A Sinister Exchange

Everlasting Impressions

Seryung's eyes traveled back to the defiant girl. She smiled smugly waiting for an apology. She shifted her weight to one foot and played with a strand of hair. Seryung smiled a sarcastic tight lipped smile, 'In your dreams!'


Oh Seryung's scream was muted by the ghost's. The ghost trembled as the boy threw a chair in Seryung's direction. The ghost shook her head and backed away. He was screaming for an apology but Seryung was too shocked to process anything. Her eyes rested on the chair that had narrowly missed her. The boy's hands flew to the closet table and Jinsung dematerialized when Seryung cried a desperate sorry.

 

The ghost didn't know what had happened to Oh Seryung after that. What she did know was that bullying had always been a strong root. It didn't matter which school one went to, there was always bullying. This school just happened to be where the most wealthiest students attended. No one from a middle class background dared to enter its gates because the class differences were so strong. Once labeled an outcast, it didn't matter who Oh Seryung was anymore. It didn't matter if her parent's worked for the cultural heritage administration (CHA) or held office in government, nothing mattered because she was branded by the term, 'wangta.'

 

Yang Jinsung shuddered. She felt a murderous aura capture her. It was a presence that called for blood and although Yang Jinsung was already dead she feared the sinister cold-blooded presence. She was right to fear it too because when she laid eyes on him he was humming while reading a book with such an interest that his eyes narrowed menacingly.

 

The ghost was astounded by the magnificence of his being. His features were warm yet his desire to kill was emanating so strongly the ghost felt sick. She gasped when he lifted his eyes and met hers, he gave her a smile in greeting. The ghost didn’t move, she wanted to pull away from him but his inauspicious smile froze her.

 

The sinister being tilted his head with great interest. “My, my, look what we have here! A ghost on campus, isn’t this a peculiar sight to see? Tell me, to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?”

 

The ghost shrank away shyly. The eerie male was more handsome than she’d imagined. This was the first time she’d laid eyes on him. She’d heard of him many times, but had never laid eyes on him in person.

 

“Yang Jinsung, right?”

 

The ghost’s eyes widened. “You know my name?” She asked, her jaw dropped and she stared at him.

 

“I know everyone in this school. I wasn’t aware you’d died, until now that is… How did you manage that?”

 

The ghost lowered her head. She stared at where her feet would have been had she been alive. She couldn’t remember what her feet had looked like. She’d woken up as a ghost with no recollection of her death however, she only remembered one name, Oh Sehun. She wasn’t aware of her ghostly self until she’d realized she wasn’t able to move out of the school’s grounds. She was trapped. When no one was able to see her the biting suspicions she had been feeling were confirmed.

 

“I don’t know…” Jinsung replied. She stared at the floor and then up at him. Her eyes shone with hope, “Can you find out for me?”

 

He chuckled and stood up from his seat. The tall male walked towards the window and pushed open the curtains. Light flooded into illuminating everything in its path. The ghost waited for a reply but the  he was too immersed in something else.

 

“I can help you, if you agree to help me.”

 

The ghost wasn’t sure what to say. She wanted to know what kind of deal she’d be making by joining forces with the attractive, cold-blooded fellow.

 

“O-okay.”

 

The diabolical lad smiled. He walked back to his table and picked up a red leather bound book. His quirky smile dropped to a painful one. The contents of the book had drawn him back to the school - it contained a buried secret. The secret was enough to turn the school inside out. It was enough to change the way people thought, but people were people, they didn’t like change. He clenched his jaw and dug his fingernails into the dirty leather. He’d come across the diary by chance. He hadn’t known that she’d even kept one but now that it was in his grasp. He would extract revenge.

 

“You’re staying silent. I thought you’d at least tell me where to begin my investigation,” the guy joked.

 

The ghost gazed into his empty soulless eyes. They were hauntingly attractive in the way that a ‘bad boy’ would attract a teenage girl, but there was also danger lurking in there as well as amusement. The ghost was drawn to him too. She felt compelled to hear him speak in his velvety tone. His laughter snapped her out of her trance. “W-what?” The ghost stuttered, baffled that he’d noticed, she squirmed under his gaze and shifted away.

 

“I don’t remember, that’s why I need your help. I only know that Oh Sehun is somehow related… Did he kill me? Why is his name the only thing I remember? I want you to find out for me. Can you do that?”

 

The cold-blooded fellow ran his fingers through his jet black hair. He smiled at the ghost girl. He hadn’t met a ghost he could see so vividly before, they were usually blobs of blur and their voices were strained with noise. His eyes traveled back to the diary.

 

“Oh Sehun… He’s been causing all sorts of havoc recently but what I’d like to know is, why you think Oh Sehun killed you?”

 

The ghost her cheeks and blinked. She wondered if it was safe to tell him. The ghost’s had heard stories about the good-looking yet frightening guy and none of those stories had had happy endings. She wasn’t sure where a collaboration with him would lead. The ghost exhaled and studied him carefully. His features sat gracefully on his oval face. They were exactly how someone had once described to her, 'beautiful.' She wondered if he’d gone under the knife, but there were no scars to illustrate that claim. As a ghost, Jinsung could see scars brought about by plastic surgery. In fact, she could see, hear and smell much more than she had been able to as a human. As a ghost, only her sense of touch had fizzled.

