Gives Up

Complicated Love: ToDay and Tomorrow

“Lu…na.” SeulMi was having hard time breathing. It felt as if someone was slowly choking her to death. Luna walks over to her side and bend overs slaps her.

“You know what oppa did to me?” Luna chuckles, “He broke up with me today so that he could be with you.” She scrunches her eye brows together, “What is so special about you that I don’t have?”

“You- don’t – have to – do this.” SeulMi tries hard to breathe.

“I have to; because I love Kai oppa and I will do anything to get him. If that means taking you out of this world than so be it.” Luna grabs the napkin from the bed. SeulMi saw the yellow pollen on it.

“An-dwe.” SeulMi tries to back away slowly. Luna smiles

“It has to be done.” She quickly grabs SeulMi and put the napkin on . SeulMi scratches Luna and tries her best, but she couldn’t do it. She felt the airway closing.

*Andwe. This can’t be the end.* SeulMi tears fell, *JongIn, Help Me! Where are you? Help me!* SeulMi eyesight began to blur.

“Yah, who are you and what are you doing?” SeulMi felt someone left Luna off of her. The napkin fell and she could breathe again, “Yah! SeulMi-ssi Stay with me.” SeulMi was wheezing, “Yah!” Luna sat on the floor stunned.

 

Kai walks into the room with flowers and the lunch bag. As soon as he opens the door he sees Luna on the floor and a man by the bed. Kai puts the stuff on the couch.

“Luna what are you doing here?” Luna looks up at Kai

“O- oppa.” Luna looks back at the bed. Kai looks that way too. He saw DongWon carrying SeulMi bridal style.

“What happened?” Kai notice SeulMi’s lips were starting to turn blue and she couldn’t breathe.

“Why don’t you ask her?” DongWon runs out with SeulMi in his arm, “I need help here!” Kai looks back at Luna who seemed out of it.

“What did you do?” Kai walks up to her, “What did you do to SeulMi?” he held her arm and notice the yellow substance on it, “Is this pollen?” Luna looks away, “You tried to kill her? Wae!” Kai shook her, “Waeyo!”

“It is because you broke up with me!” Luna scream, “You left me for that . What does that make me? Why is she so important?”

“She is the woman I love and she is my friend.” He grips he arm tighter, “If anything happens to her I’ll never forgive you.” Kai pushes her and runs out.

 

Kai ran and saw DongWon standing by the Emergency door.

“DongWon ssi, how is she?”

“I don’t know.” DongWon looks at Kai, “Who was that woman back there?” Kai wanted to avoid looking at DongWon.

“She is my ex-girlfriend.” DongWon scoffs,

“Aish…I almost killed the girl on the spot. When I got into the room she had SeulMi pinned down and cover with a napkin.”

“Thank you for watching over her.” He bows, “Thank you very much.”

 

Everyone came rushing into SeulMi’s room. Luna was still there. Mrs. Song came running into SeulMi’s room with tears. She looks at Kai.

“What happened?” Kai just looks at Luna. Mrs. Song turns her head and looks at Luna who was sitting on the couch. She walks over to Luna.

SLAP

“What did you do to my niece you ?” Luna didn’t answer, “What did you do?” she grabs Luna’s collar, “What did she do to you to make you hate her like this? She already dying. Why are you making it worse?”

EunMi and Xiumin helps gets Mrs. Song off of Luna. “Ajumma you have to calm down.” Said EunMi, “SeulMi needs to rest, and other patients can hear you.” Mr. Song gaze never left Luna for a sec.

“She already lost her family and everyone she loves why are you doing this still. She barely has the will to live and you want to kill her.” Mrs. Song had tears in her eyes, “She is the only memory I have of my dongsae. I’m not going to forgive you if she dies because of this.”

“Ajumma.” Said Kai. Mrs. Song looks back at Kai.

“And you, this is partial your fault. My niece wouldn’t have been in this situation if not for you. If you would had just played your role as a husband none of this would have happened.” Mrs. Song sighs, “I want you and your little friend here out.”

“Ajumma.”

“OUT!”

Kai bows and was about to leave when he felt someone hold onto his arm. He looks at sees SeulMi awake. “SeulMi.” he holds her hand and caught everyone’s attention, “How are you feeling?”

“Is this really you?”

“Ne, it is me.”

“I thought I’ll never get to see you again.” SeulMi smiles

“You’ll see me every single day. I won’t leave you ever again.” They stared at each other with smiles on their faces for a while.

