2

The Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks later.

 

As I finished up packing up my suitcases, Katy was drilling me with difficult Korean vocabulary. I already knew all the basics and would be considered relatively advanced in Korean for not being taught professionally. I guess it was a bit easier for me to pick up another language since I was already bilingual. Being the first generation Thai-American in my family, I was taught how to speak Thai fluently since I was born. Plus, through out the four years in college, I helped Katy study Korean for her major which in turn helped me learn as well. Since we both had gotten interested in K-Pop, it only further ignited our motivation to learn the language. Granted, I'm not fluent like Katy, but I could hold a conversation with out much difficulty. We have already incorporated some Korean phrases even when we speak English. 

"YA! Are you paying attention?" 

"Nope. I was just making sure I have everything since we leave tomorrow morning" I replied nonchalantly.

"If you don't, you can always just buy it when we get there."

"Yeah, true but the clothes size might run a lot smaller than they do here."

"Girl, you are little. You'll be fine."

"I'm not little, I'm just vertically challenged. Thank you very much." 

"Whatever you say, little one." Katy said as she patted my head and walked out of the room. 

I'm not little. I mean, I'm pretty short. I barely hit 5 feet. And compared to Asian standards, I'm not stick skinny. I have meat on my bones as I like to put it. Weighing in at 125 lbs, my Mom always tells me to lose weight since I'm so short. But losing weight means no alcohol and no junk food. Aka a no go. I enjoy alcohol particularly beer especially with meat. I love meat. Ugh, just thinking about it now is making me crave some kalbi.  

"Ya Katy! I know what to eat for our first meal in Korea!" 

"I want kalbi and soju!" Katy replied while walking back into the room and plopped on my bed.

"You read my mind. So it's settled. Tomorrow we'll explore and find a kalbi place near our new apartment"

"Perfect."

 

The next day.

 

I said goodbye to my parents and told them I would call when I got there. I assured them the graduation money I received from them and the other relatives was enough to last me the next three months. My family isn't crazy rich but we do live comfortably and would be considered upper middle class.

Muller drove Katy and I to the airport and told Katy to make sure I don't hook up with any ugly guys.

"Muller, it's me you're talking to. My namja standards are higher than hers." 

"You guys know I'm in the car too right?" I interjected. 

"Yeah but we don't care" they both said at the same time and continued to talk. 

"I'm glad I have such loving people in my life." I muttered sarcastically. 

After Muller made sure we got to the right gate, we bid goodbye. Katy went into the gate so we could have some alone time. He told me to not worry and to have fun. That this would be a great adventure for me and that he will be waiting right here when I got back. I told him if this exception ever made him feel uncomfortable to let me know immediately. This would be the longest time we'd be apart from one another but after 6 years together, we knew we would be fine. We quickly kissed good bye and he ushered me into the gate. 

 

 

Katy and I stepped out of the airport and the warm late August breeze hit our face. 

"Dude, we're finally here. The land of the namjas." Katy said. Although her thick dark brown shoulder length hair was covering her face due to the wind, I knew she was smiling. 

"The next three months are going to be epic. Let's take a picture to commemorate." I took out my white galaxy note 3 and snapped our picture. 

"Your hair looks sooo red in the sunlight. I like it though. I'm glad you dyed it." Katy said.

As I examined the picture we just took, I realized Katy was right. My long wavy hair was normally a brownish red in normal light but in the natural sunlight, it was had a more red tint than I expected. 

We got to our new apartment with ease. We were on the 16th floor in room number 1603. There was only two other doors on our floor. Directly acrossed from ours was room number 1602 and to the left of us was 1601. We unlocked our door and our jaw fell to the floor.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter