Friends...?

Dark Memory

Sitting peacefully outside on my lunch break, I watched as the soft snow covering my feet as I kick them away.

“Hello lovely” a voice behind me said out of nowhere. I jumped in surprise and found Kris standing behind me.

 “Kris?” he smiled and sat beside me. “Nice weather we having” I nodded looking at the ground. “Are you scared of me?” he was concern of the distance I moved slightly away from him as he sat. “Ahh no it’s just that we don’t really know each other so” I stumbled on my words trying to say it nicely. “Well I’m Kris and you’re Lydia. That all we have to know. And now we friends” he said in a deep voice and forced a handshake.

He was now really scary with that demanding voice he had. “I want to ask you something Lydia” I nodded timidly. “What is with your hair?” his long fingers lifted strands of my hair observing the colour. “I have never seen people with two coloured hair”

“Ah well I inherit it from my parents” I said which was my true answer since we share blood now. “Your parents huh. Well it looks really interesting it is not normal for a human” my heart fastened when he said that. He sound like he knew me somehow but his eyes was still looking at my hair. “What are your parents’ name?”

“My father his name is Kim Myungsoo”

“Ah the Kim family I see” he smirked and stood up brushing off the invisible dust. “Is he here?” I shook my head wondering why he was interested. “That’s too bad. Well when you see him. Tell him I said hi. We’re acquaintances” his face brighten a bit and I nodded still looking at him suspiciously. He gave out a chuckle and ruffled my hair. “Nice to meet you dear Lydia” and walked off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again the gallery was packed again but today there seems to be a lot of people not from this town. There were the regulars and folks from nearby towns but today I met another foreign looking man and he looked just as scary as Kris.            

His sharp eyes closely studied the paintings. He was shorter than Kris but he had a mark on his arm which was similar to Kris. “That’s a bounty hunter” Sungjong whispered behind as we sneakily stared at him from the counter “Bounty hunter?” Sungjong nodded and whispered “I heard from others that there’s lots of them in town. They hunt for the unnatural. Like ghosts and stuff. I saw three of them they’re over there” he pointed down the corridors where the three stood talking quietly to each other  “And the tall guy you served yesterday, he was one of them. I heard they are hunting for someone here”

“Then why are they in here then?”  “Maybe they are working undercover who knows?”

I curiously studied his face and thought back to Kris. They had the same tattoo but the ring he wore had a different symbol compared to the others and Kris had a necklace whereas he didn’t.  What are they looking for?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night came and tomorrow was papa’s birthday. So I spent the night preparing his gift and made him a cake.  Papa will return I repeated in my head as I prepared the mansion awaiting for his arrival. But back of my mind I knew he left for good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today’s papa’s birthday and mine but there was still no sight of him. Trying to ease my sadness I decided to stroll to the town. Sungjong was still busy with work so today I guess I’m spending my day alone. Sitting down in the quiet park I watched the snow fall and hear its soft landing on the ground but then I heard a presence. Soft footsteps. Turning to the sound I saw a dark silhouette standing on top of building three blocks down watching me. The figure then quickly ran into the building and exited after running flights down the stairs. Walking towards me waving an arm. Then I saw his hair. Blonde hair.

“Hello dear Lydia”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seating himself beside me he comfortably slumped his body down and blew white fog from his mouth. “How did you see me there?” he questioned. “I just turned and saw you there that’s all” Kris’s brows raised up and a smile played on his lips. Nodding to my reason we both sat in silence.

“Ahh here comes my friends” he pointed out to three figures walking towards them. As they approached him Kris looked at their expressions on their face and the atmosphere turned tensed. “News?”

“No luck” one of the man said. Kris lowered his head in deep thought and looked at me. “Ahh I almost forgot. Dear Lydia these are my friends. Tao, Lay and  Xiumin. Guys this is Lydia” the boys nod their head and gave a welcoming smile. Expect for Tao. His eyes glared at me and I shifted  my vision to Xiumin who was more easier to look at.

 “Is she your friend?” Xiumin asked. Kris nodded and s his arm around my shoulders. “Yes she’s from a friend of mine. Please treat her nice” Kris smiled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess my birthday wasn’t spent alone. Spending the whole day with them as they like to call themselves EXO. Along with Luhan and Chen we passed by. They took me to a café and I gave them a tour around the town. The tense atmosphere was gone and it turns out there were six of them in the group.

Bounty hunters people call them but their personality was opposite of what I expect. Sure they look intimating especially their leader Kris but when they’re together they seemed very easy to approach. Of course there were weird glances from people walking by. I would too do the same when seeing 6 guys walking surrounding a girl not to mention also they are well known hunters in town.

Sungjong soon joined us after his shift was done and together we spent the night talking about life in the small café which was now packed due to EXO taking up the place. Sungjong was nervous around them but he promised to spend the rest of the day with me. After a couple drinks he seemed to relax. A bit too relax I think.

“He’s so stupid. Buying all those pictures and seriously dogs. For heaven’s sake what were you doing? So we had to go with him to make sure he wasn’t buying random stuff” Lay chuckled.

 “So Lydia. Do you have any siblings?” Luhan shyly asked changing the subject when Kris was piercing daggers at Lay.

“No, I don’t I just live with papa” “Speaking of your papa shouldn’t you be home by now since it’s late? We don’t want you to get into trouble” Chen said with a worried tone. “No it’s fine. Papa is not going to be home. He went on a business trip” and the others nod.

 “What does your father work as?” Tao spoke for the first time. “Um actually I don’t know really” “What’s his name? I’m sure we can find out since we have lots of connections” Tao displayed a confident smile. “Kim Myungsoo” Tao face darkened but his smile was still there. “I see” and the others look at Tao and Kris who were exchanging looks at each other. The others fell silent and looked back at me. “Um well Lydia how about we call it a night” Luhan stood up and gently escorted me out with the others trailing behind. Somehow the mood change except for Sungjong who was lagging behind, shouting random words out with Chen and Lay dragging his body.

Does papa know these people? Are they looking for him? Was he hunted? Questions were flooding into my mind. Who are EXO really and who are they hunting for?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home at last and I remembered the cake I made. Pulling it out carefully I headed to papa’s room. The room was cold, dark and as expected empty. When I was a child I would usually cry when papa left for work but I guess I used to it now. Placing his gifts and a letter on his bed. I lighted the candle lighting the room a bit and placed it on his study desk. Singing the birthday tune quietly. Then blew the candles out. Darkness quickly consumed the room.

“Happy Birthday dear Lydia”

_____________________________________________________________________