“Can you guys leave us alone for a sec?” No one said a thing and left the room. Mrs. Song was still upset but if it was for her niece’s happiness she wouldn’t dare barge in. SeulMi looks at Kai. “Can you do me a favor?”

“Ne… anything.”

“I want you to go and be with Luna.”

“Wae…waeyo?”

“I’m not going to live long and there is no proof that I’ll survive this. I don’t want you to wait on something that isn’t there.”

“Andwe I won’t do it.”

“That is my dying wish to you. You’ll always be my oppa no matter who you’re with.” Kai chuckles

“No, I won’t do it. That means that I’ve betrayed your trust and SeulKi’s. I won’t do it, even if you died I’ll remain this way.” SeulMi removes her hand from his. She takes off the oxygen mask she was wearing and tries to take out the I.V. in her arm.

“SeulMi!” Kai grabs a hold of her arm, “What are you doing?”

“Ka!” SeulMi pushes Kai away with all her might and takes out the I.V. A little bit of blood came out of her arm, “Ah.” Kai holds SeulMi from the back to prevent her from moving, “Let go of me!” She was out of breath.

“Stop it!” Kai yells at her

“Waeyo! I’m going to die anyways. There is no point of me sitting here. I rather die at home.”

“I’ll do it.” He yells making her stop

“Bwoh?”

“I’ll do it.” His tears came down, “But you must promise me one thing in return.” SeulMi closed her eyes. “You must keep doing treatment until you get better. I want to see you live a long life, even if it isn’t with me.” SeulMi closed her eyes. She knew she had made a big decision that would change her life forever.

She sits down on her bed and Kai puts her mask back on and kisses her forehead before leaving her alone. She let it all out as soon as he left. Her tears fell onto her hospital gown and once again she was alone by herself.

 

Everyone was outside in the public waiting room. Luna was still there waiting for Kai. Kai walks into the room. He saw her sitting farther away from the other. He goes and grabs her arm. She just looks at him.

“Kaja.” Kai pulls her along leaving everyone stunned.

“Oppa, what are you doing?” Kai didn’t answer her. They got into his car and drove off. “What are you doing oppa?”

“Luna.” He turns and smiles at her, “you know I was just kidding right?”

“Bwoh?” she was confused

“I was kidding about the break. I was just testing you. Why did you do and do that to SeulMi?” He acted disappointed.

“So you’re not mad at me?”

“Of course I am mad at you. You just tried to kill my friend.”

“Will it is partially your fault. If you would have told me that you were just lying I wouldn’t have done it.” Luna pouts

“I’m sorry.” He hugs her, “I’m really sorry.”

----

The next few days were miserable for the two. They missed each other. SeulMi would be taken back and forth from chemo to her room and back. She hated it the most because she would see all the couple there together. They help support each other and by her side there was no one.

Kai went to work as usual but he felt empty. Everywhere he went there was SeulMi. He would go on dates with Luna and smile but he never felt anything. He tries to go and visit but he knew if he did Luna would want to come along. She went with him everywhere.

----

SeulMi cries in pain as the doctor pokes her back with a huge syringe to extract her bone marrow. She felt as if someone was stabbing her in the back with a huge knife. She bit onto her lip to keep her from screaming. Two nurses had to hold her down to keep her from moving. That was how it was every week. They would extract her bone marrow for testing and she would go for Chemo every other day.

“SeulMi ssi.” The nurse pushes her in a wheel chair. She was trying to breathe to let the pain disappear, “Did you need anything?”

“Aniyo. You can just push me back to my room.”

The nurse opens the door to her ward and helps her onto the bed.

“You can leave. If I need anything I’ll call.” The nurse bows and leaves. SeulMi looks at the stand next to her and sees a pink envelope. She grabs the envelope and opens it. “I almost forgot.” A smile appears on her face.

----

Kai sat at in his office wondering about SeulMi. It has been almost two weeks since he last spoke to her. He would always go and take a peek at her when she was done with her treatment but she was always asleep. Everyone was also mad at him for going back to Luna. SeulMi had beg Mrs. Song to forgive Luna and not to press any charges against her.

“Kai?” Kai looks at the door

“EunMi.”

“Are you busy?”

“Ani.” EunMi walks in with her 1 ½ month pregnant belly. They both went and sat by the little table, “How have you been?”

“Good.” EunMi smiles, “You’re coming next week right?”

“Where?”

“The wedding!” EunMi smacks his arm

“That right.” Kai laughs, “How could I have forgotten that?”

“SeulMi is coming too.” Kai felt his heart skip a beat. “I know you two haven’t spoken to each other for a while but I was wondering if you can pick her up that day.” Kai looks away

“Umm… well.”

