A Spy?

Titans

 The two fighters fell over onto their backs.

“Chanyeol!” Baekhyun shouted as he forced himself through the blockade of guards.

“Chen!” Xiumin followed.

The two leaned over their beloveds. Only one of them had survived the final blow.

“I guess fire is stronger than lightning.” Chanyeol breathed heavily.

“Chanyeol!” Baekhyun cried with joy.

“Chen?” Xiumin’s voice cracked. The other pair glanced over at Xiumin in pity. The Titan of Frost sobbed over the now limp body. Guards arrived to drag Chen’s body away and give Chanyeol medical attention.

“No, don’t take him from me!” Xiumin fought against the guards, “Please! I finally had him. Chen!” Xiumin wept. Chanyeol was quickly treated with basic medical attention before they were all sent back to their dorm to await the next fight...back to their prison. Xiumin immediately dashed for his room, where the only occupant was now himself. The others mingled before heading off to their own activities. Baekhyun brought out the first aid kit to properly address Chanyeol’s wounds. Tao, Kris, and Luhan lingered in the living room to make sure the pair was okay.

“He wasn’t trying to kill me, Baek.” Chanyeol furrowed his brows, unaware that the trio in the living room was eavesdropping.

“What do you mean?” Baekhyun paused.

“If he’d wanted to kill me, he would’ve used full force when he struck me the first time. And in that final moment, he didn’t strike me, at all. I mean, maybe I was numb from the previous strike but all I felt was a slight tickle on my neck before he pushed me over.” Chanyeol looked into Baekhyun’s deep brown eyes.

“You don’t mean… he wanted to die?!” Baekhyun gasped.

“I think so; it’s the only explanation.” Chanyeol sighed.

“But what about Xiumin? Why would he give up so easily if he had Xiumin to think about?” Baekhyun argued.

“I don’t get it either. I mean, that’s the only reason I fought him so intensely, because I didn’t want to leave you.” Chanyeol hugged the elder tightly.

“Chanyeol, you know…” Baekhyun’s voice was shaky.

“Shhhh.” Chanyeol interrupted him, “I know.”

“But think about it! Channie, the only people who haven’t fought yet is Tao, Xiumin, Kris, and I. I’m not a match for any of them!” Baekhyun’s eyes began to fill with tears.

Chanyeol continued to comfort the other. Kris realized that there was a chance he’d have to verse Tao. Luhan sensed this and quickly spoke to assure the other.

“Don’t worry Kris, it won’t be like that. I said I wasn’t going to tell you the order, but you deserve to know that much.”

Kris nodded and he and Tao headed to their room. Tao took out his diary and started scribbling down words. Kris suddenly realized something else; something wasn’t right. He took the diary from Tao and examined it carefully.

“Why did you write in Chinese?”

“What do you mean?” Tao’s voice was hoarse and scratchy, “Give it back. I’m not done writing yet.”

“What’s up with your voice?”

“Nothing, just a sore throat is all. Anyway, what are you talking about?”

“The other entry I read. The one of when I first arrived, it was in English. It’s not in here;” Kris pointed out.

“What? Are you sure it was in English?” Tao gulped, obviously guilty of something.

“Yeah ‘cause I read it out loud. And the one I read of you just before you were going to head back in time was in English, too!” Kris was becoming very confused and irritated that he didn’t realize all this until now.

“Kris, calm down.” Tao patted the older on the shoulder.

“You speak English still don’t you?” Kris rubbed his temples. Tao remained silent, thinking of an explanation. Frustrated, Kris took out his ear piece translator and stomped on it. “Speak to me in English.” Kris tightened his fists.

“Kris, I’m sorry you’re confused,” Tao spoke in English with a slight accent.

“Tao, please tell me what the heck is going on!”

“I’m sorry. So the truth is, yes, I can speak English fluently and my Korean isn’t that bad either since I learned from everyone here. But the only thing is, in this time line I’m not supposed to be able to speak English because I never went to Canada. The only reason I haven’t spoken any English is A: the translators, and B: it could possibly create a paradox. If this universe finds out that I don’t belong in this time, it’ll do everything it can to eliminate me. I can remember everything in every time line, so I remember learning to speak English from you. I didn’t tell you earlier because the universe might get hurt.” Tao laughed.

 “But you could’ve told me.” Kris looked downward.

“I wanted to but I knew one thing would lead to another and you’d start asking me about ‘The Plan.'”