 

“Oh Sehun… He feels different… He smells, like… like death…” The ghost made a face. She wondered if her description was accurate to describe Oh Sehun. Sehun had smelt strange, like moist earth, lavender, a sickly old scent that a long unworn garment possessed. There was a strong pungent scent that threatened to collapse the ghosts lungs if she breathed too deeply. It was the smell of ‘death:’ stale yet none existing, strong yet faint, dull but deadly. The air around him was heavy, burdensome with a hint of anguish.

 

Oh Sehun’s physical impression was different to the other students. The other students were much more docile when compared to Sehun who emitted dreariness. Sehun’s darkness however, was no match from the man that stood before her. The figure before her was deadly, everything about him screamed fear and danger.

 

“Like death…?” His lips curved into a infernal smile. “That’s an interesting description alright. Are you implying that he’s going to die?”

 

“No! That’s not what I meant… He smells-“

 

“Like a murderer?”

 

The ghost scratched her head out of habit rather than need. She reflected on the question and tried to sum an answer. It was impossible to think that Oh Sehun could have killed her yet it was only him who gave her a bitter feeling and it was only him who she felt murderous towards but it was Oh Sehun. He was one of the few students who didn’t involve themselves with others.

 

“Not exactly…”

 

“I see… Then what about his sister? Does she reek of death too?”

 

The ghost flinched. She recalled Seryung’s torment and clenched her teeth. The images replayed in the ghosts mind making her shaker her head. The feeling Seryung gave was very different to Sehun. Seryung felt warm and trustworthy. The ghost didn’t understand it but there was a charm that made her want to talk to the female Sehun. A certain light glowed around Seryung. It was welcoming and pleasant. However, the alluring-eyed male had been sarcastic and chiding.

 

“You don’t like her? She seems nice.”

 

The personable man shrugged. His eyes diverted towards the diary once again. ‘Seems’ is the keyword, ‘nice’ is an overstatement.’

 

“Why is everyone picking on her?” The ghost wondered if her questions were too much because he was now glaring, not at the ghost but at something.

 

“I wonder why indeed. Maybe, she deserves it?”

 

The ghost shook her head. “No one deserves something like that. You weren’t there, you didn’t see how mean everyone was. It was like, it was like as if they wanted to break her into pieces. It was scary.” The ghost shuddered and wondered if Seryung was okay. She had an urge to check up on the girl. The ghost hesitated before uttering her next words.

 

“I think… I think Seryung can see me.”

The charismatic student snapped out of his trance. He’d been thinking of the past however, this new revelation was surprise enough to snap him out of his thoughts.

 

“She can see you?” He thought aloud. “She sees ghosts?” He smiled evilly to himself. “She’s more interesting than I thought.”

 

The ghost shifted uncomfortably. She didn’t enjoy the chilling of his voice when he spoke about Seryung. In fact, the ghost was beginning to suspect he had a hand in initiating her torment.

 

The devil tapped his chin with his forefinger, things were starting to become more interesting than before. He didn’t remember a time where he’d thought school was interesting, until now.

 

“The puppet will be returning soon. His self-righteous self will try to undo what has been happening.” He felt venom creep up his throat at the mere idea of the dummy's return. He despised the puppet from the core of his being.

 

“The puppet?”

 

“Seo Kangjun.” He spat the name and let it hang in the air. The ghost blinked in confusion and nodded uncertainly.

 

Seo Kangjun is the president’s son, he’s one of the most powerful students in the school, he can’t be a puppet,’ the ghost thought but decided to keep her thoughts to herself because the student didn’t seem to like Kangjun in the least.

 

‘The president’s puppet will be back, no doubt he’ll try to fix things. He won’t be happy to see Oh Seryung in her current predicament. The crazy fool, he’ll help her. He can’t help but help her! I dare him and when he does I’ll crush them both. I’ll destroy the puppet and that child. They won’t be able to say they didn’t deserve it.’

 

“You said you want me to find out if Oh Sehun is your murderer? I can do that but in exchange there’s something you’ll have to do for me.”

 

The ghost knew she would regret asking, but the single word what left before she could stop it. The fellow had laughed at the ghost’s expression, he threw open the leather bound diary and let the ghost read an extract. The ghost was baffled, she felt deceived, connived and most of all, she felt angry.
 


"Tis lies," the Angel of Truth whispered. A ghost was being fed tales by a human. Had something so strange ever occurred before? The Angel of Truth didn't need the Angel of Darkness to tell him that this human was up to no good. The boy's appearance spoke for itself. There was nothing trustworthy emanating from him! He would be the cause of future mischief. A chameleon that roamed the school building fearlessly. A person who didn't need to lift a finger for anything because he had others to do it for him. And a charming personality to entice whoever he saw, even ghosts. Humans could be frightful like the one before him.

There was nothing the Angel of Truth could do in this situation. He was not supposed to alter what should happen. His functionality did not possess free-will like that. 'Free-will' only existed in humans, alive and dead, and that was the reason for Heaven and Hells existence. 

"There exists not good, nor bad. The world doth be a canvas of vast colors." The Angel of Truth uttered wisely. He pitied them both for their poor  instincts. The dead were not allowed to play with the living. It was a story that would end in sorrow. For better or for worse, that was up to them to decide.