Christmas meet

Dark Memory

Day: Freezing but warm

Date: 20th December

We went Christmas shopping together!! Preparing for Christmas, my birthday and papa’s birthday. We went to the bakery and bought some delicious food. The women smiled sweetly as she handed over the food.

“Thank you” she chirped and in a distance I heard a young child crying. The women turned and saw her husband cradling the crying child to her. “Oh, hush dear” the women soothed her child. “He’s so beautiful” I complemented the child and the women returned another smile. “He got the charms from his father” the women smiled and received a peck on her lips from her husband earning a slight blush from her. The scene in front of me was beautiful and heart warming. The child in his mother’s protective arms and the father’s arms wrapped around the mother and child.

The women realised me staring at them and softly chuckled. “Are you not married yet?” she asked. I shook my head and she looked surprised. “Oh my, but you looked so beautiful and not married yet? Why I remember we are the same age. You would always visit here to see my father when I was a child and today, not married yet?” I shook my head again. “Love is something I find rare these days but I’m still looking for the prefect one” I smiled and Papa uncomfortably shifted behind me.

The women turned her gaze to papa. Papa was dressed in black and wore a hood over face covering his face only revealing the tip of his nose with both of his hands rested upon his cane. Papa wanted to hide his face so that no one would be suspicious of his youthful face. He visited this town too often so he had to hide his face to show he was aging. “Aww  papa doesn’t want to let go of his daughter?”

Papa let out a chuckle. “Rephrase that, daughter doesn’t want to let go of her papa” laughter filled the room and papa winced when I nudged him hard on his hip.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Be back in 30 minutes” Papa said as he dashed away from me. We decided to buy each other gifts secretly, so we split up. I quickly walked to the gallery searching for a picture papa might want to hang in his plain room.

“Excuse me sir?” I gently tapped one of the staff. “Ah yes how can I help you madam?” he cheerfully chirped placing a big smile on his face. “Um I’m looking for a picture for my papa and I was wondering if you could help me?”

“It would be my pleasure. Now tell me what kind of picture would you like?”

Well Papa liked travelling and since he was cooped up in that house maybe nice scenery might be nice. “Papa like travelling”

“Hmm..ah yes well come this way please” the man swiftly bowed and guided me. “How about this picture? This is one of my favourites”

“What is it?” I tilted my head. The man grinned widely “This is a cherry blossom festival. Celebrated during the spring season in Japan. As you see the pink petals floating in the night sky it is absolutely beautiful to watch. In Japan the flowers blossom at different times it is absolutely stunning. And also in this picture….” I looked at the painting and was stunned by the details of the people in the picture. They wore different clothing than mine and the food some were holding was in interesting shapes.  It looked so real.

 “I’ll take it!” I shouted. The man was startled at my sudden outburst but still kept his smile plastered. He nodded his head and led me to the waiting room while he prepared the painting. I feel so excited all of a sudden. Papa is so going to like this present!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man walked out with a huge box and the payment went smoothly. “Thank you for buying it!” the man bowed and I took the box. It was huge and my little arms couldn’t hold it properly. “Um…would like some assistance?” the man kindly offered. “Uh..um yes please” I shyly replied and he carried it and followed me to the meeting place where Papa was supposed to be. Surprisingly there was 20 minutes to spare and the man was still holding the box standing and waiting. “You can put it down now thank you very much” I bowed to him.

He placed the box down and puffed his cheek blowing his hair that was covering his eyes. “So are you waiting for a carriage?” “No I’m waiting for Papa but I’m kind of early. 20 minutes he will come”

“Oh okay” the man said and stood there resting his hands on his hip. “You can go back if you want to” I mumbled and he shook his head. “I ain’t leave a lady alone on these streets. Something bad might happen to you. It is my pleasure to stay. Also I have a break for 40 mins so it’s fine” he kindly replied back. The atmosphere was really awkward so I decided we should go to a café nearby while waiting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So what is your name madam?” the man said as he sipped his coffee. “I’m Pup” I replied and the man looked at me weirdly and chuckled. “I’m meant your real name. But pup seems to fit you well” he smiled. I never had a name beside Pup but pup wasn’t even a name. So I had to make one up. “Lydia” I thought to myself from one of my favourite characters from a book.

