My Hero

Band Of Brothers

-GARY POV-

Ring...Ring... School has ended. I hurriedly packed my bag and rushed out of the class immediately. Running to Ji Hyo's class, I hope Mansik and his gang doesn't disturb her again. 

"Hello... Let's go!" I said to Ji Hyo, panting heavily. 

"I can't. I got to finish up this essay first. Why don't you go back first with the rest of BOB?" She told me as she write out her essay in neat and proper handwriting. 

"The rest of them are going out today. I got test tomorrow. It's okay. I will wait for you." I said, smiling to her and sitting in front of her. Taking out my chemistry textbook, I started studying. 

3.30pm. 1 hour 45 mimutes after school ended, Ji Hyo finally finished. 

"Done!" Ji Hyo said happily as she tapped my shoulder. Keeping our things, we close the door and made our way down to the staffroom for Ji Hyo to submit her essay. We were at the staircase when suddenly, a lot of boys gathered around us. 

I pushed Ji Hyo behind him and I dropped my bag. Mansik made his entrance as the boys made way for him. 

"Where is your BOB now?" He asked us. "I know. That is why I waited for you two for 1hour and 45 minutes already. If you had finished your essay earlier, I will not have been so pissed. Now, I am really pissed!" Mansik said to us as he clenched his fist. He nodded his head to his friends and his friend snatched my essay out of Ji Hyo's hands. He then stood in front of me and tore her 7 page essay into pieces. 

Enraged, Ji Hyo moved out from my back and gave the boy a punch in his stomach. I then picked him up and pushed him into his friends. His friends fell backwards. Some even rolled down the stairs. 

"You hurt my men again? Damn you. Hit them!" Mansik looked at me before commanding his friends to beat us. Standing back to back with Ji Hyo, we were ready for a fight. However, when they started for us, instead of sending punches in the air, I pushed Ji Hyo down and covered her with my bag. Squatting down, I covered her as they kicked us vigorously. However, I could not hold for long. Ended up, I was kicked aside by Mansik. They grabbed Ji Hyo and slapped her. However, I rushed to them and pushed them down the stairs. Unfortunately, someone grabbed my collar and I went rolling down with them too. I saw Mansik about to slap Ji Hyo again, despite the agonizing pain in my abdomen, I rushed up and hugged Mansik and we were struggling on the floor to keep each other down. His men were helpless. 

"BREAK IT OFF!" Ji Hyo shouted as she managed to break free from Mansik's 2 friends by gifting them a punch each. She hit Mansik in the face and helped me up. Just as Mansik was about to hit me again, a teacher came and stopped all the commotion.

"STOP NOW! EVERYONE TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE NOW!" The male teacher said. I picked up my bag and helped Ji Hyo pick up the pieces of her essay on the floor. 

At the principal's office, Mansik explained his story.

"This morning, she hit me at my bottom and I have been in pain sir. She started it first." He said, not feeling ashamed at all. 

"Sir. Mansik brought his entire cliche to me this morning at the gate and crowded around me. As a girl, I needed to protect myself so I did self-defence first by hitting him there. That was something my parents taught me. I just left school because I was trying to finish my essay. His friend outside tore my 7 page essay up and I spent 1 hour 45 min on it. He then asked his friends to hit us first." Ji Hyo said sincerely. 

"Why did you attack Mansik, Gary?" The principal asked me.

"She is a girl and my friend. He was going to slap her. How can I let a guy hit my friend and a girl at that too." I said honestly. 

"There were a total of 3 incidents today. One in the morning at the gate. Another in my class during recess and one just now. Please check all the CCTVs. If I have to suffer consequences for hitting him, I will. Gary will too." Ji Hyo said very honestly. 

"Yes Sir." I said. 

"Sorry Sir!" Ji Hyo and I bowed down to the principal, apologising. 

"The two of you go first." The principal said to us, waving his hand to ask us to leave. 

"Sir! Another case early this morning at our orphanage too. Please ask the master there to check the CCTV and please bring justice to me and my friend. Even if we did wrong, we will pay our price." Ji Hyo said before leaving and we bowed and left the office. 

On the way back to the orphanage, we were quiet all the way. Before she went to her room, I asked her.

"Come to our room. I will help you clean up your wound." 

"Ok. Thank you." Ji Hyo said as she followed me to our rooms. 

Sitting on Jae Suk's bed, she was very quiet and showed no signs of feeling pain while I used a cotton bud applied on some antiseptic cream at the corner of her lips. Suddenly, a drop of tear dripped onto my hand. I stopped immediately. 

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

"Thank you so much for defending me. You must be hurt very badly. Sorry for bringing you down." She said as she cried. 

"It's okay. We are BOB. We have to be there for each other." I said to her. 

She cleaned her tears and smiled for once today.

"Thank you. You can continue now." She said to me. 

Continuing, I got a shock when suddenly everyone barged in. 

"Hey, we heard that you were beaten up?" Jae Suk said, looking at Ji Hyo as he dumped his bag onto his bed.

"I am fine. Gary saved me. He was my hero today." Ji Hyo said, smiling to me.

"HERO!!! YAY! GARY IS OUR HERO TODAY!" Haha shouted and they turned a gloomy day into a partying day and happy day. 

I saved Ji Hyo today and I am her hero...