Prologue II

소리 발전 Solibaljeon {Hallyu Sound Evolution} | SM Entertainment's New Girlgroup

 


Kim Youngmin was sitting in his big, old armchair and doing some paperwork when suddenly his secretary entered.

"Your guests have arrived, sir. Should I send them in?" She asked while bowing.

"Yes and make some coffee and tea too, please." He answered, not bothering to look up. With a sigh he puts a form he just filled out on the top of one of the stacks at the table. Since the new girl group would debut in some months, already the whole SM Headquarters had plenty to do. This here would be just another task to make their debut successful.

"Hello, we are Sweetune." The man with glasses said when they were stepping into his office. The other male looked a bit curious at the expensive paintings on the wall and the big mahogahony table. Kim Youngmin liked that the furnishing of his office looked slightly intimidating for some people. It gave him more authority.

"Welcome. I‘m Kim Youngmin, the current CEO of SM Entertainment. Please sit down and make yourself comfortable. Perhaps some tea?" He asked, smiling as his secretary came with two cups of hot jasmine teas.

The two men were slowly sitting down and shifting a bit in their seats.

"Umm...no, thanks" The man without glasses said and played nervously with his fingers.

The other one didn‘t seem as friendly as he came straight to the point without any small talk. "Why did you ask for an appointment? I thought SM had enough decent in-house producers?“

The smile on Kim Youngmin‘s face faltered just a bit. "Of course we have more than enough decent in-house producers! But for the sound of 'Solibaljeon', our new girl group, we‘d like to have a different, outstanding sound that stands out. Not the typical Electro- or Dance-pop."

"Soli Baljeon? Sound Evolution?“ Asked one of them. That name had a strong meaning and they questioned if the group could live up to these expectations. This was the Pop-music industry after all and having an entierly unique music style was a rarity. Didn‘t the CEO think of the critics that would arise if  'Sound Evoulution‘ couldn‘t live up to his name?

The man with glasses gave him a sign to go on so Kim Youngmin leaned back in his armchair and continued further. "I‘d thought of something smooth and funky with horns or guitar instruments maybe. But nothing like a ballad, rather something uplifting. But that doesn‘t mean that it needs to be up-tempo, but mid-tempo should be fine." He explained and looked expectantly at the two men in front of him.

"We actually don‘t compose songs fitting to anyone's wishes. If you are telling us to compose a song we could do that and we also have a selection of great songs you could buy but we won‘t create songs according to your expectations." The man with glasses said and stood up to bow and leave.

But Kim Youngmin quickly placed an envelope on the table in front of him. "Of course we‘ll come up for all the expenses.“

Both of them were a bit hesitant to open the envelope but in the end they couldn‘t overcome their curiosity. Their eyes became huge as they were counting the money inside. It was a huge sum, three times more than the amount they usually got.

"Of course this is just one half. You‘ll get the other half when I get the song. If it‘s good then maybe we can give even a bit more." Kim Youngmin said, amused by their shocked expressions.

This seemed to break the spell.

"Count us in."  The man without glasses muttered while the other one nodded and confidently added, "We'll make sure to not disappoint you. Their debut song is going to be an all-kill."