not like that.”

 

“Then why do you ask me? You make me feel like I did it.”

 

“But you didn’t.”

 

“No.”

 

He sighed and ran a shaky hand through his hair. They’d fought over something that shouldn’t have mattered to either of them. “We should break up.”

 

She pressed her lips together in disdain. She didn’t want him to leave her. Despite what he thought, she needed his affection. It helped her stay calm. If it weren’t for him, she might have still been crying.

 

“I don’t want to break up…”

 

“But you don’t trust me, nor do you love me. This relationship is dead.”

 

“That’s not true. I do trust you, and I really like you.”

 

He was still dubious about it. There were times when she avoided physical contact, she wasn’t comfortable kissing him, and she stiffened when being hugged. Even holding hands was sometimes difficult. And at other times, like now, she would hug him and pretend they were okay. Like her heart didn’t belong to someone else. Like she didn’t feel guilty about being with him. Like she didn’t know he knew. Like she was lying to herself. Like she was trying her best to believe those lies. And in turn, trying to make him believe in them too.

 

-

 

Jong In was careful when he ran into Joonmyun. He rolled his eyes at his friend, and took a seat opposite him. It was just like them to arrange a meeting in an empty classroom.

 

“You realize this is all your fault right?” Jong In said.

 

Joonmyun didn’t answer, but pretended to work at something.

 

“I know you sent those letters. Don’t even think about lying.”

 

“I’m not going to lie. I did it.”

 

Jong In clicked his tongue. “Both Sehun and Hana got hurt. Even Seo Kangjun threw a fit. Don’t you think the joke’s gone a bit too far?”

 

“Do you want to copy homework?”

 

Jong In glared, “This is not the time to be talking about homework, and you know it!”

 

“Do you have an idea then?”

 

“I always have ideas, you know me.”

 

“What is it?”

 

Jong In tilted his head. His eyes twinkled in mirth. “How about we work together?”

 

-

 

Hana had heard the confrontation that had taken place on the other side of the door. A part of her was blaming herself for it. She hadn’t gotten lazy, she was trying her best to find the offending party, but there was just one problem… Kim Joonmyun didn’t leave any Chinese copybooks in his locker. She couldn’t find his handwriting, and so it was hard to pinpoint an offender.

 

She Sehun’s cheek, he was asleep after taking strong medicines. Him getting hurt like this was her fault, hers and the villain’s. Tao was partially responsible too, but not as much as the latter.

 

She didn’t know how long she could keep hoping Joonmyun would leave a clue for her. At this point it seemed impossible, and although Kangjun had denied it, she still suspected him. Perhaps it would be easier to rummage through his belongings instead?




Woah subscriber count went up... That's erm, not good... **sighs** I was really hoping to take down this story after it was done... Would have taken it down earlier but you guys keep asking me to finish it, so I will. Speaking of finishing it. There should be about 7 chapters left until that happens (I hope), unless I get an epiphany that's noteworthy enough to add as a chapter (hoping not). After that, I can pretend it never happened.^^


Anyway, I think this is the most exciting chapter so far lol. So much happened here, when I was reading it I was like O.O (yes I read my own stuff because other wise I'd be spelling 'Sehun' as 'Shun' or something -.-)

Tao is still living his nightmare, and now it's grown into a 'there are people after me' type of thing, rather than a 'Joonmyun is sending letters because he doesn't like me.' There's actually a pretty good reason 'why,' but I'm not telling you guys that yet haha.

Hana is close to catching him but erm... Will she?

Jong In wants Joonmyun to work with him, over what?

Jealously is scary... Especially when a guy fight over a girl **hides**

And where does this leave poor Sehun? Sedated on a bed TT_TT