Surprising 18th Birthday

Band Of Brothers

-JI HYO POV-

"Ji Hyo! Time to wake up!" Eun Hye dragged me out of my bed. Getting up and covering myself, I was so tired. Last night, I stayed up to study for my test today. Haish... So sleepy. I dragged my body out and I really woke up when I banged into the toilet door as I was walking with my eyes closed. 

"Haha! Ji Hyo! TIME TO WAKE UP!" All the girls shouted at me. After the hard bang, I am seriously up. 

As I walk out of my room, I knocked on the boys' room. Knocking, no one seemed to be up. I opened the door and got the shock of my life. 

"HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY JI HYO!" Jae Suk was in the room too. Jae Suk left this place about 4 years ago. By the age of 22, no one was allowed to stay anymore. The orphanage helped rented a room for Jae Suk and Suk Jin to stay in nearby. They would drop by at times to see us but since they have started working, we don't see them as often. Suk Jin and Jae Suk started working atthe Samsung company. The entire BOB was together for once in 6 months. Jong Kook will be leaving soon. In fact, he has already started packing. He will shift over to stay with Jae Suk and Suk Jin. 

"Thank you! Oppa!" I thanked them and ran to give Jae Suk a hug. He now has control over his own bank account. I can too, today as I am officially 18 years old. We all sat down and started talking. As we talked, I nearly forgot that I had school. I apologised to everyone as Gwangsoo and I got up and took our leave first. 

"Thank you for everything and all the gifts. See you again. Gwangsoo. Hurry. The bus is leaving." I said as I picked up my bag and sprinted. Jong Kook ran past me and helped catch the bus for us as the bus uncle was closing the door.

"Thanks Jong Kook." I thanked him.

"Hyung, thank you!" Gwangsoo said as he got onto the bus. Many people have mistooken Gwangsoo to be my brother since he was taller than me and we are very close. Ever since the rest stopped schooling in the same school, it was just me and Gwangsoo with the other girls. 

"I can't believe that Jong Kook is leaving soon. I will miss them..." I said as I felt like time was travelling so fast. I still remember Mansik's incident like it was yesterday.

"Here we are! Please get down carefully..." The bus uncle said as he opened the door for us. 

"Thank you uncle!" I then put $2 in his tips box. 

"Thanks Ji Hyo." He said and smiled to me.

"Good luck Gwangsoo!" I wished him luck as we seperated ways. It was our final year examinations already. I need to score well to graduate well to go to a good university. 

Sitting down, I saw Mansik. 

"Good luck!" I said and I shook his hand. 

"Thanks. All the best to you too. I heard that you are aiming to go international university?" He said. He looks very decent now although he stills fight with others at times. 

"Yea. It was what my parents wanted so I will try my best. See you around." I said and returned to my seat as the teacher walked in with our scripts. 

Doing the paper, I managed well but did not want to have high hopes. It was our last paper. Thank god. I want to go and have fun after this.

"Pens down. You may go!" The teacher made a special allowance for us to leave before he collected our papers. Picking my bag up, I quickly rushed back to the orphanage. Gwangsoo was already there when I arrived. Looks like he ended before I did. 

"Celebration!" I screamed as we took a train to Lotte World. There, we played like mad and screamed like we just met ghosts. 

During dinner, some things happened and it surprised me. 

"Ji Hyo. You have some jajangmyeon sauce on your mouth." Jong Kook said and he used his tissue and cleaned it off for me. 

Everyone looked at me and Jong Kook. 

"I can do it. It's fine." I took my own serviette and wiped my mouth. 

Gary then looked at my plate. As my budget was slightly tight after buying tickets in, I bought something small. 

"Ji Hyo. You can have my share." Gary said as he took half of his meal and gave it to me. "Eat Well!" He then said to everyone.

Tired, we took the train back. Since our station was one of the last, we desperately looked for seats and the train got quietter and quietter. 

Joong Ki sat beside me. 

