[ Exclusive ] Interview with Solibaljeon

소리 발전 Solibaljeon {Hallyu Sound Evolution} | SM Entertainment's New Girlgroup

HOME     NEWS     GALLERY     EXCLUSIVES     FORUM     SHOP

 

Solibaljeon Interview: About LUV, Role Models and Aspirations for the Future

Chakarue | April 3rd, 2015

 

Recently our Reporters of 10Ten magazine sat down for an interview with Solibaljeon, SM Entertainment's nine-member girl group that debuted in February 2014 with their funky 'Sounds of Evolution' mini album. With their recent comeback 'LUV', composed by Beast's Main Rapper Yong Junhyung, these girls opted for a slightly more feminine image and captured the hearts of Kpop fans all over South Korea.

Despite the melancholy prevailing in their single, all of the Solibaljeon members appeared to be cheerful and in good spirits for the interview. They greeted the staff respectfully as soon as they came into the room and lightened up the atmosphere with their amusing jokes. 10Ten asked them a few questions on their single and their experiences as idols.

LUV seems very different from you debut title track 'What should I do'. Why did you decide for such an image change after just one cycle of promotions?

Seul: A lot of people are asking us this question, but I personally don't see a huge difference. Our debut concept was chic and classy, and so is LUV. Granted, the songs sounded different but that's mainly because Yuntue-ya and Junhyung oppa have different kind of composing styles.

Bara: I do believe that these songs were a bit different, but that's the reason our name is 'Sound Evolution' after all. It would be nice if our group could evolve with every new concept and try out many different styles and adapt to different kind of concepts.

LUV is doing slightly better than What Should do on the charts. Why do you think is this happening?

Hyemin: /laughs/ Maybe because we established a fan base? Since we are from SM Entertainment our debut garnered a lot of attention but we didn't immediately gained a huge following. But our popularity just built up steadily during the past year so now we do a little better on the charts, even though we can't compare to other famous sunbaenims from SM Entertainment yet.

In the LUV teasers you are posing with the Beast members. Does anybody of you have a member of the group you particularly like?

Hyoyoung: I think all of us are very thankful to Junhyung sunbaenim, who composed the single for us.

Sori: I believe our leader particularly likes Doojoon /cackles and gives Seul a pointed look/

Seul: /kicks Sori's shin with her foot/ I don't know what she's talking about, please ignore her.

LUV is about a break-up in which the girl still likes the guy. Have any of you experienced a similar situation before?

Minnie: I once went through a unrequited love before, I knew that person I liked wasn't liking me back and so I was very heartbroken. Singing and performing helps me to express myself so I put all of my feelings towards my crush into the song. I'm that kind of person who often keeps negative emotions to herself and I don't like burdening others with my problems so music helps me to overcome stress and pain. Whenever I sung my parts with the person I had a crush on in mind I felt relieved and happier after every performance and I gradually overcame the sadness. I think the lyrics about being heartbroken really striked a chord with me.

This is very sad, I hope you will be able to find someone else who can love you back soon. I have read a lot of comments that praised you and Wish, both Main Vocalists, for the emotions you both were delivering, especially since it isn't very easy to show much of them in pop songs. Wish-ah, do you also have a person you think about while singing LUV?

Wish: Uhm, I actually don't sing with unhappy emotions, despite the sad lyrics I feel like the melody is rather cheerful. Right now, after hearing what Sumin just said I'm kind of concerned whether I sing this song in a too cheerful way /laughs and covers her laugh with one of her hands/

Bara: While I do believe that you sound to happy for the heartbroken theme, I actually find the contrast between your and Sumin's interpretation rather interesting. I don't hear it in the recorded version but it's apparent on live performances and I think it adds to the song's charm.

That's very interesting! For your future, what kind of plans do you have? Is there anything you really want to try out individually?

Yun: I'm a huge fan of Running Man. Truthfully speaking, I'm not that funny but I would really like to have the opportunity to get on that show. I've been a fan for years and I watch every episode, so guesting would mean a lot to me.

Hyoyoung: As for me, I want to continue acting. I like promoting with Solibaljeon but I feel like I'm not an important addition music-wise and while I love performing, acting is my actual passion. My singing received mixed responses but my acting is better and I feel like this way I can prove my worth as a group member of Solibaljeon.

Hyemin: But you are actually one of the most popular members, you shouldn't worry about being a dead-weight! Me on the other hand... Well, I'm sure I'll get more opportunities to showcase my talents in the future. I personally would love to break into the Chinese market, since, well, it's my home country after all. Though I actually prefer Korean food to Chinese cuisine...

Well, I hope you all are able to achieve your dreams soon. Thank you for taking your time to do this interview with us and good luck for the future. Any last words to your fans?

Aimee: Hello Solibaljeon fans, don't worry, we are trying really hard to persuade SM Entertainment to finally give you an official fandom name. I'm sure they give in soon, so we can address you properly instead of only calling you our fans.

Hyemin: Thanks for supporting us! We love you /throws hearts/

 

 

TAGS

Solibaljeon
Interview
LUV
Comeback
Exclusive
SM Entertainment

PREVIOUS STORY

Taeyang accidentally reveals his real height on Radio Star

NEXT STORY

Sistar's Soyu explains her dating rumors with Infinite's Hoya

Sign in                                                                               11 people listening
Newest | Oldest | Top Comments

baranumberonefan                                                

Solibaljeon <3 Unnies you are so pretty & I will always support U forever I listen to ur voics every day and especially bara unnie so cute and talented best girl group 4ever, always as nine way prettier and no plastic like SNSD. Unnies fighting!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3 bara fighting luv u <3<3<3

Like    Reply

chogodess                                          

Oh please, what fandom are they talking about? Even rainbow has more stans then them, nobody of my friends even know that they exist even though they are from SM. And what is with all these half-Japanese members, if I want to support Japanese groups, I'd listen to Jpop. They all look ugly anyway, I still don't know how Yun and Sori made it into SM with their faces.

Like    Reply

Yunhyemee                                                            

Haha, they are really cute <3 And have you noticed the way Wish was evading one of the questions? I think she's dating someone~

Like    Reply

umgjodgfd                                                           

Am I the only one who thinks that they are attention seekers? Look at Sumin and Hyehyun's answers, they really try to be all mysterious and like someone actually cares about their answers lmao. I think the poison incident was staged as well, don't tell me SM has so little security. I used to like them but their antics are so annoying

Like    Reply