CHAPTER EIGHT

소리 발전 Solibaljeon {Hallyu Sound Evolution} | SM Entertainment's New Girlgroup

 

Chapter Eight

Nine Girls on their Way to Hallyu Stardom

“I wonder who Unnie was talking about," Tiao Ning said to herself after she got the text message that the leader was still visiting Gina. Since Seulyong's revelation on Shimshimtapa, she was really curious about the secret boyfriend. Tiao Ning always thought that she was the only one who was secretly dating another idol and so she was excited when her leader announced that she was also seeing someone.

When the show ended Tiao Ning immediately started to squeeze more information out of her but unfortunately Seulyong kept quiet. She had just too many friends and she had no clue which one of them could be the mysterious guy. The way Seulyong described him was really nice and who knows, if Seulyong would tell her about the boyfriend, Tiao Ning might even consider telling her about her relationship with Mir. Maybe they could even go on double dates, that would be nice and convenient since no one could accuse her for dating or 'stealing oppas' if they said that they were only a group of friends.

But for now the leader was too stubborn and left her in the dark and so Tiao Ning decided to stay quiet. She was careful and made sure not to be seen with Mir, so why should she tell anyone about her relationship?

 


“Yunnie! Who are you writing with? Is it the person I think it is?”

Yuntue felt how the mattress of her bed was sinking in next to her and a bony elbow was piercing into her side as Sori crashed onto her bed.

“Go away”, she said, kicking the Lead Rapper in a futile attempt to get her off. She liked her bed tidy and was pretty OCD about that. It was bad enough that she had to live in a room with Bara and Sori. She didn't mind Bara because the Main Rapper was friendly and took care of her things but Sori's part of the room was a mess and despite living together for only a few weeks she was already annoyed with the room division.

“Zico wants to get your number, just so you know. I think he really likes you.”

“I don't care”, she answered, typing a text message for Joohyun. Even though Mr Mr promotions ended, SNSD was still as busy as ever with their schedules and so the two friends had barely time to see each other.

C'mon, you should give him a chance”, pleaded Sori, a pout on her face.

“There are several different reasons I don't want to date him – I'm an idol with barely any free time, I don't even want a relationship at the moment and I don't think he's attractive. I told you that my ideal type is intelligent, it should be someone like Kyuhyun or that RapMonster guy, Zico seemed quite dense”, she explained while tapping on 'send'. She showed him that she clearly hadn't any interest and she didn't want to give him hope only to crush it right afterwards. Zico wasn't anything she looked for and she started to get bothered by him.

Putting the mobile on her small drawer next to the bed, she walked into the small living room, leaving Sori alone on her bed.

“You know, I've read it's scientifically proven that guys are usually attracted to girls that smile often so why don't you show a happier expression”, said Bara right when Yuntue entered. Hotaru was playing some app on her phone and didn't even look up and Tiao Ning was taking selcas on the windowsill, her face into a pout while she tried to open her eyes as wide as she could.

The Lead Vocal only scoffed annoyed and dropped onto the couch. She took the remote control and flipped through the channels, hoping for something worthwhile to watch.

“Oh look, it's 'Dating Agency Cyrano'”, said Bara interested when Hotaru's face flashed on the screen, “I've only seen the two first episodes yet but Hotaru played Sekyung really well.”

Yuntue changed the channel again and nobody bothered to answer her.

Bara let out a sigh. Whatever she tried to do, her group mates often seemed to prefer staying alone by themselves instead of trying to befriend and working on their group dynamics and this started to unnerve her, too. They didn't need befriend to be in the same girl group but Bara thought that it would be really nice if they could get along. But fine, if her band mates preferred to be loners and ignore each other she wouldn't try to change their minds. It was their problem.

Breathing out, Bara told herself to calm down again. She wasn't blunt enough to ask why everyone was being so quiet and she knew that she would probably dislike the answer anyway. Seeing that Hotaru and Tiao Ning were also on their mobiles she took out her own and typed 'Pann' into the search bar of her internet browser.

Yuntue contemplated for a while if she should apologize for her behaviour before deciding against it.

It wasn't a big deal, anyway. She was annoyed at Sori and she honestly saw no reason for switching channels when there aired a drama with an title as cringeworthy as 'Dating Agency', which already sounded like a cliché romantic-comedy that would last for a couple of dozen episodes until the female protagonist would finally get together with the male protagonist, an happy ending that was forseeable since the first episode. Yuntue was happy that Hotaru got a supporting role but not even her band mate could make her watch such a mushy drama. She finally set for a cooking show where Miss A's Fei was competing against a few others for the title as 'Best Cook of Korea'.

Still, Yuntue thought, she may have appeared rude towards Bara.

Yuntue knew that Bara tried to be nice and get everyone to open up but in Yuntue's opinion she was sometimes too motherly and annoying. She gave lots of advises and tried to involve everyone in a conversation so that no one was feeling left out but sometimes Yuntue didn't want to talk and wished to be left alone after being surrounded 24/7 by eight other girls on small space. And if she was already upset she didn't need another comment about smiling not enough – especially since she already had another problem with a certain guy.

