Prologue

소리 발전 Solibaljeon {Hallyu Sound Evolution} | SM Entertainment's New Girlgroup

 

One, two, three, four - and again!“, Kim seonsaengnim's sharp voice rang through the big training hall while she replayed the song that just ended. She was eyeing the three dozen female trainees in front of her that were learning a new choreograpy.
Her brows furrowed as she watched one particular bad dancer trying to follow the dance. Seriously, she thought, how do some of them plan to debut when there were still so many mistakes in their movements?

Seryung Kim had been the dance instructor of SM Entertainment since almost a decade and it was her who trained girls like Hyoyeon, Victoria and Luna to make their dancing as smooth and powerful as it is today. Of course she was one of the first people who were told about the new project the CEO and managing directors were planning. And now she and the other trainers had to present their most capable trainees to the head department so they could choose whom they‘d like to debut.
Seryung ran her hand through her short hair and leaned her back against the big mirror.

This wasn‘t as easy as it sounded. Since days she and the other instructors were fighting about whom they‘d suggest for the nine member girlgroup. Unfortunately most of the best dancers - and with best she means the really great ones who could even outdo Hyoyeon in a battle -were just mediocre singers, entertainers, visuals or rappers while the girls that the other instructors reconommed were mostly below averange at dancing.

She watched the trainees for a while. Some of the newer ones got intimnidated because of her piercing gaze. Seryung Kim was actually not a mean person but after she was recruted by SM Entertainment she soon figured out that being lenient on the trainees wouldn‘t end up good. They visited her lessons to learn how to dance and so she made them work hard on different dancestyles until they reached their limits. She knew that this was the reason the majority of the trainees hated her with a passion but she couldn‘t care less about that. They were making continuously great improvements and she was sure that they wouldn't disappoint. In the end they would gain amazing skills and she thought that it was worth it.

„Huh? Torturing the poor trainees again, Seryung?“, a voice next to her asked and Kim flinched in surprise. She didn‘t see him approaching her.

„Yah, Jaehyun! I told you to not creep up on me again!“, she scowled at him. Yong Jaehyun was the new vocal coach for the trainees and he moved as soundless as fox. Seryung hated how he always seemed to pop out of nowhere and start a conversation.

„This was for abadoning me without the trainees. You know, the four hours of dancing practice are over and they should‘ve been in the studios fifteen minutes ago“, he told her while pushing up the glasses on his nose bridge.

Seryung looked at the watch on her wrist.

„Oh , you‘re right!“, she exclaimed and her eyes got wide like saucers. Because she didn‘t want the trainees to be preoccuppied with staring at the clock on the wall of the training room she decided to put it off and use a wristwatch to determine the time instead. Well, the negative effect was her sometimes forgetting about the time and ending up like this.

„I‘ve got an important meeting with some of the marketing department! Oh god, I'm doomed!“

Jaehyun just saw how she grabbed her backpack and rushed out of the room in a hurry. A few trainees instantly dropped on the ground and wiped their sweat of off their foreheads while others stared surprised of Kim seonsaengnims absence at the door which was left open. Jaehyun stopped the music to get the attention of the last remaining dancers.

„Well“, he said when everyone was looking at him, „let‘s continue with singing practise.“

The girls instantly sighed and muttered small complains under their breaths.