Sohee's Past

Star Catcher

Joyun sat at the restaurant table, waiting for Sohee to come. She couldn't wait to see her and talk to her! Sohee had been her best friend for so long, it was so sad to see her leave that day. But to understand the end, you've got to know the beginning. Here is how it started. . .

When Sohee and Joyun were in middle school, they became the best of friends. They were the most wonderful pair of friends anyone could imagine. Sohee's mother had been friends with Junsu's mother ever since high school. When they both had children around the same time, they decided to make them friends once they were older. Sohee was born earlier, by a few months. Junsu came soon after, but it wasn't just one baby in his mother's stomach. Junsu had a twin brother. Actually, Junsu was born second. So Junho, Junsu's twin, was technically older.

When Sohee and the twin brothers were eight years old, they began to become friends. They all went to the same elementary school. Their mothers would meet up at the parks to let them play while the grown-ups talked. This friendship became stronger and stronger, however, after graduating from elementary, Sohee went to a separate middle school than the two brothers. This made them lose connection. That was when Sohee met Joyun. They became great friends and even went to the same high school together.

That was how Junho and Junsu reunited with Sohee. They also went to the same high school as Sohee, which made them great friends again.

After some time, Sohee developed feelings for Junho, Junsu's older twin brother in the middle of ninth grade. They remained friends for a while. But Sohee always had girl talk with Joyun.

"Joyun-ah, I have something to tell you."

"Mmm? What is it?" Joyun asked.

"You know how I've been crushing on Junho for a while?" Sohee whispered.

Joyun nodded slightly. "Ye, wae?"

"Well," Sohee said. "I . . . think he likes me, too."

"Mwuh? What makes you think so?" Joyun asked.

Sohee shrugged. "He seems to look at me differently now. Sometimes, I catch him looking at me in class. And he keeps smiling at me when we talk."

"That's nothing." Joyun said quickly. "You can't always form a conclusion just because of a couple little things, Sohee."

". . . I guess you're right, Joyun. I was being too aware of him. It might've just been my imagination."

"It must've been." Joyun replied.

Joyun had felt really guilty to lie to Sohee. Joyun knew that Junho probably had feelings for Sohee. But, Joyun also knew that Junsu liked Sohee. Junsu and Junho had always been great brothers to each other, but Joyun knew that Junsu always had a look of jealousy when Junho was with 'his noona'. The reason why Joyun didn't want Sohee to be with Junho was because she wanted Junsu to be happy. And Joyun wanted Junsu to be happy because . . . she was in love with him.

But within a few months, Junho had confessed to Sohee his true feelings.

"Guess what, Joyun?!"

"Ne, Sohee?" Joyun said. Why does she look so happy? Maybe something happened?

"Well . . ." Sohee said, trailing off. Joyun nodded her head to make her continue. " . . . Junho . . . wants to go out with me!!!" Sohee squealed with delight.

" . . . Mwuh?"

Sohee grinned. "Ne, he wants to go out with me! He said that he's been crushing on me since the beginning of the school year! Omo! I'm so happy!"

"What did you tell him?" Joyun asked.

Sohee blushed. "I said yes."

Joyun's hopes disappeared. Junsu is going to be so sad. Now what? He doesn't even have a chance with her now. Joyun had no idea that Junho would confess to Sohee. Because Sohee was his noona, Joyun thought that Junho wouldn't declare his love, but he did. Now Junsu would be so miserable.

"Joyun? Are you alright?" Sohee asked.

Joyun looked up. "Oh! Ye, I'm just so surprised. And happy. For you. Good for you, Sohee."

Sohee smiled at Joyun. "Gomawo, Joyun! I still can't believe we're dating! Hee-hee!"

When Sohee had told Junsu, Joyun had been there with her. And it was the worst day of her entire life.

"Huh? You . . . and hyung. . . are going out?" Junsu repeated.

Sohee smiled. "Ye! Can you belive it? I had a crush on him at the same time he did! It must be fate, huh? Junsu, don't you think?"

"Uh. . . ne. Of course it is." Junsu replied softly.

"Junsu. . ."Joyun said. He must be in so much pain. He was really in love with her, too.

Junsu faked a smile. "Well, I'm happy for you, noona. I hope that you two will be happy."

Sohee hugged Junsu. "You're so nice, dongsaeng. Thanks!"

The look on Junsu's face that day, Joyun remembered clearly. It was the look of pain, sadness, and loss. Joyun almost couldn't keep herself from comforting him.

 He was Joyun's first love. Sohee was Junsu's first love. And Sohee was happy with Junho, oblivious of Junsu's sadness. Only Joyun paid attnetion to it. But she could never tell him how she felt, or how bad she felt for him. All she could do was watch. Junsu did the same; watch Junho and Sohee be together happily while he stared at them with longing.

It was like that for four years. Almost four years. Before Sohee could graduate with her friends and boyfriend, her family bought airplane tickets to move to America. Specifically, California. There was nothing Sohee could do about it. The Song family wanted to get a new life by moving to a different place. It was the middle of the school year, Sohee's last days in high school, when she heard the news.

"Eomma, what did you say?!"

