Chapter ELEVEN

소리 발전 Solibaljeon {Hallyu Sound Evolution} | SM Entertainment's New Girlgroup

 

Chapter Eleven

Nine Girls on their Way to Hallyu Stardom

“What kind of schedule do we have today?” Sumin yawned out as she entered the kitchen and plopped down on the next best chair.

“A fansigning at a shopping mall in Incheon and our last music broadcast performance before the 'What should I do?' cycle of promotion is over. Seulyong-unnie has a meeting with the promotions team to discuss our follow-up song. Hyehyun-unnie, Aimee-ya and Hotaru-ya have an additional photo shoot for Harper's Bazaar in Daegu," Bara answered all the while stirring a pot.

She and Seulyong were the best cooks of the group and so they were always taking turns at making breakfast for the group. This meant that one of them always had to wake up a bit earlier to prepare the dishes but neither of them was complaining – Seulyong took her leadership very seriously and Bara liked taking care of people.

Even though she was far from being the oldest, Bara kind of  developed a maternal instinct for her bandmembers and was constantly nagging at them to eat properly. They had heavy shedules and Bara was concerned that too much dieting would affect their health in a negative way, so she made sure that everyone ate at least some breakfast and dinner, even if they couldn't eat lunch. She and Seulyong would cook lunch for whoever could make it back to the dorm for lunch, otherwise they'd just snack on whatever they could eat at their schedule. Sometimes, if both girls weren't too busy, they'd make lunch the night before and pack it for the girls the next day.

“It smells delicious! What do we have for breakfast?” On the other hand, Aimee entered the kitchen with a bright smile and not a single bit affected by the fact that she just woke up at five 'o clock after sleeping for mere six hours. Sumin still looked like a zombie and Bara also had some trouble keeping her eyes open but the maknae was already full of energy.

“I made some scrambled eggs for breakfast. These noodles I'm currently cooking are for lunch. Though I'm not sure if you'll be eating here since you'll be really busy today.” Bara answered, turning the stove on low heat and patted some rice in a bowl for the maknae.

Aimee pouted for a moment when she was handed her rice bowl but her face lit up again instantly when she was told that she'd shoot for Harper's Bazaar today. She liked fashion but since she wasn't one of the most visually appealing members of her group like Hotaru, Bara or Tiao Ning were, she hadn't had many offers to grace the pages of Korea's fashion magazines yet.

 


“Annyeonghasaeyo Bara-sshi! I'm one of your biggest fans!” The girl in front of Bara giddily exclaimed while bowing multiple times. She was approximately her age, short, with a bad case of acne and straight, black hair with sidebangs. In her hands were an aluminum sheet of lemon muffins and on top of that Solibaljeon's debut album and a white envelope, probably containing a fan letter.

Bara smiled at her and reached for the album. “I'm glad to hear that. Your support means really a lot to us. Uhm...what is your name?”

“Wookyung... You can call me Wookyung." The girl blinked nervously with her eyes, Bara not noticing the change of emotion. It was just for a brief second but none of the girls really paid attention as they were all too busy with their fans. The fangirl placed the muffins on the table and gently slid it towards Bara.  “And this is for you. I baked them myself so I really hope that they turned out well.”

“Here, your album.” Bara held the album in her hands mid-air after she finished signing it. "Thank you for the muffins."

The girl seemed confused for a second, or maybe Bara just imagined it, before she smiled and took it out of Bara's hands. Bara had written, 'Wookyung-ah, I'm really glad that you turned up to support us despite the hot weather today. And I love muffins a lot, so thanks for them, too!~'

One of the bodyguards slightly pulled the girl into the direction of the exit since she had already spent enough time with Bara and there was a small queue for the Solibaljeon members. She stumbled away but kept looking backwards so Bara sent her a smile again before giving her present to one of the managers so that he could put it with the other gifts she received. Then she turned with a happy expression to the lancy teenage boy in front of her.

“Annyeonghasaeyo! I'm Bara, Solibal's Alluring Rose!”

 


“I didn't think that so many people would turn up today. It seems like Solibal is steadily gaining fans." Hyehyun happily said once they turned back to their van. She plopped down onto one of the seats and looked at the small pile of presents on the folding table in front of her. “How do we know which present was given to which of us?”

“Well... most are wrapped in some kind of paper or attached to a fanletter." Seulyong pointed out, knowing quite well how these things ran. She was a Fandol after all and before her debut, she would occasionally go to Beast and B1A4's fansigning events.

“I'm hungry~” Aimee whined in frustrated and dropped herself next to Hyehyun.

Hyehyun teasingly ruffled the maknae's hair. “Seriously, I wonder where all the food goes to. You eat double as me and you're still the thinnest one of us.”

Aimee just grinned sheepishly.