“It okay if you don’t want to, I can ask Suho.”

“Ani.” Kai spoke up, “I’ll pick her up.”

“Gomawo.” EunMi smiles but she notice his faded smile, “JongIn.”

“Hmm?”

“Are you okay?” Of course he wasn’t okay. The girl he loved was in the hospital with no one to comfort her while he was here doing paper to transfer to the Ilsan branch.

“Ne. Waeyo?”

“You seem kind of out of it. You miss her don’t you?”

“I’ll be lying if I said I didn’t.” Kai smirks, “I miss her to the point where living like this is death to me.” He scoffs, “I didn’t even miss SeulKi this much; sure I was depressed and sad but SeulMi…” he looks at EunMi, “I’m going crazy EunMi. I feel like I am being torn apart.”

“It is love Kai.” EunMi smirks, “If you realized it sooner maybe you might have not been feeling like this. Do you ever wonder if she is feeling the same way right now?”

-----

Kris walk into SeulMi’s room with a couple of books and puzzles to keep her busy. He stops at the door quickly before entering.

“SeulMi.” He saw SeulMi bending over the side of her bed, “SeulMi!” he quickly walks over.

“Blarghs.” SeulMi vomit into the trash can before she felt someone patting her back. She felt like she couldn’t breathe and she was exhausted.

“Gwaenchanh-a?” She looks up

“Ne, just feeling nauseous.” SeulMi wiped with a napkin and sat back up in her bed.

“You know they say that eating something sour help nausea.”

“I thought that only worked for pregnant woman.” Kris scratches the back of his head. SeulMi couldn’t help but giggle at him, “What brings you here?”

“Oh.” He grabs the bag of books and puzzles and hands it to her, “Just a little something to keep you company while you’re being treated here.”

“Thanks you.” She looks through the bag

“SeulMi.” She looks at him, “Have they said anything yet?”

“Ani.” She sighs, “I really want to know how I am doing though. It really living like this. Treatment every day, not being able to keep my food down, and being tired.” She shook her head, “It not how I imagined it.”

“How do you feel?”

“Gross.” She chuckles, “How are you?”

“Better than usual. Waeyo?” SeulMi kept staring at him, “Bwoh? Do I have something on my face?”

“Aniyo…But I can tell you’re really happy about something?”

“Jeongmal?” She nods

“Are you talking to somebody?”

“BWOH!” Kris blurt out, “A-a –aniyo.” SeulMi crosses her arm, “Jjinja.” She stuck her hand out, “What?”

“Give me your phone.”

“Waeyo?”

“So I can see who you’ve been talking to.”

“I said no one.”

“Then you wouldn’t be afraid to give me your phone.” Kris looked at her hand and reluctantly gave her his phone. She looks through his messages.

“Daebak.” He looks straight down at his feet, “Over 200 messages to Amber? Amber…” SeulMi thought about it, “Amber from Sujeong?” Kris snatches his phone back.

“Chingu, Chingu.”

“Jeongmal?”

“Jjinja.” He pouts, “What about you?” He tries to switch the subject.

“Bwoh?”

“I know what you guys did might have tricked everyone but I have canine senses. You guys can’t trick me.”

“What are you talking about?” Kris leans in

“You and JongIn.”

“We’re friends.”

“You’re not lying.” Kris looked disappointed.

“Bwoh?”

“Aish…Kai told me that when you lie you usually stutter.” SeulMi just smiles and pinches him, “Ah, what was that for.”

“People can be so naïve sometimes.”

“What?”

“Even my best friend can’t tell when I really lie.”

“B –bwoh?”

“I never stuttered in the first place. The only reason I stutter was because I wanted him to know when I lied. Eventually everyone thought that was the case, so I just got into the habit of doing it.” She smirks, “But I can tell you this…I was the one to let him go. I told him to go to Luna and start with her.”

“How?”

“I threaten him with my life.” She sighs, “I told him that if he didn’t I would refuse treatment and die so that he will no longer see me.”

“SeulMi.”

“I know it was stupid but I rather leave knowing he is with somebody, than waiting on me with empty hope.”

Preview:

“I’m here because I love SeulMi.”

“She told me that love comes and goes and sometimes it was just the wrong one.”

 “Why did you do it?”

“You women are truly evil masterminds.”

“SeulMi, you can’t expect me to sit down and watch you date somebody else. Do you know how much that hurts me?”

 “You used to believe that friendship can turn into love.”

“And you believed that friends will always stay friends.”