Learning To Love

Learning To Love

Chapter 30

 

Early the next morning, while they ate breakfast, Jaejoong noticed that Yuri looked happier, with a genuine smile on her face. She caught him staring at her but neither of them looked away. Instead, their smiles only grew wider, "Last night was amazing. Thank you again." Her eyes twinkled.

 

"I'm glad it made you happy. I wish I didn't come so late though." He felt guilty for not being able to celebrate with her earlier but seeing her so happy & delighted during the fireworks seemed to make up for his tardiness, "Don't worry about it. I know how important that project meant to you. Speaking of work, the project in London is going to begin soon & I have been arranged to go oversee it." She said.

 

"What? So how long will you be gone for?" He put down his fork & stared at her as if not understanding her words, "For five months only. I will be fine. My dad has a complex over there where I will be staying & if you are really worried, I will even go for a full body examination before I leave which will be at the beginning of next month."

 

‘Only five months?’ His mind echoed, ‘As if London isn't already far enough, she makes it sound like five months is five minutes.’ He thought bitterly.

 

Jaejoong tried to spend as much time as he could with her before she left but the one thing that came between them was always work. Career was such a big part of their lives that neither were willing to give up those overtime hours to go home early & spend time with each other. Even setting an appointment with Dr. Kim was a hassle since Yuri had to make time off her busy schedule & Jaejoong had insisted on coming along so his schedule had to be taken into account as well.

 

The night before Yuri left, she found Jaejoong standing outside the bedroom door, "Yuri, since tonight is your last night here, I was wondering if...if I can sleep in here, too? With you I mean since you are going to be gone for a long time & I'm going to miss you." He began, mumbling to himself, "Sure, why not?" She made room for him on the bed & turned off the lamp on the nightstand, "After I'm gone, you don't have to sleep in the guest room anymore. Good night, Jaejoong Oppa." She yawned & closed her eyes.

 

Jaejoong was hoping to have a nice talk with her or at least do some snuggling which was something that they hadn't done for the longest time. He saw that she was fast asleep already, probably dead tired from running around all day, preparing for the trip.

 

At the airport, he refused to let go of her, "Oppa, my flight is about to leave." Yuri tried to pull herself away from him but to no avail, "Take care of yourself. Be careful. Don't talk to strangers. Call home some time." He finally let go of her, "For the last time, don't worry about me. As for yourself, don't work overtime so much & don't fall asleep on the couch without a blanket." She called to him, as she walked into the gate & handed her passport to the attendant.

 

This was the ultimate test of their faith. Not only did time stand between them but now, distance as well. Work was their best friend & it kept them company as they drowned themselves with it from morning to night. With Yuri gone, the house was even quieter at night. Jaejoong had moved back into the bedroom & every night, he would hugged the pillow tightly, wrapping himself in Yuri's scent, "Five months?! How am I going to survive five months without her?!" He cried out. However, the five months weren’t as agonizing as he had thought.

 

Yuri called home every week, to report the progress of the project & to ask about the family. Sometimes, she would call twice a week, if something special had come up. Each time the phone rang, Jaejoong would jump up & snatch the cradle, desperate to hear her voice. Even after she hung up, he held onto the phone, with her voice echoing in his mind.

 

Oh, how he missed her sweet smile, the way she looked at him, the way she hugged him & the way she would hold him close while they made love. Jaejoong groaned inwardly. It had been such a long time.

 

The springs creaked loudly & the bed shook with each gasps that came out of her thin lips pale pink. She brushed the long, brown with blonde highlights hair out of her eyes & looked at him intently, "Yes, yes. Oh, mmm." Her voice was coarse & dry, her breathing jagged & quick. The sweat gleamed on his body as he moved faster & faster. He was silent as he concentrated on what he was doing. The woman beneath him squirmed & moaned.

 

"Oh, yes. Jae...Jaejoong Oppa." She whispered, through gritted teeth as she clinged onto the bed sheets. He collapsed onto her body & kissed her deeply. Then he rolled over & picked up a cigarette from the nightstand, "Don't think I didn't hear you." He said to her, as he lit it, "What are you talking about?" June covered herself & took a cigarette too, "You called me Jaejoong! I told you I don't mind what you fantasize about while you are with me but just don't say it out loud! Geez, how would you like it if I started screaming some girl's name?!" He spat out.

 

"Sorry, sorry. I just got a little too involved there." June smiled cheekily & then placed her head on Minho's shoulder, "Life is so good to me. Yuri's in London & the incoming projects just seem to be forcing me & Jaejoong to stay overtime. It's only a matter of time before sparks fly between us." She smiled to herself & took another drag of her cigarette, "You crazy woman." Was Minho's last comment before he got up & went to hit the shower.

 

The company was doing exceptionally well & profits were skyrocketing. To celebrate everyone's hard work, the office decided to hit the pubs one night. Jaejoong was reluctant to go but since he had nothing better to do at home but stare at the wall, he went as well. The music blasted his ear & the bright lights blinded him. Everywhere he looked, he saw couples making out in the corner or groups of drunken people dancing.

 

"You guys go have fun okay? You deserve this. Thanks for working so hard everybody." Jaejoong waved his employees off & sat down at the counter by himself. Throughout the night, many girls came to ask him to dance & several wanted him to buy drinks for them but he told them he was waiting for someone & that they should go find someone else. His thoughts drifted back to Yuri & he found that the more he drank, the more real the images became.


June stood at the far end of the bar, watching him drown himself in alcohol. When he looked like he had just about enough to drink, she began to make her way towards him, "Oppa, I think you have had too much to drink tonight. I better take you home." She took his arm & pulled him towards the back door.