Learning To Love

Learning To Love

Chapter 25

 

A pair of eyes stared dreamily off into space. The memories of that night were still fresh in her head. She had given Jaejoong a good scolding afterwards for sneaking up on her & scaring the living daylights out of her but she had to admit, she loved his naughty side.

 

A small grin began to emerge from her glossy hot pink lips & Yuri closed her eyes as she imagined Jaejoong raining kisses on her neck. When she opened her eyes, she realized that her fantasy had somehow come true. The exotically sensual sensation on her neck was real; she wasn't imagining it.

 

She moaned then lifted her chin up to take a look at her charming husband but yielded the perfect opportunity for Jaejoong to capture her lips in a long ardent kiss.

 

"When did you come in?" She gave him a questioning look, "A long time ago. I saw you daydreaming & I couldn't help myself but I just had to kiss you. You looked too adorable."

 

Yuri smiled radiantly at the comment, "Really, I do?" She asked, just to hear it from him again, "Yes, you do, my dearest. Now, let's go get something to eat; I'm starving." He gave her a peck on the cheek & pulled her up. As the couple walked out of the elevator, hand in hand, into the main lobby, a man in a technician's coverall walked into the adjacent elevator. He turned his head around & caught a glimpse of the young couple that he had just brushed shoulders with & smiled to himself.

 

He worked silently & efficiently, disconnecting the cable cord to the elevator shaft & finally putting an ‘Out of Order’ sign outside the elevator door. He walked out of the building & threw his rubber gloves into the garbage can on the side of the road.

 

The building was quiet when Jaejoong & Yuri came back in after dinner, "We have to take the stairs." Yuri tugged Jaejoong towards the stairwell & held the door open for him, "Don't be so lazy. Time for you to walk off that fat you just consumed." She poked his ribs & giggled when he tickled her.

 

They walked to Yuri's office & Jaejoong kissed her gently on the lips, "I will come up here to get you; wait for me & don't work too hard."

 

"Jaejoong Oppa, wait." Yuri pulled him close to her body & gave him a long, passionate kiss. He wrapped his arms around her waist & hugged her tightly, "Wait for tonight." He whispered into her ear, after breaking the kiss softly.

 

The night seemed to fly by as they both finished their work in the office. Before Yuri knew it, the clock clicked ten on her computer, ‘I will give Oppa a surprises.’ She thought to herself, as she gathered her things & began walking to the staircase.

 

She felt someone following her but when she turned around, there were only shadows behind her. The door shut silently behind her as she entered the stairwell.

 

She heard low breathing behind her & when she turned around, she was confronted by a man whom she had never seen before. She was about to keep on walking down the stairs until his voice stopped her.

 

"Did anyone ever tell you how beautiful your face is, Yuri?" She froze in her tracked. Who was this man & how did he know her name? "Oh wait, I'm sure Jaejoong has told you many times." He reached out to touch Yuri's face & she instinctively pulled back.

 

"Who are you? What do you want from me?" Fear flooded her mind & she turned to escape down the stairs. However, before she could reach the next floor, he had caught up to her & grasped her arm, "Let go of me!" She screamed. She could smell beer & in his breath.

 

"Yuri." He hiccupped & tightened his grip on her arm. Using all her strength, Yuri pulled away from him & fled down the stairs. He stumbled blindly behind her but she was too quick for him. She almost reached the safety of Jaejoong's floor until her foot slipped & she twisted her ankle, causing her to lose her balance & fall down the stairs.

 

When she got to the bottom of that floor, her head hit the wall & her abdomen smashed into the hand railing which sent her rolling head over heels down the stairs with her screams echoing the empty staircase.

 

Jaejoong opened the door to the stairwell just in time to hear Yuri's screamed & see her body coming down. He quickly caught her before her head hit the ground & he gasped when he saw the blood on her forehead, "Yuri. Yuri." He shook her frantically but she was already unconscious.

 

He called the ambulance & carried her outside to the lobby while dabbing her bleeding forehead. He was completely oblivious to the blood that was flowing down her legs.

 

Yuri was rushed to the emergency room with Jaejoong by her side, holding her hand the entire time. He finally let go when the nurses pried his fingers away from Yuri's.

 

"Please cooperate with us, Mr. Kim? We are trying to help your wife." The nurse said gently. Within half an hour, the two households were sitting outside the emergency ward of the hospital.

 

"What's taking them so long?" Jaejoong muttered impatiently, "Oppa, stop pacing around. Here, why don't you have something to drink?" Hyoyeon offered him a water bottle which he shoved away rudely.

 

"Yuri will be okay, I'm sure of it." Mrs. Kim said soothingly, to her son, "You weren't there, mom! You didn't see all the blood! Don't you understand?!" Jaejoong shouted angrily.

 

"Shhh, it's okay." Mr. Kwon patted his son-in-law's back & quieted him down, "Let the doctors do their job." Everyone tried to remain calm but it was hard because Jaejoong, who was usually the most rational one, was about to rip out his hair from the anxiety.

