Learning To Love

Learning To Love

Chapter 2

 

Yuri sat down in front of her dresser & began applying eyeshadow on. Next, she proceeded to tie her mid-back length brown hair up into a ponytail. Finally, she pulled her silver heather cropped utility jacket on & headed downstairs to wait for Jaejoong.

 

He had called the day before to set up a time for their date that night. Yuri had been stressed out that this was going to be casual & since her feet were tired of wearing high heels, she was just going to go out in comfortable clean white super skinny jeans & a peach color, short sleeve, tag-free neckline, croft & solid pique polo top.

 

She didn't think too much about the date. She had dated in the past but her boyfriends always wanted much more than she was willing to give & therefore, the relationships never lasted long. That's why Yuri decided to concentrate on work & didn't think about love or marriage.

 

Jaejoong threw his black clariechase executive briefcase onto his bed & rushed into the bathroom to take a shower. He was supposed to pick up Yuri in half an hour & he wasn’t even ready yet. After stepping out of the shower, he slipped on a blue wearfirst reverse pigment spray shirt & buffalo david bitton driven light & crinkled wash jeans.

 

He ran a comb through his short, dark brown hair a few times & hurried down the stairs & hopped into his car. On his way over to Yuri’s house, he kept anticipating what the evening was going to be like.

 

This was officially his first date with her & he felt obligated to get along well with her because he knew that they would be getting married in a few months. A part of him was nervous because he wanted to have a good time with Yuri but wasn't really sure how.

 

Hard to imagine what it would be like to be married to a woman you don't even know & be expected to actually start a family with her. The other part of him didn’t want to care too much about the date because he saw the whole marriage & courtship arrangement as a business deal.

 

Jaejoong arrived at Yuri’s house at exactly eight-thirty. As soon as his car stopped in the front driveway, the door to the Kwon’s mansion opened & Yuri stepped out. Jaejoong's jaw dropped open when he saw how the strict, professional business-like Yuri had transformed into a out-going girl who was ready to have fun.

 

"Hey." She said, as she got into his car. She looked at him up & down.

 

"Good, I didn't want to look too under-dressed. I haven't worn jeans in a while. It's usually either suits or formal clothes for business dinners. Sure feels good to be able to walk around in sneakers." Yuri explained to Jaejoong.

 

"Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like my tie is suffocating me." Added Jaejoong.

 

During the ride, they chatted happily & told each other about their childhoods.

 

"I used to tell ghost stories to Sungmin & Seohyun when we were younger. They always had nightmares & my mom would yell at me for scaring them." Yuri recalled.

"Really? Hyoyeon isn't afraid of anything so it was hard for me to scare her. She used to catch bugs with me in the garden but she probably doesn't remember a thing about that now." Jaejoong informed Yuri.

 

They walked into the theatre, laughing & talking along the way. At nine-eighteen, the lights dimmed & the movie began. Yuri’s brown, almond-shaped eyes were glued to the screen as she devoured every detail of the movie.

 

"Ah!" The woman screamed loudly, as she found the corpse of her daughter in the closet. Yuri drew in her breath as the grotesque scene flashed before her. Jaejoong turned his head sharply as he thought Yuri would be scared & needed to cling onto his arm but Yuri sat still & stared at the screen as if hypnotized by the flashing images. Jaejoong’s heart thumped loudly through his chest & he held his breath as the woman prepared to turn the chair around to look at her dead boyfriend.

 

"Oh my gosh!" He gasped, as the woman screeched her head off. When the movie ended, the two of them slowly got out of their seats & walked outside.

 

"Whoa, that was like the freakiest movie I have ever seen." Yuri said shakily.

 

"I know. It was so scary I was about to scream." Yuri gave Jaejoong a quizzical look.

 

"I thought you liked horror films? I didn't think that you had get scared so easily." Yuri teased.

 

"I do like them but that doesn't mean I'm immune to the scariness. Besides, you are supposed to be scared; that's why people watch scary movies." Jaejoong defended himself.

 

"Really? I thought people watch scary movies to take advantage of their dates when the scary scenes come on." Yuri said jokingly.

 

"Is that why you didn't scream? Because you thought I was going to take the chance & put my arms around you?" Jaejoong said in a half serious, half joking tone.

 

"Yeah, totally!" Yuri retorted sarcastically, "I can tell you are such a ert!"

 

"I can't believe you would think that about me." Jaejoong pretended to be hurt by Yuri's comment.

 

"I mean, if I was, wouldn't I have made my move that time you fell asleep in my office?"

 

"Yeah, why didn't you?" Yuri challenged him cheekily.

 

They continued to joke around as Jaejoong pulled into a restaurant. No one realized how late it was until the waitress came to informed them that it was closing time.

 

"I better drive you home; you probably have to get to the office early tomorrow." Jaejoong said.

 

"Nah, don't worry about it. I get saturday's off so I usually sleep in but if you have to go then yeah let's go." "No, I'm off tomorrow, too. Hey, I heard there's a meteor shower tonight. Let's stay up & watch it." Jaejoong suggested excitedly.

 

He drove them to the park & they ‘Oh’ & ‘Ah’ at the beautiful shower of falling stars.

 

"Make a wish." Yuri urged, "But you can't say it out loud or else it won't come true." She added.

 

"I wish that our marriage will work out & we will learn to love each other & live happily ever after." Jaejoong whispered softly.

 

"I wish that a strong force called love will bring us together & bond our hearts as one so we can learn to love & cherish one another." Yuri said softly, to the falling stars above.

 

When she opened her eyes, she found Jaejoong gazing intently at her.

 

"Did you wish that you won't get a phone call from the girl in the movie?" Jaejoong joked.

 

"It's just a movie, for god sake. Why would I be afraid of her?"

 

"I wouldn't say that if I were you. What would do you if you saw her in the rearview mirror right now?" Jaejoong tried to scare Yuri.

 

"Stop it." Yuri shivered slightly.

 

"Are you cold? Here, take my jacket."

 

’Aw, what a gentleman.’ Yuri thought, as she let Jaejoong put his navy ripstop moto solid jacket around her shoulders.

 

"I will drive you home now." When they got to her door, Yuri didn't seem to want to get out of the car.

 

"I had such a great time tonight, Jaejoong Oppa. I haven't had this much fun since I was back in university. Thanks for the awesome time." She proceeded to hand him back his jacket.

 

"No, just take it. You will get cold when you step out of the car. You can give it back to me whenever. We do work in the same building remember?"

 

"Okay, thanks. Goodnight then." Yuri didn't really want to take off Jaejoong’s jacket either. In the safety of her own room, Yuri secretly smiled to herself as the jasmine, musk, oak moss & sandalwood scent of Jaejoong’s davidoff cool water cologne drifted from his jacket to Yuri’s sharp & pointed nose.


"Not a bad start." She said to herself, as she prepared for bed.