Chapter FOURTEEN

소리 발전 Solibaljeon {Hallyu Sound Evolution} | SM Entertainment's New Girlgroup

 

Chapter Fourteen

Nine Girls on their Way to Hallyu Stardom

 

"Cut!"

A man waved his hands back and forth, suddenly rising from his seat. He looked exasperated, the directions given by him did not seem to go through the girl's head.

"Sori-ssi, do I have to send you to the back permanently? Can you follow the directions I give you?" The man, presumably the photographer, asked the girl on question. "You did so well on the photo shoot for your debut. What happened here?"

Sori grimaced. She wanted so bad to be the rude self she was and complain to the photographer that she was not comfortable doing a cute concept and posing with men. But she knew she had to keep shut least their leader, as much as she really didn't care, would get into trouble. And knowing Seulyong, she'd most likely take the blame even if it wasn't her fault.

Sighing, she hung her head, slightly grinding her teeth in anger. "I'm sorry sir."

The photographer sighed for the umpteenth time and redirected the shoot, making full sure she listened this time. "We'll do this again."

"Is it me or does Sori look uncomfortable around Dongwoon?"

The other eight girls jumped when Beast's Kikwang spoke from behind them. The music video to Solibaljeon's comeback track 'LUV' was in the process of being edited and processed. Beast had offered to participate in Solibaljeon's photo shoot if the girls offered to help with theirs for their own comeback. Well they more specifically asked for Seulyong to feature in the music video.

For personal reasons they couldn't reveal.

"Omona... Sunbaenim, you scared us." Tiao Ning lifted a hand to her chest, her pulse rising slowly. The Chinese member was so focused on Sori's turn that she forgot Beast was there.

"Oops! Sorry." Kikwang apologized, giving a shy laugh.

"Hmmm....Dongwoon matches her in height. But she seems so stiff." Doojoon muttered next to Seulyong. As if fate played a hand in this, Seulyong and Doojoon were both paired together, as partners in both photo shoots as well as both music videos. It was amusing to the two groups, that both dorky leaders were to act as a couple for their concepts - both in love yet scared to lose one another.

"True..." Seulyong sighed. She looked concerned about the rapper. "Sori is not the most friendly type. Plus look at poor Woonie! He looks anxious!"

"I think he'll be fine." Doojoon said. Seulyong only pouted, Doojoon chuckled and ruffled the girl's hair. Playfully nudging him, Seulyong laughed and fixed her hair before the stylist had a fit.

Aimee nudged the nearest member next to her, Hyehyun flinching slightly in surprise. "Look at how friendly unnie is with Doojoon-sunbaenim. I knew she had a crush on him."

"They are friends and ex-trainees maknae." Hyehyun clarified, sighing. "It makes sense that they'd be close."

"Sure~" Aimee grinned, the idea of their leader crushing on an older idol amused her. She mischievously winked at the main vocalist. "Just like you and Suho?"

"What is that suppose to mean?" Hyehyun asked innocently, biting her lower lip. Gosh, this maknae. "What about you and Chen?"

"We're just best friends unnie." Aimee nonchalantly said as she skipped towards Bara. "Bara-unnie~"

Looking up from the photo boards she was looking over with Yoseob, Bara raised an eyebrow. "Yes Aimee?"

"Oh hi sunbaenim!" Aimee called out, forgetting to greet the older male. "The other unnies are no fun. And I don't even know where Hotaru is."

Bara pinched the maknae's cheek. "Hotaru is in the break room with Junhyung-sunbaenim. They're catching up on the time they were filming Monstar."

"Oh!" Aimee eyes widened. "Doojoon-sunbaenim and Seul-unnie are going up next."

"Oouuu. This will be interesting." Yoseob muttered as he began to usher his other members. Even though the members from Solibaljeon didn't know their leader was dating Beast's leader, the male idols did. And they were dying to see their leader being all mushy on the girl that stole his heart.

Settling themselves behind set, the members of Solibaljeon and Beast focused their attention of the two oldest members present. Both Doojoon and Seulyong were directed to sit on a white couch, the male's body facing towards the camera whereas the female's back slightly turned.

"Doojoon-ssi, place your hand on Seul-ssi's hip. Don't just place it there. Do it lovingly as if you don't want to let her go." The photographer called out, snapping pictures. "Remember you two are really in love. So in love that you refuse to lose each other. I want to see deep emotions!"

This was something they both could do. It was the only time to be in character yet still be themselves around each other without anyone finding out. Yes it was risky, but they both believed that people would just think they were in character.

