New Lovers

Star Catcher

Jaejoong was now the happiest man alive. Sohee's words had been like magic, making him feel like he could breathe again. He gave her a sweet smile and a kiss on her forehead. "Thank you, Sohee."

Sohee didn't feel well enough to reply after the small kiss, even though it wasn't even on the lips. . .yet.

Jaejoong grabbed her hand and walked with her around the outside of the house. "So, tell me, Sohee,do you have really strong feelings for me?"

"Ye. . ." whispered Sohee.

"Since when?" Jaejoong wanted to know.

She hesitated to answer. ". . .Since. . . a few weeks after I met you. Or days." Or seconds. Sohee thought.

Jaejoong grinned. "For me, it was when I first saw the way you were with Junsu. The friendliness, the sweetness, it was pleasant."

They continued to walk, forgetting all about Junsu's requested soda lying on the kitchen table.

"Why did you refuse me when I asked you the first time?" Jaejoong said, looking at Sohee with deep puzzlement.

Sohee hadn't expected this question to come up. She couldn't think of an easy answer at first. The truth is, I refused him because I didn't want to risk getting caught, but, of course, I can't tell him that. What should I say? Sohee continued to think of something while pretending to be thoughtful of how to answer. After all, Jaejoong would find it weird that Sohee would take such a long time to answer.

"Well," Sohee began. "Um, I. . . I was just. . .afraid to be in love again." Sohee was surprised that it was not a complete lie. She really was a little nervous to be in a relationship after so many years. Her first (and only) boyfriend was Junho, Junsu's brother. Dating again would take some time to get used to. Especially with Jaejoong.

Jaejoong gripped her hand harder, reading her mind. "Don't worry, we'll be fine, Sohee. I have faith in us." He gave her another one of his pretty smiles, which persuaded Sohee into believing it too.

I wonder what Junsu's reaction will be when he finds out about us. Hey, speaking of Junsu. . .

"Oh, shoot!" Sohee gasped in English.

Jaejoong frowned, clueless. " 'Shoot' ?" he repeated. What's that mean?

"I forgot all about Junsu's soda! They probably think that you and I have disappeared!!!" Sohee shouted. She tugged Jaejoong back into the kitchen door.

Everyone was quiet. In fact, Junsu and Yoochun were nowhere in the kitchen.Sohee could hear the TV still sounding on against the walls. It was as if nobody had noticed.

"See?" Jaejoong said. "It's fine. I'm supposed to be in the bathroom pretending to act like I have a stomachache." Jaejoong acted as though he was in pain and clutched his stomach with his hand, closing his eyes tightly and dramatically. Sohee laughed.

She went to the kitchen table to pour the liquid in the soda can into the clean cup she'd been washing earlier.

She suddenly felt Jaejoong's presence right next to her. He leaned into her ear and said, "Do you want to tell them right now?"

Sohee backed away from Jaejoong a little. She wiped the kitchen counter to pretend to have something to do. "W-Well, if you want to. I mean, it's not like they'll be shocked or even amused."

Jaejoong smiled. "Okay. Let's go and tell them then."

Sohee nodded and grabbed the soda glass. They headed back to the living room. Yoochun and Junsu looked up at the same time. They both gave Jaejoong a slightly suspicious stare.

"Why are you two coming back at the same time? And what took you so long, Noona?" Junsu asked, crossing his arms.

Yoochun spoke too. "Yeah, Jaejoong, what a coincidence that you happened to be done poo- I mean, using the restroom at the same time Sohee came back."

Sohee put the cup of soda down near Junsu and Junsu said thanks. Sohee went back to stand next to Jaejoong, making Yoochun and Junsu both very uncomfortable.

Jaejoong took Sohee's nervous hand and raised their linked hands up together. "We're dating now."

Junsu opened his mouth but had nothing to say. Yoochun bulged his eyes out in big shock.

"W-What. . .are you talking about?" Junsu managed to say.

Jaejoong pulled Sohee closer to him. "We're going out."

Yoochun didn't even notice himself clench his fists in anger. "No way, you're kidding, right? Right, Sohee?"

Sohee smiled shyly at Yoochun. "Ani, we're for real. Jaejoong and I are together."

"But, I thought. . .So, you like Jaejoong?" Yoochun asked.

Sohee nodded. "Ye, Yoochun."

"Since when?" Yoochun asked.

Sohee blushed. "For a very, very long time."

"Oh. . ." Yoochun said in a low voice.

Junsu sprang up from his sitting position. He speed-walked over to the new lovers. "I can't believe this."

"What's wrong, Junsu?" Sohee asked with concern.

Junsu shook his head. "Nothing. I. . . I suddenly feel tired. Um, I'm gonna go upstairs to sleep. Please don't come in."

Before Sohee could say anymore, Junsu dashed off. Jaejoong saw the glimpse of a tear on his cheek and felt guilty.

"You know what? I'm going too. The fun is all over, anyways, right?" Yoochun said. He tried to give Jaejoong and Sohee a smile but it became a grimace.

Yoochun left as quickly as Junsu. Sohee hadn't expected such reactions.

"They're just in bad moods today." Jaejoong lied. He patted Sohee's shoulder to comfort her. She nodded and sighed.

Jaejoong stepped away from her. "I should go, too. It's been a long day, and. . .no one seems happy enough to say much. I'll see you tomorrow, Sohee."

When Jaejoong left, Sohee was all alone. Well, she felt all alone, anyways. No noise. No laughing. Nothing except the TV that continued to talk. Why does it feel so gloomy?

Jaejoong punched the wall. A picture fell down and banged on the floor. He felt bad. Really bad. I completely forgot about Junsu's crush on Sohee. I can't believe how careless that was. I'm so selfish. I wanted Sohee for myself and know Junsu is hurting because of me. I hate this. I wish there could be something I could do to make Junsu fine again. I shouldn't have made Sohee announce with me yet. I should've waited longer. This .

Yoochun stared at his teddy bear. It was the first time that he'd stared at it with anger. He didn't want to be angry, but he was. Sohee had been so nice, so friendly, so good to him that he thought that she liked him. I was so wrong. She was in love with Jaejoong the whole time, not me. I made a mistake and now I'm crushing on her. Taking notice of her every movement, every detail, every smile. Without realizing, I had fallen for her, thinking that she liked me back, thinking that I had a chance. How pathetic. But even as he said those words to himself, Yoochun felt a stab of pain, of heartbreak, that Sohee was someone else's love.

Junsu couldn't control the tears. He wasn't crying out loud, afraid that Sohee would hear him. Instead, he cried silently. He had thought that Sohee might've come back to Korea to be with him. Or at least to see him.  Junsu had make a determined goal to win Sohee's heart when she came back. By being nice to her, by being her old, funny friend, by being himself. But it hadn't worked. Jaejoong was the lucky one who had charmed Sohee. Junsu had waited years for Sohee. He'd thought of giving up on her, but when she wrote and told him that she would be back, his feelings had undeniably returned. Now, it was all pointless. Junsu would have to suffer through with watching his own hyung be with his crush.