The Battles Begin

Titans

Sunlight beamed through the window blinds, awaking the cuddling couple.

“Tao, we’d better get up.” Kris lightly shook the other.

“Ugh, is it morning already?” they heard a voice say. Both of them looked at each other, since the voice wasn’t one of theirs. Cautiously, Kris stood up and peered over the top bunk.

“Yo.” Kai smiled.

“Get out,” Kris growled.

“What are you doing here?” Tao asked.

“My bed broke,” Kai replied simply.

“Get out,” Kris repeated. Tao lightly punched the older.

“How exactly did that happen?”

“I’m not telling.” Kai sat up suddenly, he misjudged the distance and hit his head on the ceiling.

“Well…why are you here?”

“'Cause, I knew you two were the only ones that didn’t use both beds, so I thought it’d be cool if I could just sleep here,” Kai said while exiting the room. Tao and Kris brushed off the issue and quickly got ready to meet everyone in the dining room. Surprisingly, everyone seemed to be in good spirits… except Luhan who was pouting.

“What’s with the long face?” Kris sat next to Luhan and Tao sat on the other side of him.

“I hate all of you,” Luhan pouted.

“What’s wrong?” Tao patted him on the back.

“All of you are gross. You guys are awful at hiding your thoughts. I know what you guys did yesterday. I also know why Baekhyun and Lay are wearing bandanas. And even worse…D.O. and Kai… ugh.” Luhan shook his head. Kris and Tao blushed when they found out they weren’t the only ones getting closer with each other.

“Hey, Kris.” Chanyeol called from across the table, “Sorry about the other day.” He bowed slightly in his seat.

“Don’t worry about it,” Kris waved off the matter.

“I also know that you told him that Chanyeol hit him instead of what everyone agreed upon,” Luhan scolded Tao.

“Guys calm down, breakfast is ready, be sure to eat well.” Suho served everyone.

“Let’s eat,” they all managed to say in uniform English, something Kris had asked for.

Breakfast was waffles and toast with Bacon…and tofu…close enough to an American breakfast. Everyone gobbled down and finished, preparing to leave. A few moments later the dreaded doorbell rang. It was time.

“Guys, before we go out...” Suho stopped everyone, “We stand together, no matter what. Just know you all are so precious to me,” he tried saying without letting his eyes get too moist, but the last part of the sentence became mumbled vowels.

They opened the door and a cold breeze caressed their skin. It must’ve been early spring because snow was melting on the ground. A line of barricades held back a mob of angry pedestrians, whom were all shouting profanities at the group of 12. They went as far as to throw a few snowballs at them when they passed. But the twelve kept strong and kept their eyes ahead, ignoring the foul, hateful words and death threats. They paraded around the large city until they met in the same building as the training area…except it was completely redecorated. Instead of being an enclosed giant gymnasium, it had an open top and resembled the Coliseum.

“Wow, it doesn’t even look like the same place,” D.O. whispered to everyone.

“They started construction on it yesterday while Sehun and I were here,” Kai said from the back of the group.

The group was brought inside the building and led to a small room with a single TV in it. The TV seemed to be airing the news and was filming the outside of the building they were in.

“…I’ve just gotten word that the Titans have reached Coliseum 2, I repeat they have reached Coliseum 2,” the anchor woman shouted at the camera. “The names of today’s fighters will be announced soon, so let’s turn it over to camera 4 on President TOP.” Suddenly, the screen changed to a shot of the president standing at a podium.

“Greetings to everyone. Today is the long awaited day, when we finally get our revenge. Today will be a celebration as we watch these pathetic beings suffer. The list has already been pre-decided by a random ballot. Are you ready?!” TOP spoke and the crowd seated around the stadium cheered wildly.

Everyone’s heart sank as they clung to each other for comfort.

“Be strong everyone.” Suho pulled everyone into a group huddle. Tears fell onto the floor into the middle of the circle they’d made. No one bothered to check whose tears they were, everyone just tried to pray. But what could they pray for? Either way one of them would be killed and the rest of them would have to re-welcome the murderer.

“LUHAN, TITAN OF MIND CONTROL AND LAY, TITAN OF HEALING.”

…Luhan and Lay. Both of them looked at each other with wide eyes while Suho bawled and tried hugging both of them. Every one stood there in shock. Three guards stormed into the room, two them dragging the fighters away and one led the others to an area where they’d watch the fight. Holding hands, they all sat down uncomfortable, staring down into the empty battle field. A cart of weapons was rolled out on each side. After a few moments, two specks appeared on the floor, dressed in skin tight black and red sportswear with a small pin representing their power attached to the left of both Titans' suits. The giant TV’s displayed close ups on the two.