"We're moving to the States. We're moving to America." her mother stated.

Sohee's heart dropped out of her stomach. "Ani, you're kidding, right? There's no way-"

"Mianhe, Sohee. But I'm not kidding at all. The tickets are set, it'll be in a month. We're just starting to pack up our stuff."

Sohee was filled with alarm. "Ani, I don't want to! When did you guys decide?! How come I have no say?! I don't want to go!"

But Sohee's eomma just gave her a sympathetic smile. "So-So (Sohee's nickname), there's nothing you can do about it. Do you expect to fend for yourself if the rest of us move to California? There's no way that I'll let you do that. Please, Sohee, be reasonable."

It was the worst thing in the world to Sohee. She would have to leave all her friends, her home, her school, her teachers, and . . . her boyfriend. To live in a place she could barely speak at the time. Sohee didn't want to go. She felt torn in between of what she should do. But, what was there to do? She couldn't say no, the whole family was going. And staying. Permanently. There really was nothing to do, but say goodbye. . .

"I really enjoyed our time together, Junho. Really. You are the most wonderful person and the most greatest person that I have ever met. Mianhe, i didn't want to us to be apart like this, but this is reality."

"What are you saying, Sohee?" Junho asked. Why is she saying this stuff?

Sohee looked away. "I really do love you. I do. And, I think it's time to tell you."

"Tell me what?" Junho said. It doesn't sound good.

Sohee finally looked up. Straight into his eyes. "I'm moving. To America."

There was nothing inside of Junho. All he could do was stare back at her sad eyes, shocked. Junho had been meaning to ask Sohee why she was acting so strange lately. She hadn't been her usual happy self. She didn't talk a lot lately. She barely ate, unlike her. (Sohee had an appetite.) She didn't hang out with the group as much. (The group: Junho, Junsu, and Joyun-plus Sohee herself.)

Junho had no idea that this was the reason why Sohee was like this for several weeks. He had figured that she was just depressed about her math test score. Junho had tried to cheer her up, but it didn't work. Because this was the real reason. What was Junho supposed to do? This was news. Bad news. Sohee was going to be away from him.

"Um . . . how long will you be gone?" he asked.

Sohee's eyes looked away again. "I'm going to stay there permanently."

"Mwuh. . .?" Junho couldn't believe it. How could this happen? Why did she have to leave?

"Mianhe." Sohee said again.

"So . . . is this the end?"

Sohee's tears were over-filling her eyes. "Ne, I don't think that we should continue our relationship. I'm never coming back, Junho." 

"Ani, don't say that." he whispered, pulling her into his arms. He didn't want her to go. He just wished that time would stop, so that Sohee would just stay in his arms forever. But time was going by. It was only a week from the move. Sohee had kept the secret until now. She was going to be in America in just a week.

"We'll be able to have a long-distance relationship. I'm sure of it." Junho said, releasing her from the hug and staring at her with seriousness.

Sohee walked a step back from him. "Ani, Junho, I really don't think so. That's why I'm going to end it now. I'm sorry. I must."

"Ani, Sohee-"

Sohee turned her back on Junho. "I have to go tell Junsu and Joyun about this. I haven't told them yet."

"You basically haven't told anyone." Junho said, angry that she hadn't. "This stuff is important. I can't believe that you didn't tell us sooner."

Sohee's heart ached at Junho's anger. She knew it was wrong to have kept it a secret, but she couldn't make herself do it until now.

"Mianhe." she whispered again to Junho. Then she left to tell Junsu and Joyun, who had been studying together in the library.

As Sohee entered the room, Junu immediately stood up. "Noona! Annyeong! What are you doing here?"

Joyun had a look of confusion, too. Usually, Sohee would be with Junho, on a date or something. She studied on separate days from Joyun and Junsu. I wonder what Sohee is up to. Joyun thought.

"I have something to tell you two, so please sit down, Junsu." Sohee said.

Junsu sat back down and Sohee sat at the chair across from the two. She took a deep breath. Joyun and Junsu exchanged glances, wary of Sohee's actions.

"Please speak, noona. You're scaring me." Junsu said. If Sohee hadn't been so sad, she would've laughed at Junsu's tone.

"Ye, I'll speak, then. I . . . I . . ." Sohee trailed off. She couldn't say it with Joyun and Junsu staring at her like that.

"Sohee, say it." Joyun encouraged.

"Ne, noona, please." Junsu agreed.

Sohee stared at her lap. Relax, just tell them. Telling Junho was harder. Just do what you did earlier. She looked back up at her beloved friends. Their memories came back to her. Laughing, joking at the parks, having picnics, eating out at the late-night stands. Taking pictures at picture booths. Celebrating birthdays with big parties. Oh, no. I'm going to cry. Sohee realized. Her eyes were red, her nose felt like it needed a tissue soon. Then tears came out.

Junsu stood up from his chair. "OMO! SO-SO! WHAT'S WRONG?!?!"

Joyun handed Sohee a tissue. "Ye, Sohee, what's going on?! You're acting strange! Did Junho and you have a fight? What's wrong?! Please-"

"I-I'm. . . m-moving." There. I told them.