“Lydia. Well that’s a lovely name. I’m Lee Sungjong” the man said and I took my hand out to shake. “Pleasure of meeting you Mr. Sungjong. So, do you have a fond a travelling” Sungjong grinned and started to babble on about his travels. Our conversation led from travels, to how boring life was then he suddenly asked something which took me by surprise. “So are you married Ms Lydia?” my face blushed slightly in embarrassment.

I shook my head “Sadly not yet” Sungjong grabbed my hand ad squeezed it gently. His eyes strangely looked brighter. “Omo, me too! And I thought I was the only one here at this age. It’s rare to meet a fair lady who’s not married here. I’m glad we have something in common Miss Lydia” I nodded smiling in reply. “Please call me Lydia. I find it quite weird to be called that” “Yes of course Ly---dia” Sungjong sung out with his soft, high voice. I chuckled at his cuteness as he puffed his cheeks as he started to stretch. “What so funny?” Sungjong tilted his head. Which made me grinned widely.

“Ah it’s just that you looked really…cute” Sungjong pouted and looked away. “People always say that” he mumbled childishly. “I’m sorry Sungjong” I said teasingly believing his wasn’t serious. I sat beside him and persisted to turn him towards me. I gently pulled his arm but he refuse to look then I copied him and pouted and look away. “Fine” I stomped and lowered my head. Then I felt warm hands pulling my cheek. “Look who’s the cute one here!” he chuckled and I started to poke him. Customers were staring but we didn’t care. It has been quite a long time since I have been like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time flew so quick that 20 minutes turned into 40 minutes. 20 minutes late papa was going to be angry for sure. Quickly I ran towards the meeting place with Sungjong behind me carrying the box. “Wait Lydia!” Sungjong huffed and he struggled to carry it. I stopped and dashed to his side and assisted him carrying it. Walking slower this time. “Thanks for helping. I’m sorry Lydia. I’m not really the strong type” “That’s okay. Plus that’s what friends are for” I replied and Sungjong smiled more. “So we’re friends?” and I nodded and Sungjong’s hummed happily to himself. And this is how I found my first friend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once we arrived I saw a black figure leaning against a wall on the other side of the road. His face was shadowed by his hat but I know under that hat his face was fuming. I directed Sungjong behind the statue“I can take it from here” I whispered and Sungjong placed the box down.

 Shaking our hands together we bid farewell. “If you want to meet again. Just visit the gallery. I’ll be there everyday and we could go out shopping sometime and maybe visit my house. I got lots of pictures to show” he smiled. “I would love to” my eyes peeking behind me.

“Well goodbye!” Sungjong abruptly hugged me and I shuffled back in surprise. “I’m sorry” he bowed as he noticed my shock. “No it’s fine. I mean that what friends do right?” Sungjong nodded and I hugged him back. “Nice meeting you!” Sungjong waved and ran back to his work. I waved back until he wasn’t in sight. Then carried the box towards the empty spot where Papa was standing before when I arrived I heard little shuffles and Papa’s cold hands wrapped themselves around the box and carried it away from my arms.

“Where were you?” Papa whispered coldly. “It took me a while to get the present here” I made an excuse and played with my fingers. Papa placed the box down and bent his knees down looking at me. “Next time. Please be on time” he said softly. His face softened and I nodded. “Good” he mumbled and hugged me. “I was worried. Do you know that?” I nodded. “Okay let’s go home” Papa carried the box in one hand and held my hand with the other. And we silently crept into the forest holding hands like what fathers and daughters do. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note

Yay Sungjong finally another Infinite member appeared. More to come soon ;)

Thanks for reading

-Saranghae (=^x^=)