“ARRRREEE YOU READYYYY?” The President shouted into the microphone and the crowd replied with a wild chant.

“FIIIGGGHHHHTTTT.”

Luhan and Lay instinctively rushed to each other… to hug? They embraced and whispered into each other’s ears. After that they both ran back to grab a weapon. Lay chose a thin sword and Luhan chose a bow and arrow. With that, the two cautiously approached each other. Lay dashed at Luhan preparing the sword to attack but Luhan easily predicted his movements.

The arrow stuck him in the stomach.

Lay smiled. “Is that all you’ve got pretty boy?!” he yanked the arrow out and threw it on the ground.

“Shut up and fight me already,” Luhan screamed across the field. Tattoos began covering both of them; they were becoming more monster-like, more like Titans.

Lay dashed onward, ignoring the gash in his abdomen. Luhan shot more arrows but Lay deflected them with his sword. Once in close proximity, Lay jabbed at Luhan but missed slightly every time.

“I thought you said we weren’t going to use our powers,” Lay growled and grabbed the shorter’s collar.

“I don’t have to, you’re too predictable,” Luhan spat at him.

The crowd cheered as they continued combat. The other Titans couldn’t believe how different they were acting, how could they just suppress their friendship like that?  Suho hadn’t stopped bawling and hid his face in his hands. The rest sat in shock.

“B*tch,” Lay cursed when an arrow and landed in his shoulder.

“Come at me, bro,” Luhan taunted. Lay stood for a moment, considering his next move, which would be pointless since Luhan could read his mind anyway. He placed his hand over the wound and it started to close up. When he healed both, Lay kicked up a bunch of dirt, limiting the other’s vision. Suddenly, the dust cleared and Lay stabbed at Luhan, although his judgment was slightly off and he nicked the older’s cheek. Lay froze. Luhan had stabbed him in the chest with his last arrow.

Lay looked down at the extreme amount of blood flowing from his chest and blood started trickling out of his mouth. Luhan, threw the other on the ground and excessively stabbed the body as is slowly grew limp.

Tao gripped Kris’s shirt tightly and everyone tried to hold Suho back from running onto the field.

Luhan wiped the splattered red liquid off his face. The tattoos on his and Lay’s faced slowly faded and Luhan’s eyes widened in shock as if he hadn’t realized what he was doing. Light tears fell off his face and onto the corpse with many wounds in it. He looked up into the crowd, confused.

Suho fought against the group holding him back and jumped into the arena. Guards chased him but he was much faster than them.

“YOU BASTARD. WHAT THE HELL!” The usually calm leader shouted as he quickly approached the murderer.

With all his strength, the water Titan curled his first and punched Luhan square in the face. Luhan looked back up, no longer holding in the tears.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

Suhao leaned down and hugged the limp body.

“Lay?” Suho cuddled him, “That was hard wasn’t it? You’re okay now, it’s okay now. I won’t let him touch you anymore. You’re safe now so don’t worry, okay?”

“Suho…”

“Shut up Luhan, I’m talking to Lay,” he snapped.

“HE'S GONE, SUHO.”

“I KNOW THAT,” Suho shouted back. “I know... just let me say goodbye.”

Luhan stepped back and held the guards off.

Suho turned back to his beloved. “You know, we never told anyone about us. We didn’t tell them about the rings or the house. I wish I would’ve let you say it yesterday at dinner. That’s okay, I can tell them later, so don’t worry about that, okay?” he pushed Lay’s bangs aside. “That looks like it hurt a lot but I know you’re feeling better now. You’re… you’re better off now, right? Just don’t ever forget about me, you’re not allowed to.” He lifted up the golden locket Lay hid under his shirt. Inside was a picture of them together, happily smiling since it was the day they decided to get married. No one else knew about that locket.

“You don’t mind if I hold onto this, do you honey? I’ll keep it safe.” Suho saw Luhan struggling to keep the guards away. “It’s time for me to go, babe. Don’t stay too mad a Luhan, he did what he had to. Just know that you’re the most important person in the entire world… no the entire galaxy. I love you so so sssooo much, Yixing.” Suho placed he final kiss on Lay’s forhead. “Goodbye, my love. Let’s agree to meet in the next life, okay?”