Learning To Love

Learning To Love

Chapter 1

 

Dohyun Kim & his family were already waiting for the Kwon’s as they walked into the restaurant. After everyone sat down, Yuri & Jaejoong were formally introduced for the first time.

 

"You must be Yuri; I have heard so much about you from your parents. Darling, this is my son, Jaejoong, whom you are to marry in eight months time." Eunseo Kim said sweetly to Yuri.

 

Yuri smiled politely to her future-in-laws & gave Jaejoong an acknowledging nod. She then turned around & gave her mother a ‘What did you say about me’ glare.

 

"So, let's go over the details of the wedding. We will have an engagement party at our place next month. Remember to invite the Gwak's, Nam's, Dong's." Mrs. Kim rambled on & on.

 

"Oh, don't forget the Ryu's & Bang's." The two women chatted excitedly, as their husbands discussed future plans for the Kim-Kwon Corporation.

 

This left Yuri & Jaejoong to talk amongst themselves. The two didn't really know what to say because most of the people they usually associate with were either business partners or clients.

 

Sometimes, Yuri’s brother, Sungmin, would even say that she's anti-social if she didn't occasionally go out with her close friends. Jaejoong’s mind wandered to the business meeting that he had be attending the next day. Both youngsters drifted off into their own worlds as the adults chatted around them.

 

Only when the food was served did Jaejoong notice his mother's elbow in his rib, hinting to him that he should get some food for Yuri.

 

"It's okay; I can get it myself." Yuri replied.

 

"What a polite girl." Mr. Kim commented, as Yuri helped herself.

 

"She will make a wonderful wife to our Jaejoong." Mrs. Kim cooed. Both, Mr & Mrs. Kwon smiled proudly.

 

"I have an idea; Jaejoong, why don't you take Yuri out for a movie after dinner & you two can get to know each other better?" Mr. Kim suggested. Jaejoong was about to protests that he had to prepare for his meeting tomorrow when he met his mother's warning eyes.

 

"Sure, I can spare a few hours for a movie." Yuri interjected, Jaejoong’s thoughts.

 

‘I hope she doesn't like chick flicks.’ Jaejoong silently prayed.

 

After dinner, the parents drove off to their respective homes & Yuri got into Jaejoong’s black lamborghini.

 

"So, what movie do you want to see?" Jaejoong finally broke the silence in the car. This was their first real conversation since they were introduced to each other.

 

"I don't really care. As long as it isn't a chick flick." Yuri replied.

 

"I hate sappy movies; so girly." Jaejoong raised a thick eyebrow & looked over at Yuri. She sure looked like a girly girl with her baby pink lips gloss & navy chiffon trim, v-neck, sleeveless simply vera wang textured empire dress.

 

"What?" Yuri turned to look at Jaejoong.

"I know, I know, my mom made me wear this. I'm usually in my business suit though. I'm so not used to these clothes."

 

‘Hmmm, she doesn't seem so bad.’ Jaejoong thought to himself, ‘Maybe I will even learn to love her.’

 

During the half an hour ride to the theatre, Yuri & Jaejoong attempted to carry a conversation & avoided the awkward silence but because both were more used to talking to clients, it was difficult to start an interesting conversation. Three minutes later, Yuri’s samsung galaxy note two rang.

 

"Excuse me." She said to Jaejoong, while digging through her anne klein trinity satchel small top handle bag, "Kwon Yuri speaking. Yes, I asked my secretary to send out the contract yesterday. I will meet with him next week."

 

Jaejoong drifted off to his own thought as Yuri discussed business matters with her new client. He remembered that he had a meeting to prepare for. He wished that he could go home right away but thought that it would be rude of him to ditch Yuri.

 

"Alright, I will contact you tomorrow. Thank you; goodbye." Yuri turned off her phone & turned to Jaejoong, "I'm sorry about that. My new client is very picky about all the details of our contract, that's why she called me at such a late hour." Yuri said apologetically.

 

"It's okay. My clients do that all the time." Jaejoong said.

 

"Um...actually, I have some things to finish up at home. I don't think I can see a movie with you tonight. Do you mind just driving me home?" Yuri prayed that Jaejoong wouldn’t be too upset that she ended their so-called date early.

 

"Sure, no problem. I have a few things I want to work on as well." Jaejoong flashed her an understanding smile. They drove to Yuri’s house in silence. Both were thinking about the documents they needed to review after they get home. Yuri felt relieved that Jaejoong didn't get mad.

 

"We will go out to the movie another night. Give me a call when you have time. Thanks for the ride." Yuri waved goodbye to Jaejoong & stepped into her house.