“Which I’m still curious about.”

“Which I still can’t tell you about.” Tao frowned, “I’m sorry, Kris. I’m sorry I kept it from you. I didn’t think you’d get so upset or I would’ve told you earlier.”

“Whatever.” Kris sighed.

“No, it’s not whatever! I want you to believe in me but all I’ve done is been evasive. I want you to trust me.”

“I mean, honestly Tao, how can I? I want to be with you but you’ve yet to show me any truths.”

Tears escaped Tao’s eyes. “I’m sorry, Kris. I’m sorry. I wish you knew how sorry I really am. I’m sorry for not being honest and confusing you. You might not think so now, but I’m hiding the truth to protect you and everyone. I know from past experiences that things like this hurt you so I wanted to be honest but I’m doing the best I can to protect you. I probably could’ve handled a few things better but everyone makes mistakes, even me. I love you, Kris and you mean so much to me. I’m just—“

“Tao.” The older stood up to comfort the other.

“I’m sorry.” Tao ran away and shut the door behind him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kris walked out a few moments afterward but Tao wasn’t anywhere in sight. Instead, he found Xiumin sitting alone on the couch.

“Hey.” Kris sat beside the other.

“ 它是什么?”  Xiumin spoke in Chinese to him.

“Oh, crap. I broke my translator… uhh...”

Xiumin took the translator out of his ear and gave it to Kris. “Why did you do that?” Xiumin laughed. They passed the translator back and forth to hold a conversation.

“Tao and I kinda fought…”

“I see. That kinda . You should hurry up and apologize.”

“Why should I apologize?” Kris became defensive, “I was being honest with him.”

“Even if it isn’t your fault sometimes it’s better to say sorry anyway,” Xiumin said.

“When did you become so good with relationships?” Kris nudged the older.

“Yah! You gotta respect you gege/hyung. I don’t know if you guys learn manners in the West, but it's rude to hit your elders,” Xiumin scolded.

“Sorry,” Kris quickly apologized. “But when did you become so good with relationships when I heard you and Chen had just started going out?”

Xiumin blushed, “Yeah, I’m immature when it comes to my own relationships but I learned a lot from my parents’ divorce." Kris nodded and Xiumin continued, “I just think you guys should make up soon. I don’t think you know how much Tao is head over heels for you.”

“Oh yeah?” Kris smiled.

“Yeah, he washed your sheets before you even got here and picked out a wardrobe for you because he knows that you don’t like shopping. He even started practicing making foods that you said you liked in previous time lines. Also, I believe Tao mentioned it to you, but he took care of you the three days you were unconscious. You guys are just so cute!” Xiumin fangirled.

“Well, sometimes it’s better to fight for a little bit so you can expel all your negative feelings and then meet up with that person with only positive ones,” Kris spoke.

Xiumin and Kris heard a door squeak open. Kai and D.O. appeared from their room.

“How is D.O. doing?” Kris stood up to ask Kai. He’s been so concentrated on himself, he almost forgot about D.O.’s condition.

“Fine,” D.O. spoke quietly.

“I managed to get him to talk again,” Kai shrugged.

“That’s amazing!” Xiumin stood up and hugged D.O.

Kris got worried because there was only one translator for him and Xiumin, but Xiumin told the younger to hold onto it.

“But you won’t be able to understand them…”

“Actually, if you'd paid attention to my introduction when we got those, I’m actually Korean,” Xiumin admitted.

“Seriously?”

“Yeah, but I was captured while I was vacationing in China, so everyone just assumed I was Chinese.” Xiumin grinned.

“Oh yeah!” the three others recalled. Amongst their laughter, another presence joined the group which caused them to become silenced.

“What’s up guys?” Luhan forced a smile.

“Nothing, we’ve just talking.” Xiumin refused to make eye contact.

“You don’t mind if I join you, do you?”

“Actually, I think we were just about to head to bed soon.” Kris (fake) yawned. He wasn’t exactly pleased with Luhan at the moment. Luhan was being evasive like Tao, wasn’t the nicest person, and he was controlling people. It’s no wonder people weren’t thrilled to be around him. Luhan took the hint and stormed off to him room.

“I feel bad for being mean…” Kris sighed.

“Don’t; he’s manipulative and suspicious. He hasn’t given us a reason to trust him. Besides, how do we know he isn’t working with TOP? He could be a spy for all we know,” D.O. said coldly.