Doojoon lightly touched Seulyong's hips, his fingers brushing the fabric that separated her skin from his touch. His fingers lingered slightly, smiling at her as she gazed lovingly at him. Switching into a different position with Doojoon's head on her lap, Seulyong smiled sweetly at him. Those smiles held their love for each other, their everything for each other. To the world it would look fake but to Seulyong and Doojoon, it was real.

As real as it could be.

"Wow." Bara muttered, her eyes captivated. "Even our kid leader can look so in love with someone."

"I didn't know hyung had it in him." Kikwang muttered next to her, the others nodding. "Usually hyung has a goofy expression or a serious one on out photoshoots. Even with other female models, he looked so serious."

"Unnie too. She's always so carefree with photoshoots or serious." Hyehyun nodded. "I always thought Bara and Hotaru were amazing group models but seeing unnie in this light is really cool."

"No one could beat that chemistry." Sori scoffed, pretending to gag. "Seriously they make me want to gag. Ugh."

"I thought they were lovely." Tiao Ning clapped, Hyunseung nodding as the leaders bowed to the photographer and staff and retreated to the break room.

Junhyung and Hotaru were to be photographed next, their chemistry a little awkward but closer than that of the others. Everyone followed suit and although everyone had nice, stunning photos, there was a thrilling tension in the air as the ladies of Solibaljeon tried to piece out what relationship Doojoon and Seulyong really had.

In the break room, with Dongwoon oddly standing guard, Doojoon and Seulyong sat side by side giving each other loving gazes. Closing her in his arms, he whispered sweetly. "I love you Seulyong."

"And I love you Doojoon." Seulyong whispered back, a smile plastered unto her face.

And they were never caught that day.

 


Sumin sat nervously in the waiting room of Immortal Songs 2. Twirling her fingers, she took deep breaths and told herself to calm down. Looking at all the other idols and singers that were guests on today's special, she wondered how she even got invited.

Sumin was pretty humble about her vocals, despite her being one of the powerhouse main vocals in her group. She always thought Hyehyun was better than herself, her fellow main vocalist having an incredible vocal range. Yuntue, for a lead vocalist, and even Seulyong, whose fans also considered a lead vocalist, had pretty strong vocals as well. Sumin knew how to cover a rap, like she did for her cover of Beast's On Rainy Days, but there was no technique or anything that made her a rapper. Heck, even Seulyong and Aimee were considered sub-rappers because they rapped better than her.

But why was she invited on Immortal Songs 2 instead and not Hyehyun or Yuntue? Or even all three?

"Sumin-ssi, you ok?"

Sumin looked next to her, only to be greeted by one of main vocalists of ZE:A. Kim Kevin gave her a small comforting smile, his korean flawless despite his Australian-Korean background. "First time? You'll do fine. From what Rosie told me, you're a really great singer."

Another of Seulyong's friends? Where in the world does she find these people? Much less time to be friends with them? Solibaljeon's leader was such a mystery. Sumin knew Kevin was a friend of Seulyong since very few idols, particularly those who spoke English, called her by her English name.

Sumin was also greeted by a few other members of ZE:A. She met rookie group GOT7, The One, Kim Jongseo, and Bobby Kim. She was the only girl surrounded by guys and she was the only one singing a foreign female legend's song. She felt a bit pressured that she wouldn't do well but she had to show these guys up. Right?

"Sumin-ssi, what song have you prepared for us?" One of the three backstage hosts asked Sumin, curious what the only female would perform.

"Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You." Sumin replied, giving a small smile. "I hope I do well."

"I heard you can speak fluent English?" Another asked, looking for any clues that she was indeed fluent.

"Yeh. I was born here in Seoul but raised in America." Sumin clarified, clenching her hands tightly. She was nervous and this was the first time in her short idol career that she would perform by herself. Without her group mates.

"Wow. Sumin-ssi is the only female artist today. Did you not have a comeback lately?" The third host asked.

"Yeh. The group I belong to recently revealed our comeback music video." Sumin softly smiled, hoping no one noticed the shakiness in her voice. "It's a different concept than our original but I hope everyone enjoys it and shows us love."

"I listened to it last night and I heard it's very well received by the public." Kevin gave his two cents in the matter. He gave Sumin a smile in which she hung her head shyly.

"Did the rest of your members not come?"

Sumin gave a small smile. "Although half of the group speaks fluent English, they decided not to participate in this special with me since the song I chose was hard for them to sing."

"Well I hope you pull a spectacular performance Sumin-ssi." The host said as he nodded his head towards her. He continued to introduce the other guests that were invited to the show.