"Noona. I am going to stop calling you Noona. I am going to call you "you"." Joong Ki said out of the blue and suddenly, he leaned in and kissed me on my cheek. 

"Joong Ki!" I said and looked at him. I looked around and the rest of the BOB was staring at me. Gary even leaned forward. "I know it is my birthday but this joke isn't funny." I said and laughed to try to relieve the tension. On the way back, I walked before the rest of them and returned to my room without saying goodbye. 

When I closed the door, my heart was beating so fast. Chae Won came up and asked me,"What happened?"

"If I say this, you cannot be angry." I said, sitting on my bed.

"Just say," She said a little irritated. 

"He kissed me on my cheek!" I said, startled. Chae Won likes Joong Ki. Joong Ki likes Chae Won a little but none of them ever said anything to each other about it. That is why when he kissed me, I got the shock of my life. 

"It is okay. I will chill about it." Chae Won said as she got up and returned to her bed. Confused and tired, I took out a file. A file that contains all the information about my parent's car accident. 

"Ji Hyo!" HaHa knocked on the door. 

"Yes. Why?" I asked him, peeping my head out.

"Can we talk? Jae Suk is gone, I don't know who else to talk to..." He said pleading so I closed the door behind me and walked with him to the stairs. Whenever a member of BOB comes to talk to me, I will sit beside them on the spiral stairs. 

"Why?" I asked him. 

"My parents. I just kind of miss them." He said.

"Don't mind that I ask but how did they die?" I asked, a little curious. He only said that they were in a car accident but never said what happened exactly.

"They were driving home when my dad sped too fast and crashed into another car. Both cars flipped. I arrived there by taxi when I was at my grandfather's place. When I arrived, I saw my parents being sent into an ambulance. I remember seeing this girl cry very terribly as she got onto the ambulance. She was bleeding at her head and her fingers were bloody. Such a saddening scene. Sorry to trouble you on your 18th birthday..." HaHa said solemnly. Sounds familiar. I got hit on my head when my parents and I were together and the car flipped. I too was crying when I got onto the ambulance. It may happen to anyone perhaps. 

"I still remember my parent's car number very clearly. I can never erase it..." I said, clenching my hands together.

"Me too. 1234.5G. Nice car but saddening story." HaHa said. 

Wait a minute. Wasn't that he car that crashed with my parent's car? At that moment, I was so confused, I did not listen to HaHa anymore until he said goodbye. Saying goodbye to him, I ran back to my room. Opening the file, I dug out the police's statement of what happened. 

Car Number 1- 1234.5G was speeding and it was said that they were fighting.

Car Number 2- 5432.1A tried to dodge the car but failed to do so. Daughter Song Ji Hyo playing with father had no effect or will make no difference in the crash.

Car Number 1 is by right responsible however since both driver and the pillion beside driver passed on, no charges are pressed by any party. 

1234.5G. Ha Dong Hoon's parent's caused the death of my parents. I want to tell Jae Suk but I didn't want to affect his work. I will talk about it again. At that time, I called the detective who investigated this case.

"Hello? Detective Sim? Can I enquire something?" I asked him. 

"Sure. What is it?" He asked me.

"Did the driver of 1234.5G had any children?" I asked him. He would know what I am talking about as at times, I would find out a little more details about the case to make my heart rest.

"Hold on," He said and after a while, he returned. "Yes. One child. Boy."

My mouth gaped awide and I was speechless until Detective Sim finished all the details.

"Ha Dong Hoon. 20 years old now. Staying in Riches Orphanage. Birthday 20 August." He said and stopped. 

"Thank... you..." I said as I hung up and my voice shaking. I couldn't sleep. I slept only at 2am in the end. In the morning, I woke up and headed to school early. I needed some peace and quietness for my own. 

"The results are out!" Mansik suddenly jumped in front of me.

"Really? Thank you." I tried to act myself but I couldn't do it.

Looking at the board, I topped the level. Looks like I will get a good chance in going into a good university.  However, my mind could only focus on one thing. Revenge...