Chapter TWENTY

소리 발전 Solibaljeon {Hallyu Sound Evolution} | SM Entertainment's New Girlgroup

A few months passed after the announcement of Solibaljeon's debut and comeback as sub-units. Those days were filled with preparing for their mini albums, to learn dances, to practice their language skills. Those were the few days where they could say their goodbyes to their friends and their families for the next few months.

 

Regardless of their workload, each girl had individual schedules as well as prepare for their comeback. Seulyong had offers to film in a few music videos as well as a feature in a track. Sori had participated in a rap show, 'Unpretty Rap Star' which had female rappers go against each other. Sumin was a regular cast member of 'Immortal Songs 2' and often performed every other week. Hyehyun became one of the MCs for 'SBS The Show'. Yuntue collaborated on a hip-hop RnB track titled 'Sick' with Block B's Zico for Mask OST. Bara and Tiao Ning both had offers for photo shoots, Hotaru had finished wrapping up filming, and Aimee was offered to collaborate on a track called 'Ma Boy3'.

 

The girls even got two new managers for these promotions. It wasn't necessarily brand new managers but rather assistant managers to help.

 

A day before the Chinese and Japanese units were to leave for their flights, the girls all gathered in the living room lounging around in their casual clothes. Aimee sighed, the action didn't go unnoticed by Bara.

 

"What's wrong Aimee?" Bara asked her. Aimee only sighed in response.

 

"Is this about us traveling?" Bara concerningly asked her. She placed a hand on the Maknae's shoulder and peered at her. "We'll be back before you know it."

 

"It's not that unnie." Aimee frowned. "I wanted to be able to travel. It's no fair."

 

Hotaru patted her on the shoulder. "There are other times you know. Maybe we'll promote in China or Japan as nine members instead of subunits."

 

"There's a chance we'll promote overseas with everyone. Maybe the company will start a Soli-E unit. You know, for the English speakers." Yuntue suggested to the maknae.

 

"Your Mandarin is just very basic, Aimee-ya." Seulyong stated as she gave the maknae a small hug. "But you heard the rep. He wants members with an intermediary knowledge of the language."

 

"I know unnie." Aimee sighed once more, her shoulders deflated. "I'm giving my best though. Even if I can't travel with everyone, Soli-K will knock everyone off their socks!"

 

Hyehyun laughed and ruffled the maknae's hair. "That's our girl. Show everyone Soli-K's charms while we're gone."

 

"Just don't wreck the place." Sori nodded from her seat.

 

"That's more like you Sori." Seulyong jabbed at the rapper and everyone chuckled. "Don't start any fights with anyone."

 

Sumin looked at the friendly encounter and wondered how they could just joke around at a crucial time like this. She didn't particularly feel like promoting in China despite her knowing Mandarin at a conversational level. "What if Aimee-ya and I were to switch spots? Can we do that?"

 

"What brought this on?" Yuntue wondered.

 

"Well... I really don't want to leave Seoul." Sumin muttered.

 

"Having cold feet? Sumin-ya, we already recorded and everything." Seulyong stated as she gave the main vocalist a concerned look.

 

Tiao Ning frowned. "Yeah, unnie! We worked hard with the song. And you helped me so much with my singing. You can't just bail on us."

 

"I know. I know." Sumin slowly smiled. "But I'm feeling a bit nervous. I don't know how the Chinese Industry will take us. I mean they have other amazing artists out there. What if we just slowly die out in the sea of Chinese idols?"

 

"It's just a Chinese debut as three. If it's a flop, then we can do it again and again until we get it right." Seulyong comforted her.

 

"Yeah! It's just like with our debut song." Hotaru spoke up. "It was pretty much a flop but with 'Luv', we got more recognition and a solid fanbase."

 

"You'll do fine, unnie." Bara smiled.

 

"I know it's going to be hard with everyone being separate. The stage will feel empty without all nine of us dancing around and shooting random hearts at the camera." Hyehyun stated as she gave her fellow main vocalist a smile. "But its only for a few months. Before you know it, we'll be reunited with everyone."

 

"Besides, you guys get Seul-Leader." Sori pouted, the others laughing. Seulyong was one of Sori's closest friends in the group since the moment they were placed in the group. So to have her gone for a few months, despite Sori annoying everyone, made her a bit sad.