Sumin felt insecure and she wanted to hide somewhere. She originally intended to decline the invitation but her group members pushed her to take it on, the younger members claiming that this would be a great publicity for Solibaljeon if people were to hear one of their main vocalists on Immortal Songs 2. Hyehyun was told that she would join as a guest another time.

Sumin was scared. What if she messed up things for the show? What if she messed it up for her group? Taking deep breaths, she excused herself from the waiting room, only to have one of the staff rush towards her, eight other girls following.

"Everyone..."

"Unnie! Have you gone up yet?" Tiao's excitingly asked, the others shouting behind her, telling her to not be so loud.

"Not yet." Sumin answered. "They haven't decided on the lineup."

"Hang in there ok?" Aimee smiled before giving Sumin a hug.

"I'm really nervous. I'm the only girl here and all the idols here are male and have much more experience than I do and-" Sumin started but was interrupted.

"GOT7 debuted after us, Suminnie." Sori clicked her tongue. "You've got more experience than them."

"And perfect English." Aimee nodded.

"So does ZE:A's Kevin..." Tiao Ning pouted.

"But they're better performers. And they're more popular than Solibaljeon. And-"

"Take deep breaths Suminnie." Seulyong directed. "I know this is hard on you. Especially since you're one of our quieter members. I really wanted Hyehyun to be there on Immortal Songs 2 instead since she's a bit more social but they invited you first. But I know you can do it Suminnie."

"I know that unnie." Sumin replied, her voice giving slightly away. "What if I mess up?"

"You won't." Yuntue said. "You'll do absolutely fine. I heard you sing this song and you'll blow everyone away with your voice. Hyehyun may have better technique but you have more soul and emotion."

"You go knock everyone off their seats." Hyehyun nodded, giving her fellow main vocalist comfort. "We'll all be in the audience supporting you."

"That's right." Bara gave her a thumbs up. "Show those male idols and singers that you can sing just as good as them."

Sumin didn't know what to say. She never imagined the rest of her groupmates would be there. To support her. She felt slightly relieved and thankful that her members were there since she was so scared to go on stage by herself.

Laying a hand on her shoulder, Seulyong gave her a comforting smile. "Show others you're capable of. Don't think so little of yourself. Everyone here is proud of you and we will always support you. We all support each other. Don't think about what others think. Go out there and sing to your hearts content."

Sumin nodded. She picked out one of Whitney Houston's hardest songs because of her feelings for Baekhyun. After finding out about Baekhyun and Taeyeon were dating, Sumin fell slightly in depression though her members didn't know. But knowing that she couldn't keep these feeling bottled up any longer, she felt like she had to sing of it. Granted no one knew about it, but Sumin wanted to let him go from her heart.

Once and for all.

She nodded and her turn soon came. She was picked as the first performer. She sighed and felt anxious, noticing the eyes of the audience as they sized her up. "Annyeonghaesayo. I'm Sumin from Idol Group Solibaljeon. Today I'll be singing Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You. Please enjoy."

Taking her place center stage, Sumin eyed the audience looking for signs of her members and found them in the front row, each giving her victory signs, thumbs ups and comforting smiles. She closed her eyes and composed herself, her piano accompaniment slowly starting.

 

If I should stay,
I would only be in your way...

 

Starting softly, she watched the audience. She noticed some watched her intensely, others closing their eyes to hear her soulful voice, others slowly tearing up listening to her beautiful voice.

 

And I~ will always love you~
I~ will always love you~ ou

I hope life treats you kind,
And I hope you have all you've dreamed of.
​And I wish to you, joy and happiness. 
​But above all this, I wish you love.

 

The rest of her performance was enjoyable and people seemed to respond well to her voice. And although Sumin did not win that night, she stirred the hearts of others.

Solibaljeon gained new fans that following night.

authors' note

Hello lovelies~ there's a second part to this chapter which will focus on the comeback stage and the reception of the comeback song.

Considering that Suminnie's vocal twin is Ailee, I decided to replace Ailee with Sumin for this special episode of Immortal Songs 2. Since Sumin was raised in the USA, she'd have fluent English and I absolutely love this cover that Ailee performed.

Lol I know I'm bad at giving subtle hints. But good to know that you all know the song :) I have an awesome chapter planned out for the comeback. 

I guess this was more a filler chapter? Lol anyway glad we get to see SeulJoon in this chapter. Do I sense a JunTaro pairing here ? XD

I'm hoping to get the other love stories on a roll as well.

​HAPPY NEW YEARS YA'LL

~ Linda