 

She found her parents, brother & sister in the living room, staring at her blankly.

 

"Unnie, why are you home so early?" Asked Yuri’s younger sister, Seohyun.

 

"Mom said that my future brother-in-law was taking you out to a movie?"

 

"My new client called so I had to cancel the date with Jaejoong Oppa. He seemed fine about it." Yuri said hurriedly, as she went up to her room.

 

"Aigoo, when is that daughter of ours going to learn to take business off of her top priority list?" Mr. Kwon rolled his eyes in annoyance!

 

"So, what does my future sister-in-law look like? Is she pretty? Do you like her?" Hyoyeon barged into Jaejoong’s room as soon as he came home.

 

"Oppa, answer me. Did sparks fly between you two?" Jaejoong ignored Hyoyeon as he his computer & began to look over the main detail of the next day's meeting.

 

"Hey, didn't mom say you were taking Yuri-Sshi out to a movie?" Hyoyeon shut off Jaejoong’s monitor to get his attention.

"Quit that! Can't you see I'm working?! & no, we didn’t go see a movie because she had more important things to do & so do I!" Jaejoong growled.

 

For the next hour, Hyoyeon laid on her brother's bed, giving him advice on how to make things more interesting with Yuri. Jaejoong half paid attention while trying to work but at the back of his mind, he remembered Yuri’s sweet smile as she bid him good night.

 

During the next few weeks, Mr. Kwon & Mr. Kim let Yuri & Jaejoong take charge of a new project with a Japanese company. Since both youngsters took Japanese in university, it was easier for Kim-Kwon Co. to discuss business deals with their Japanese clients.

 

This also gave Jaejoong & Yuri a chance to know each other better. The two would often stay late at the office until past midnight. One time, Yuri fell asleep on the couch & Jaejoong put his black topman cropped trench coat on her & let her sleep.

 

He, himself, continued to work until he got too tired. Yuri woke up in the morning & discovered herself on the couch in Jaejoong’s office with Jaejoong’s coat around her shoulders & poor Jaejoong asleep on the floor amongst the pile of folders.

 

She gently draped his coat around his shoulders & quietly cleaned up the papers around him. Then she went to the bathroom to wash her oval-shaped face. When she walked back into the office with a cup of tea, Jaejoong was already awake, putting the final report together.

 

"Wow, we are finally finished with this." Jaejoong greeted, as he saw Yuri walking in.

 

"I didn't know you woke up already. Do you want me to get you a coffee? Oh, & sorry about making you sleep on the floor last night." Yuri said sheepishly.

 

"I'm a gentleman; I would never let a lady sleep on the floor when she can sleep comfortably on the couch." "Why don't I treat you out to breakfast as a thank you for being such a gentleman & for celebrating the fact that we finally finished this project?" Yuri yawned.

 

"Sure, why not? I'm starving." Jaejoong replied, while rubbing his stomach. The two had breakfast at a nearby cafe & then Jaejoong dropped Yuri off at her house.

 

"Hey, I think the ring will still be showing this friday; want to go see it with me?" Jaejoong asked, while Yuri unbuckled her seatbelt.

 

"I had love to. Just call me in a few days beforehand. Bye. " As soon as Yuri walked through the door, Seohyun jumped on her & badgered her with questions.

 

"Unnie, how was your first night together with Jaejoong Oppa? Was it romantic? Did anything happen? Did you guys do anything?"

 

Yuri playfully pushed Seohyun out of her way, "You nasty girl, what is your dirty mind thinking about? We didn't do anything improper. We just stayed up & worked on our project." Yuri said, as she slammed the door on Seohyun before Seohyun could ask anymore questions.

 

When she stepped out of the bathroom after her shower, Seohyun was still in her room, eyeing her mischievously.

 

"Tell me what you guys talked about. I don't believe that you guys talked about work the entire time." Seohyun pressed.

 

"We talked about movies, books & music. Turns out he loves horror & thriller, too. We are going to see the ring on friday." Yuri recalled the long conversation she had last night with Jaejoong.

 

They had more in common that she thought. Not only were both of them very devoted to their careers, they both shared the same taste in movies, books & music.

 

"Oh, first date. What are you going to wear? How are you going to do your hair? Are you going to grab onto his arm when you are scared? I heard that the ring is the scariest movie of the year." Seohyun gushed excitedly, "I will think about that later; I'm so tired. Now, can you please go outside so I can get some sleep?" Yuri yawned for the hundredth time that morning.


Seohyun crept outside & gently shut the door while Yuri drifted off to sleep, reminiscing the first night she spent with Jaejoong.