 

"Speaking of leaving tomorrow," Seulyong started, as she looked up from her phone. "I won't be leaving until the next day. I have a schedule to finish."

 

"She's probably going to say goodbye to Doojoon-sunbae as well." Aimee teasingly muttered, Hotaru softly hitting her leg to shut her up.

 

Seulyong gave a smile and dreamingly sighed. "Of course I have to say goodbye to him. And remind him to work hard on Beast's comeback."

 

"Why Beast-oppas insist on having a comeback the same time as Infinite and Suju-sunbaes is a mystery..." Yuntue muttered.

 

When the news of Super Junior's comeback was announced, ELFs went ballistic. Then when Inspirits heard that Infinite were to have a comeback as well, fans eventually went crazy. And now add Beast having a summer comeback, B2uties were also contributing to the busy world of K-pop.

 

Of course Solibaljeon were fans of the groups and were looking forward to their performances, despite six of them were leaving for Japan and China. Super Junior always had good vibes for their performances and Solibaljeon admired them for their charisma and their ability to draw in the crowd. Aimee would be rooting for Infinite, despite her fellow labelmates promoting (she has no ill-will towards them), she was rather good friends with Infinite's L and their comeback has been promising. Beast's comeback was a mystery since they have yet to start promotions but Seulyong, as well as Hotaru, hinted that it was going to be a quite epic and relatable.

 

The girls noticed that Seulyong was rather biased towards her boyfriend's group and it was kind of cute to see Solibaljeon's leader acting like a typical fangirl and supportive girlfriend.

 

"So you're not going to see us off tomorrow at the airport?" Bara asked the older girl, who was most likely texting Doojoon.

 

Seulyong shook her head. "Nope. I'm going to be filming in the morning and then I have to head to Cube's HQ to record my lines for a song called 'You're My Angel' with BTOB's Peniel, Minhyuk, and Ilhoon. I'll probably head to Doojoon's place afterwards."

 

"Don't do anything freaky now." Sori pestered, Seulyong giving her a look. "We don't want erted demon children running around."

 

"I hope little Doojoons and Seulyongs comes running around in your dreams." Seulyong cackled as she lifted her phone to her ear. "Ah, Doojoon-oppa! Yeah I'll be over at the studio in a bit after I get snacks for everyone..."

 

Watching as their leader disappeared out the door, Hyehyun blinked. "She's not gonna come home pregnant is she?"

 

"I HOPE NOT!


 

"I wish unnie came on the flight with us." Tiao Ning frowned as she sulked in her seat beside Sumin. She wanted them all to arrive in China together and reach their hotel together and eat dinner together. What if Seulyong gets lost in China? Their leader was prone to getting lost. Turning to their manager, Tiao Ning asked, "What time will unnie land tomorrow, oppa?"

 

Their manager Kyungtae, looked at his schedule and muttered, "Sometime around 1pm. She'll probably be tired with Junyoung pestering her."

 

With addition to having managers Kyungtae and Jongbae, the girls had assistant managers Junyoung and Minjae accompany them for their promotions. Junyoung and Minjae were valuable assets to the group and quite a stress reliever for both the other two managers, but compared to the gentle Minjae, Junyoung was quite harsh towards certain members of the group.

 

"Poor unnie. Junyoung-oppa is not gonna leave her alone." Sumin frowned next to Tiao Ning. "Is Junyoung-oppa staying in China with us?"

 

"No, he'll be back home helping Minjae manage the Korean unit. Minjae is capable but sometimes she's a pushover when it comes to Aimee."

 

"She has that effect on everyone," Sumin chuckled, knowing she was right. Aimee definitely got things her way being the maknae and all. "Well I hope we reach China soon. I'm famished!"

 

A few hours later, Sumin and Tiao Ning, along with their manager made their way to the place they were intended to stay in China. It was a nice two story condo with the bedrooms and a bathroom on the top floor, and a nicely decorated living room and spacious kitchen downstairs. Their manager had his own accommodations elsewhere and left Sumin and Tiao Ning to explore their temporary home.

 

"It's nice." Tiao Ning said in awe as she looked around. Going upstairs, she shouted, "There's three rooms upstairs!"

