Sad Days

Star Catcher

Jaejoong sat down on his bed and closed his eyes. He tried to shut out all the things that were trying to claim his attention, but it wasn't working. All he could think about was what Sohee had said. Sohee didn't like him. She didn't want him to ever be a part of her love life. That made sense, you can't make someone fall in love with you. I was too persistent. I shouldn't have said anything at all. Then maybe things wouldn't be as awkward.

Jaejoong sighed. I guess some things are meant to be. I guess I should avoid Sohee for a while. I don't want to get in her way.

Jaejoong's phone buzzed, reminding him of the time that Junsu had first told him about Sohee coming to visit. I shouldn't have gone to the airport with him. Then I might not have met Sohee and caused all this burden on her.

He let the phone buzz a while longer until he answered it. "Junsu, what's up?"

Junsu, on the other end, sighed. "Jaejoong, did something happen yesterday? Sohee is unusually silent today."

Jaejoong didn't know how to respond. "Uh. . .well, yesterday. . ."

"Sohee told me that she was talking to you about what kind of cake to make to a friend of yours for a surprise. Is that true?"

Junsu had an unusual way of helping people with their lies. Jaejoong laughed. "Hmm. . .yeah. Hyunjoong's birthday is coming up and I wanted to get him a cake or something."

"Are you talking about Kim Hyunjoong?" Junsu asked.

Jaejoong rolled his eyes, even though Junsu couldn't see it on the phone. "Of course. Who else would I be talking about?"

Junsu responded in embaressment. "Ye, that's right. But do you know why Sohee noona is so upset-looking?"

"Maybe . . .someone's been bothering her." Jaejoong said quietly.

"Really? Who? I'll beat him up!" Junsu declared.

Jaejoong laughed. "Don't worry, Junsu. That person. . . may not mean any harm." Jaejoong definitely didn't want Junsu beating him up.

"Araso, you're right. I'll leave Sohee alone then. Bye!"

Jaejoong ended the call. I'll leave Sohee alone too.

~ ~ ~

Sohee frowned in deep disappointment. She had just visited the Boss, hoping that he would agree to see her new songs. But what he said was this:

"I will not read any of your new songs until you have given me more of a report on what has been going on with your new friends."

Sohee could not believe it. The boss loved it when she gave him a couple of songs to look at. But she knew that he knew that it pleased Sohee to show her songs to the world, where an artist could take her words and sing them out so freely and beautifully. This was the Boss's punishment to her for not giving him enough details. And Sohee hated it. Fine, I'll find out more. Somehow.

Sohee called Junsu's phone number. He picked up instantly. "Noona, is everything okay?"

"Of course! Why not?" Sohee said, confused.

"It's just that. . .you looked really sad this morning." Junsu muttered.

Sohee didn't know what to say. "W-Well, everybody has their sad days."

"I guess." Junsu said, not knowing how to reply.

"Um, do you want to hang out today? I wanna go somewhere fun." Sohee said.

"Sure!" Junsu said, just as Sohee knew he would.

"Great! I'll meet you at the house."

When Sohee arrived, she was a little shocked to see Jaejoong there. Well, and Yoochun, because she hadn't told Junsu to bring them along. But it was alright, as long as Sohee stayed normal. Pretend that nothing happened. Pretend we're still friends. Sohee thought, thinking about Jaejoong.

"It's so nice to see you all today! How are you?" Sohee asked brightly.

"Good. Thanks for asking. You?" Yoochun said.

Sohee nodded as well. "Very well, Yoochun." She took note that Jaejoong had not responded and it broke her heart. Meanwhile, Jaejoong took note that Sohee had replied 'very well', as if she did not care about the issue with Jaejoong. He tried not to be affected.

"Junsu, where did you want to go?" Jaejoong asked.

"Well," Junsu said. "Noona was the one who wanted to go somewhere. Sohee, you decide."

"Huh? Me?" Sohee said. She didn't like choosing; she was the type to go wherever other people wanted to go. "Fine, let's see. Uh. . .how about. . .to Busan."

"Busan?!"

Sohee nodded her head. "Ye, why not? I haven't been there for far too long."