“I got some muffins earlier. You can take a few if you like." Bara offered, who overheard the conversation while talking to Seulyong about dinner. The other five members were in the other van, no doubt sleeping, sulking, or threatening the perkiest member.

“Unnie is the best. Thanks a lot!” Aimee cheered out and stuffed her face with food. Seulyong snorted and rolled her eyes at the gluttonous maknae.

 


Fifteen minutes later, Aimee started to feel slightly uncomfortable. Her stomach hurt badly and she felt a bit sick, so she couldn't really focus on anything around her for more than a few seconds. So she shut her eyes and leaned forward in her seat to the window, hands pressed against her sensitive stomach to make the nausea slightly more bearable. It didn't help that their manager was a horrible driver – Jongbae was constantly speeding up or hitting the brakes and that didn't really help her with her current condition.

Maybe it was because of the weather, Aimee mused. This summer was particulary hot and she hadn't drank a lot since the morning, where she had her usual cup of tea. But then again, she wasn't usually this susceptible to the temperatures and at the fansigning she was still feeling perfectly fine...

“Aimee? Is something wrong?” She heard Hyehyun's husky voice next to her. Right... After dropping off Bara and the other girls at the dorm and Seulyong at SM HQ with Manager Kyungtae, Aimee was heading to a photoshoot with Hyehyun and Hotaru together and afterwards they would have another performance of 'What should I do?'.

Aimee groaned. Although she was usually looking forward to her schedules, she was envious of her groupmates who went home that moment. Even though she tried her best, she was certain that she couldn't look glamourous and beautiful enough for a two-hour-long shooting right now. She wasn't even sure if she was able to stand on her own.

“Jongbae-oppa, there's something wrong with Aimee!” She heard Hyehyun's worried voice and suddenly there was a hand on her back, softly rubbing circles.

Their manager grunted and Aimee felt the engine speeding up. A new wave of nausea hit her and she pressed her hand tightly against her face.

“Aimee is seriously sick. We should stop the van, Jongbae-oppa.” Aimee recognized Hotaru's softer voice. Her eyes were still shut and she felt too weak to even speak for herself. The air in the van reeked of dust and chemicals and Aimee felt horribly sick. She heard Hotaru and Hyehyun arguing with the older manager but she couldn't really make out the words. She wished she was home with her mother who would hug her and boil some tea that would calm her instead of being trapped in that van.

“Aimee, can you hear me?” She heard Hyehyun's voice again and suddenly her upper body was lifted up and there was a cold hand on her forehead. “She's burning up! She has a fever of at least 39 degrees. This is crazy! Aimee-ya, can you hear me?”

Aimee tried to focus but her vision was blurring in front of her eyes and so the image of Hyehyun kept shifting. She managed to nod though.

“Oppa, stop the car right now. She needs medical help and you can't just continue driving with her in this condition." Hotaru's voice was unusually sharp. Without a warning, the van suddenly made a sharp curve and came abruptly to an halt.

Aimee immediately tried to open the door of the van but didn't succeed until Hyehyun helped her. Then she stumbled out and gasped for the fresh air. Other cars were passing her at high speed and Aimee realized that she was on a highway. At this point she knew that she was so sick she couldn't participate at the shooting and she wished she was still in Seoul, so she could arrive easier at the dorms.

“Nana! Everything okay?” She heard her nickname and only nod before Hotaru and Hyehyun were already at her side, probably worried she would fall down if they wouldn't hold onto her. It was probably a legit concern since Aimee felt like her knees were out of glee and didn't feel all to stable on her legs, either.

“We're calling an ambulance. This might be serious so I'm going to call an ambulance right now," Hotaru felt uneasy and takes out her mobile while hugging Aimee with her other arm.

“We won't call an ambulance! Nahee, take some painkillers and then go back into the van. We have to be there in fifteen minutes at the shooting location. Hotaru, give me your mobile right now so you won't do something stupid!” Jongbae jumped out of the van and slammed the door shut.

Aimee leaned against her bandmates because her legs almost gave in.

“She can't oppa. I'm not kidding. Her temperature is alarmingly high and if you refuse to get her to the hospital, we have to get an ambulance!" This was the first time Aimee heard Hyehyun being so panicked. She blinked a few times and her vision started to shift and blur even more. She heard how Hotaru was retorting something to the manager because her vision was suddenly becoming black.

authors' note

Hey there lovelies~ sorry for the long wait! I just got back from my vacation and I'm currently job hunting so I'm kinda busy. (Not really. Im actually being a lazy hobo but I kid you not on the job hunting lol).

There is a part 2 to this but I'm currently waiting for Sori to finish writing it (I just edit lol). She's currently on vacation at the moment, so you aegies have to be mortified by this cliff-hanger. So what do you think happened?! Gahhhhhhhhhh I'm panicking too!

Guess we'll have to see and wait until Sori finishes!

~ Linda