 


“Sumin, why are you so nervous? Relax, the sunbaes are all nice," Hyehyun said, reassuring the other Main Vocal that was sitting totally straight in her seat and fiddled with her sleeves for the last five minutes.

“And dumb. They might look intimnidating because of their success and fame but once you spend some time with them you'll realize that all of them are awkward idiots," Aimee chirped and sipped a bit of orange juice from her drinking straw.

The three of them were seated in a cafe called 'Wunderland', with their favorite beverages and a pie of cake or in Aimees case, a huge ton of lemon ice in front of them. Hyehyun and Aimee wanted to meet their best friends and after Sumin spilled that she knew someone of the same group from high school they mercilessly dragged her along.

Hyehyun decided the place they were meeting at - Wunderland - was her favorite cafe for obvious reason. The cafe was decorated beautifully, everything was kept in baby blue and pastel colors and there were lots of pictures on the walls and everywhere were cute ribbons and porcelain figures, it was like a Dream Come True for Hyehyun, who loved anything cute in general. The waiters wore midnight blue suits and the waitresses pretty dresses with tulle fabric and in the background there was the faint sound of the classical piece 'The Nutcracker'.

After Aimee's words Sumin immediately bit her lip, scolding herself for being so obvious. Where was her usual y facade?

She leaned back and put on a bored expression, looking at her perfectly manicured nails. It was a difference whether you were shy and antisocial or stuck up and too good for the others. Sumin actually belonged into the first category but since she didn't want to look pitiful and frightened she started to build walls around her, preventing to show her true self conscious self to others. However, since their debut it was getting harder and harder to keep that attitude, before performances and whenever she got nervous she felt like a deer in front of headlights.

“Except Suho – he's more the quiet type and struggles to keep everyone in check, being the leader of six of these derps.”

“How dare you talk about your sunbae-nims like that!?," someone exclaimed behind them and they immediately turned their heads to greet the newcomers. Despite Jongdae's offended voice there was actually a small smile on his lips and he ruffled Aimee's hair affectionately.

“Where did you leave the rest?," she asked with a pout, noticing that only Baekhyun, Chen and Suho came.

“They have better things to do than seeing you," Chen answered with a mean grin.

"Who knows? They're all doing random things and no doubt Chanyeol is going around trolling everyone." Baekhyun shrugged.

"Just like his wackjob of a noona." Chen agreed, referring to the girls' crazy leader.

“Since Overdose promotions started again we barely have time to ourselves so they preferred spending one of their rare day offs with family, non-celebrity friends or simply by theirselves instead of you guys. You aren't mad, are you?" explained Suho in his usual calm, gentlemanly manner. One thing Hyehyun really liked about him was his kindness, he treated everyone well and had a positive attitude. Even when he was preparing for his debut and after he got famous, he always kept in touch with her and the fame never went to his head.

“Of course it's fine. Take a seat, are there enough menu cards for all of you?” Hyehyun asked and moved her chair to make a bit space for the Exo members. Even though they had friendly expressions they looked tired, with dark circles around their eyes and slightly slumped shoulders. The three of them sat down and Hyehyun was unsure if she should ask about Kris' departure. She only heard about it from the news and would like to hear what her best friend had to say about everything involved but on the other hand this was also a very private issue and she could understand if he didn't like to talk about that.

So she just sipped on her tea.

“Are you fine after Kris left?”

It was Aimee who broke the silence. The EXO members visibly tensed and Chen made a slight grimace.

“Well, as fine as the situation allows it, I guess. At least our concert was a success, though it was difficult to cope with the sudden line-up change. We lost some fans, gained a few antis and had to change our shedule but when I first read about the departure in the newspaper, I was expecting worse than that," Suho answered and Hyehyun could hear disappointment and sadness in his voice.

"How does Seul-noona feel about Kris' departure?" Baekhyun asked quietly, looking to Sumin for answers. Seulyong was pretty close to Kris, so she must've been quite shocked about it. "Chanyeol hadn't told anyone..."

"Unnie was devastated. She threw a tantrum in our room after she realized he left." Sumin answered, drumming her fingers on the table. "Unnie has been pretty busy as of late, so she's been quiet lately."

Suho softly nodded. He looked drained and Hyehyun wished she could do something to help him because she hated seeing her best friend like that but they were still in public where everyone could see them. So Hyehyun only searched for his hand under the table with her own and gave it a tight squeeze in a gesture of comfort. When she wanted to withdraw the hand, Suho kept holding and entwined their fingers instead.

He probably needed that support. Suho tried his best to do damage control, being now the only leader of the eleven member boygroup, he had to reassure everyone that everything would be okay and try to ease the worried minds of s and fans. It was really the best choice, he was a responsible and capable leader unlike other persons that left their groups in midst of their promotions or pulled the group into their first dating scandals weeks after their debut. Hyehyun frowned at the memory before focusing back on her hand. It was feeling a bit weird, she felt like her hand was getting a bit sweaty but she didn't dare to lose the grip, after all she wanted to show Suho that she was there and that he could count on her.

For some reason, she felt shy about looking towards him and so she looked down into her cup of tea instead.

authors' note

Its a two parter~