 

No one, not Hyoyeon, not Mr. Kim, not Mrs. Kim & certainly not the Kwon's, has ever seen Jaejoong in this state before. The minutes turned into hours & Jaejoong grew even more restless. Finally, the emergency lights blinked off & everyone jumped to their feet.

 

The doctor came out & was immediately bombarded by a stream of questions, "How is the patient?" "Will she be okay?" "When can we see her?" He cleared his throat & silenced the crowd.

 

"Who is the immediate family of Mrs. Kim Yuri?" "I’m her husband." Jaejoong stepped forward, ready to receive the news that the doctor was about to give him, "Your wife suffered a minor concussion, some bruises & a twisted ankle. Her condition is quite stable right now but I'm afraid to say that the baby didn’t survive." The doctor shook his head.

 

"Baby?! What baby?!" Jaejoong screamed, "Mrs. Kim was two months pregnant. However, she had a miscarriage when she fell down the stairs. She's asleep right now & when she wakes up tomorrow, we will perform a thorough body check on her. I suggest that you all go home & come back to see her in the morning." With those final words, the doctor walked off & left Jaejoong standing there in shock, "Baby? Yuri was pregnant with my baby?" He mumbled incoherently. He stood in his spot & refused to move.

 

"Jaejoong, honey, go home & get some sleep." His mother urged him. One by one, they all went home, grieving secretly the loss of Yuri's baby. Jaejoong stood outside the emergency room for what seemed like hours. He slowly wandered to the front desk & asked for Yuri's room number then found his way to her room.

 

He turned the knob slowly, afraid that he would wake her up. Jaejoong's heart ached as he saw his princess lying on the hospital bed with her forehead wrapped in bandages. He sat down slowly & took her hand into his. They were cold, just like her pale face & bloodless lips.

 

"Yuri, I'm so sorry. If only I had come earlier." He closed his eyes as tears slowly streamed down his handsome face. The pale moonlight shone through the window & fell onto her face. He reached out & touched her cheek gently, it & lingered his fingers on her lips.

 

He bent over & kissed her softly. He couldn’t resists & as he did so, his tears dropped onto her face, "I love you, Yuri." He whispered, before he got up & closed the door behind him. He walked lifelessly through the parking lot to his car.

 

When he started the engine & stepped on the accelerator, the grief drained out of him & was replaced by anger. He speed out of the parking lot & down the road, stomping on the gas pedal. Thankfully, there weren’t many stoplights between the hospital & highway because Jaejoong wouldn't have stopped anyway.

 

The highway was deserted. Jaejoong floored it & like a bolt of lightning, his car accelerated into the night. Eighty; one hundred; one twenty; one forty; one sixty; one hundred eighty kilometres per hour. Jaejoong's mind was blank. He couldn’t think. He couldn’t feel.

 

He mind kept replaying the image of Yuri with blood pouring from her forehead. The doctor's words rung in his ear, ‘The baby didn’t survive. The baby didn’t survive. The baby didn’t survive.’

 

"No!" Jaejoong screamed, & stomped on the brakes. The tires screeched to a halt & Jaejoong's body was forcefully thrown forward by the inertia. After he calmed down & got home safely, Jaejoong drowned his worries & anger in the shower.

 

Bright & early the next morning, he went to visit Yuri with a bouquet of fresh roses. He practiced smiling before getting out of the car, swallowing the dry lump in his throat. He pushed the door of her room open & came in just to see his in-laws standing up.

 

"Thank goodness you are here, Jaejoong." Mrs. Kwon breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Jaejoong, "Yuri refuses to eat & refuses to talk. The doctor says she has temporary amnesia; she can't remember anything from last night incident. I guess she's still in shock. Maybe you can try to get her to eat something." Mr. Kwon pointed to the bowl of soup on the nightstand beside Yuri's bed.

 

The door clicked shut behind them & Jaejoong looked down at his wife. Her eyes were glassy & lifeless, staring off into nothingness, "Good morning, darling." He kissed her cheek lightly & sat down beside her. There was no responses from Yuri.

 

He reached out for her hand but she pulled away from him. Jaejoong buried the pain inside & tried again. This time, she put her hand under the blanket, "How are you feeling? Does your head still hurt?" He asked, trying to get to her from a different approach.

 

Still, Yuri didn’t respond. She continued to stare at the ceiling as tears emerged from the corner of her eyes, dripping down to her pillow. Jaejoong attempted to wipe her tears away with a tissue but she turned her face away.

 

He took in a deep breath, "I'm so sorry, Yuri. I know you are hurting inside. So am I but we are still young. We can try again, in the future." There was a sense of hope in his voice.


"Don't joke with me, Oppa." She finally spoke, & a bitter laugh escaped her lips. He looked up at her surprisingly. With her eyes still fixed on the ceiling & her voice cold & empty, she said, "The doctor said I damaged my uterus. It would take a miracle for me to ever conceive again."