"MWUH?!" Joyun and Junsu yelled. Good thing there was no one in the library at the time.

"Ye, I . . . I'm g-g-going to A-ameri...ca." Sohee stuttered.

Joyun and Junsu rushed over to stand next to Sohee. They patted her back and comforted her for a while until she finally stopped crying and could speak again.

"My family decided to move to America. So, I'm leaving with them next week." Sohee said.

"MWUH?! Next week?!" Joyun and Junsu said together.

Sohee nodded. "Mianhe. I know I should've told you all sooner, but I couldn't. It was too difficult. I'm sorry."

Joyun hugged her. "It's okay, Sohee. It's alright. You needn't be sorry. We know it's hard. We forgive you."

"Ani! I don't like that Sohee noona is leaving!" Junsu cut in.

Joyun shot him a 'shut-up!' look. He did. Joyun continued to pat Sohee. "Sohee, will you ever come back?"

Sohee shook her head. "Ani, I'm staying there. I don't want to!"

"I know, I know." Joyun said, patting her head. "But . . . what about Junho?"

"I . . . I broke up with him." Sohee answered.

Junsu gasped. "You broke up with hyung?!"

Sohee gave him an apologetic smile. "Ne, mianhe."

Junsu gave her a small smile. "It's alright, noona. I forgive you."

"That's good. Thanks." Sohee said.

Junsu nodded, then spoke. "But I have a request."

"What is it?" Sohee asked, curious.

"You must contact me even when you're in America." Junsu said.

Sohee nodded. "Ye, okay."

Junsu held out his hand. "Let's make that a promise."

Sohee shook his hand. "I promise."

Junsu blushed. Sohee's hand was in his. She gave it a shake and smiled at him. Junsu faked a smile then looked down. She's going away, she'll never come back. Maybe I should . . . tell her how I feel. It'll be my last chance. I'll never see her again.

"Sohee, to tell you the truth . . ."

"Ye?" Sohee said.

Junsu took a deep breath. "I . . ."

Sohee nodded her head. "Mmm-hmm?"

"I . . . I, I. . . I really . . ."

Sohee nodded. "Go on."

" I . . . I really like. . . singing!"

Sohee looked confused. "Eh? Really? Um, good to know, Junsu. Maybe you could be a singer someday?"

Junsu almost facepalmed himself. Pabo! Pabo! I couldn't even tell her! All I did was make myself look stupid! Great! Should I try again?

" I also. . ." he started.

"So-So! I'll treat you to ice cream. To celebrate the fact that you're going to America." Joyun said.

Sohee grinned. "Ah, my wondeful Jo-Jo! Okay!" She turned to Junsu. "Let's go, Junsu! Our last celebration!"

Junsu nodded and followed them. I guess I'll just keep my feelings to myself. She doesn't need to know.

~~~

On the final day, Sohee was weeping the moment she woke up. Junsu, Junho and Joyun went to the airport with them. Sohee received gifts from them all.

"A dress! Aww! It's beautiful, Joyun. Gomawo." Sohee said, sniffing. Joyun had given her a sunny dress that was sky blue with a sunflower pin on the right side. It was perfect for California.

"I'll miss you." Joyun said, hugging her. Joyun was crying too. They parted and it was Junsu's turn.

Junsu blushed. "Noona, you will always be in my heart. Always. Saranghae." He gave her a stuffed teddy bear that had a card and a neckalce around it's neck. The necklace was a heart. Maybe this will make her understand. Junsu thought.

Sohee hugged the teddy bear tightly. "Aww! This is so CUTE!!!!! Thank you, Junsu!" She pecked him on the cheek. "Saranghae too!"

Junsu's eyes widened. "Really?!"

Sohee nodded happily. "Ye, you will always be my wonderful dongsaeng! I'll miss you so, so, SO much!!! Saranghae!"

Junsu sighed in his heart. I guess in the end, Sohee isn't the type to understand. I guess my secret really will be kept to myself. Junsu gave Sohee one last smile and let Junho talk with her.

Junho and Sohee smiled at each other awkwardly. Then Junho handed her his gift. It was a box wrapped in Sohee's favorite color: Orange. Sohee teared it off gently and opened the box. It was a bracelet. An expensive one. It was silver and had a pendant on it with the words 'Love' written on the crystal center.

Sohee didn't really know how to react. She hadn't expected something so beautiful and full of love. So all she could do was give him a smile. He smiled back and noticed that her smile wasn't the usual one. It was the friendship smile. Why is she giving me a friendship smile when I just gave her a bracelet that said 'Love'?

"Gomawo, Junho. Really." Sohee said.

"Uh...ye, you're welcome." He said in a low voice.

"Sohee, it's time to go now." Sohee's eomma called from the car.

"Araso!" Sohee shouted back. Then she turned back to her friends and gave them a sad smile. "Well, I guess this is goodbye."

After some more tears and hugs (an awkward hug with Junho as well) Sohee had to leave. That was the last time she ever saw Junho and Joyun. Today, Joyun would finally see her long-time best friend after so many years.

"Is that you, Joyun?"

Joyun looked up from her menu and saw a girl come up to her.

"Sohee?"