Titan of Flight

Titans

      "I'm pretty much the most normal person to ever exist" Kris thought to himself. It was the truth; he didn't have any traits that would identify himself as an individual. Kris lives in a quiet town with his parents while attending a local college. Days have become blurred together for him; seeing the same people and having similar conversations everyday was taking a toll on his mental health. People have even told him, "You're so normal, it's boring to be around you." The Chinese-Canadian didn't let it bother him too much though, it's not like he chose to live like this; he has to.

      "I'm pretty much the most normal person to ever exist, except the fact that I can fly..." He finally decided. Kris wasn't human, he was a Titan. He had the ability to bend the amount of gravity on him and soar through the sky in any direction. Basically, he could fly without wings. Kris is capable of so much; not only could he fly, but he was incredibly strong and naturally good looking. Not that he could put any of his born talents to use though; he'd be killed if he did. Humans HATE Titans. They have ever since the Titan War: a battle for territory that his ancestors had taken part in, killing millions of people and destroying billions of homes. So Kris has to do everything he can to not stand out in any way. He'd rather people think he’s a boring loser than have them know his identity and try to kill him.

     Only Kris's mother knew of his identity as a Titan. It wasn't hard to conceal since Titans take the same shape as humans. The only way you could possibly tell someone was a Titan if you saw their symbol tattooed on their chest (above their heart) or if they used their powers.  Not even Kris's father knew that his son was the Titan of Flight. He was so anti-Titan that both Kris and his mother were afraid to tell him. But Kris was tired of hiding the truth from his father, he had to tell him that the Gods had cursed him but he didn't plan on awakening his powers. It was time Kris told his father, no matter what the outcome. So tonight after dinner he'd break the news to his father. Kris had his bags pre-packed in case his father didn't accept him, but Kris hoped for a better outcome.

     "Now or never," Kris mentally prepared himself as soon as his mother called him down for what smelled like a grilled beef and vegetable soup dinner, his father's favorite. He hurried down the stairs to find his father already seated at the table and his mother placing a large pot on a home-knitted trivet. He gave an awkward smile to both while sitting to his father's left.

"Hey dad," he started, "I need to talk to you after dinner."

"You do? About what?" he looked up from his newspaper.

"After dinner," his mother repeated with a nervous smile. Even though Kris hadn't told her his plans, her motherly instincts must've sensed a red flag.

"Alright, so be it," his father said with a half smile.

"How was your day?" Kris began the trivial dinner-time discussion that he deemed absolutely necessary seeing as they had the same kind of discussions every night while enjoying his mother's cooking. Only small details would differ, making each night slightly different than the last. Sometimes his father had a good day and talked about every good point that happened to him. Sometimes he had bad days and complained about every bad point of his day. Either way, the conversations usually carried until all three finished their meal. Kris's mother picked up their dishes and both thanked her for the meal. Now the part Kris had been dreading...

"So uh Kris, what was that thing you needed to talk to me about?" His father asked behind the newspaper he picked up as soon as he finished eating.

"I uh... it's really important," Kris said softly. His mother looked at him with sorrowful eyes begging him to keep quiet.

"I'm listening," he put down the paper.

"Uh..."

"Just say it already." He started sounding a bit irritated already.

"There...there is something about me that you don't know. I was uh... born different from everyone else." Kris said nervously. He could feel his heartbeat pounding in his head; he was starting to sweat and had forgotten how he practiced telling the news.

"And?" Mr.Fan was growing more displeased as the seconds ticked by. He wasn't a patient person and only liked to talk to people when they were direct with him.

"And I'm a Titan" he blurted out. His mom's eyes widened and her head quickly whipped around to examine her husband's expression.

"Pft. Oh you are? Haha, then I must be God huh?" He joked. His father didn't believe him.

"Dad, I'm serious." Kris furrowed his brow.

"I'm sure you are son." He laughed again and picked up his paper.

"I'M SERIOUS!" Kris slammed the paper down on the table and intensely stared into his father's eyes. Mr. Fan was taken aback but after studying his son's expression carefully, his face grew stern. Kris backed away and waited for the information to settle for a moment before adding:

"I'm the Titan of Flight," and slightly ed his shirt to show the tattoo on his chest.

"Dad, I wanted to tell you earlier, I really did! I... I didn't want you to disown me because I know you hate titans with your entire being and you taught me to hate my own kind. Believe me dad, I'm on your side. I don't use my powers and I don't plan on using them ever. Humans shouldn't have this kind of power! It can only cause bad things like the Titan War happen..."

"Is this some kind of sick joke?" Kris's father hissed after a moment of silence.

"I'm serious dad. I didn't want to be--"

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" he got up quickly and placed the chair between them.

"Dad..." Kris said weakly.

"Did you know about this?!" Mr. Fan yelled across the room to his wife.

"Of course I knew. If you were home more often you probably would've known this earlier" she tried to say calmly, but the tremble in her voice was too noticeable.

"SHUT UP!" He yelled back.

"Dad!" Kris repeated loudly.

"I don't want to live with this monster. Get out!"

"That monster is your only son! You've loved him all this time, how can you just deny him like this" His mom firmly said.

"He is a monster, just like all the rest of them!'

"Dad, I'm not a monster! I've been on your side since the very beginning."

     Mr. Fan stopped for a moment as if trying to process everything. He just looked down at the floor with a blank stare. Suddenly his head flicked up and a few tears streamed down his aged face.

"Kris..." he began, "You're my son and I love you more than anything in this world. But you know my feelings. They...they killed my family in front of my eyes as if they meant nothing. Just...give me time to think. Please son," he begged.

    Kris smiled and realized tears had been forming in his eyes as well. His mother was bawling in the corner and embracing her husband in a thankful hug. The two headed upstairs to their shared bedroom and left Kris alone in the kitchen. After storing the leftover food and doing the dishes, Kris headed upstairs to brush his teeth and turn in for the night. His eyes closed and he quickly drifted to dream land with peaceful thoughts of his father finally accepting him.