 

"Cool. Means we each get a room." Sumin nodded. He phone had vibrated and she opened it to see a text from Seulyong on the group's text chat. Clinking on the link, she was redirected to watch a music video. "Tiao! Unnie sent us a video to check out. I think it's the one she filmed a week ago."

 

"One of the music videos she was in?" Tiao Ning asked as she bounded down the stairs. Settling on the couch, she looked over Sumin's shoulder.

 

Beast's Music Video for their pre-release track 'Gotta Go to Work' started with their leader and Doojoon sitting side by side on a loveseat with a lovable track playing.

 

Tiao coughed into her fist and took out her phone and muttered to Sumin. "Doojoon-oppa is playing the lead man? And unnie is his woman? I find this all very coincidental."

 

Tiao Baby added Park Leader, Mok-Sori, Su_Minnie, Wish-ing, Song Yun, Bara Omma, Hotaru Taro, and Aimee-ya to the group chat.

 

Tiao Baby, 18:31: Did everyone watch the MV unnie sent us?

 

The replies came immediately.

 

Song Yun, 18:32: Checking it out now!

 

Aimee-ya, 18:38: This is all cute and all...

 

Bara-Omma,18:40: But very weird huh? But the sunbaes look very good here.

 

Wish-ing, 18:43: Did they film this before Doojoon-sunbae spilled the beans?

 

Su_Minnie, 18:45: Who knows. But look at those smiles they keep giving each other.

 

Hotaru Taro, 18:47: The music video is cute. Junhyung-oppa looks very cool.

 

Mok-Sori, 18:48: ...no comment.

 

Park Leader, 18:50: I look pretty huh?

 

Song Yun, 18:51: .....

 

Mok-Sori, 18:53: Uh...

 

Park Leader,18:55: What?! I don't? You all stared at the Beast-oppas huh? Did Dongwoon capture your hearts? Kekeke

 

Aimee-ya, 18:57: Nope but Doojoon-oppa looks very handsome :D

 

Park Leader, 19:00: Stay away from Doobong >:( HE'S ALL MINE.

 

Song Yun, 19:01: Doojoon-oppa isn't my type anyway. I don't know 'bout everyone else.

 

Mok-Sori, 19:02: NO ONE WANTS HIM ANYWAYYYYYYYYY. Boooooooooo

 

Park Leader, 19:03: Good! More lovin' from Yoon Leader

 

Song Yun, 19:04: Stop being so loud Sori. Geez my ears hurt from you yelling.

 

Aimee-ya, 19:05: Ewww... Leader-unnie is gonna make me barf by saying that.

 

Wish-ing, 19:07: Did you guys filmed this before Doojoon-sunbae revealed your relationship?

 

Park Leader, 19:09: Nope. Relationship still not public though~~ :)

 

Bara-omma, 19:10: When did you guys film?

 

Park Leader, 19:11: 2 weeks ago.

 

Hotaru Taro, 19:12: The other oppas look unfazed. They look like they're more into the song. But good job unnie.

 

Wish-ing, 19:14: Taro, stop staring at Junhyung-sunbae so much. It's weird.

 

Hotaru Taro, 19:16: I can't help it. Oppa looks very cool.

 

Bara-omma, 19:17: And the birth of a new B2uty is born! Dah dah dah!

 

Tiao Baby, 19:19: I think unnie and sunbae look very good together. And lucky her! She gets three kisses from the nation's boyfriend!!!! <3

 

Park Leader, 19:20: Stahp ehtttt. >///<

 

Su_Minnie, 19:22: No need to be embarrassed. It was cute.

 

Park Leader, 19:23: >///<

 

Park Leader, 19:25: Need to go. I just got to Doojoon's place. See the M-members later!

 

After Seulyong had left the group chat, the other members had a nice chat about the trip to Japan and China. The K-members kept everyone up to date with the comebacks and Yuntue also revealed that she was working on a comeback song for Solibaljeon when they had a comeback as nine. Although they were miles apart, it was nice for them to communicate. As much as Tiao Ning missed China and her home, she really wanted promotions to end so they all can go back home to Seoul and be reunited with eight other girls she called her sisters.