And so the four of them were on a trip to Busan, just as Sohee wanted. Well, sort of what Sohee wanted. She wanted it to not involve Jaejoong, but unfortuneately, it did.

"I can't believe how fast you can get a train ticket when you're rich and famous!" Sohee said, shaking her head in envy.

Yoochun and Junsu laughed. "Noona, don't be so surprised. Money can buy a lot of things." Junsu said.

They were all sitting next to each other on the train. Well, technically, they were sitting across from each other. Junsu and Sohee on one side; Yoochun and Jaejoong on the other. Sohee had the unlucky postition: sitting right across from the person she had just turned down. They both looked out the window, at the view, in complete silence while Yoochun and Junsu had a loud discussion about what to eat when they got there.

"I say we eat some Busan-version kimchi with a bunch of the korean classics!" Yoochun said.

Junsu argued back. "Ha! Ani, the best thing to eat is the sushi! Man, I miss the taste of it! They make it best in Busan!"

Jaejoong sighed and Sohee rolled her eyes. This is going to be a long trip.

They had planned to spend the whole day at Busan, then go back to Seoul that night. That way, they wouldn't have to spend money on hotel fees. Yep, even rich people liked to save at least a little money.

When the train arrived, everybody was happy with glee, wanting to see the rich, fresh atmosphere in Busan. But instead, it was cold. Much colder than Seoul, which was odd.

"Aish! What unlucky weather!" Junsu remarked.

"And I thought coming here would be a blast!" Sohee grumbled.

Yoochun patted her shoulder. "We can still have fun, Sohee. The weather won't be as affective as you think."

Yoochun was right. They went to a street market that was famous for it's delicious foods.

"Noona, try this!" Junsu yelled, shoving a fich cake into Sohee's small mouth. She coughed and coughed.

"Junsu!!" she shouted, her face red from almost choking.

Yoochun helped her hit her back to let the cough subside. Jaejoong stared with jealousy.

"Sorry, noona. I'm just really excited right now." Junsu said.

"You must be." Jaejoong said, staring at junsu in annoyance. Junsu was surprised that Jaejoong was even talking. He had been quiet all day. I'm gonna have a talk with him later. Junsu decided.

After eating themselves full (and forgetting about the argument of where they should eat), the four of them went in a taxi to be driven to look at Busan's famous landmarks.

"Oh, no! I forgot my camera!" Sohee yelled in anger. She pouted with disappointment.

Yoochun took out his phone. "My phone has a pretty good camera. You can use it if you want." he said.

Sohee's eyes lit up. She did a sitting bow. "Gomawo, Yoochun!"

Junsu bit his lip. "Noona, you can use mine. I have an even better camera." He handed her his phone.

"It's not necessary, Junsu. She can use mine." Yoochun said, pushing the phone back at Junsu.

"Ani, Yoochun. It'll be fine for Sohee to use mine. Besides, it takes pictures with very clear colors." Junsu said.

"Junsu, you should use it to take your own pictures if you say it's so great. Let Sohee use mine." Yoochun suggested.

"Noona, listen to me, my camera is absolutely perect for taking pics. Just use mine." Junsu said.

"You know what?" Sohee said, annoyed.

Yoochun and Junsu blinked. "What?"

Sohee smiled at Jaejoong. "Jaejoong, is it alright if I use yours?"

Jaejoong stopped looking out into space. "Huh? I mean. . .uh . . . of course!" He took out his phone and Sohee looked at it. "Jaejoong, I thought you had a camera, too."

"Oh! R-Right. Here." He took out a professional camera from his bag and handed it to Sohee, who smiled happily. "Thanks!" she said. I hope this'll let him know that we shouldn't be ignoring each other. It doesn't feel right.

"No problem." Jaejoong said, but it didn't sound like he meant it.

~ ~ ~

"Wow! The green of this place is so pretty!" Sohee said.

They had arrived at a cliff that could view a bunch of wilderness. The sky had become brighter, too, bringing out the sunshine. Sohee loved it.

She began to take pictures with Jaejoong's camera while Yoochun and Junsu stared in slight annoyance.

"Lucky." Junsu whispered to Jaejoong.

Jaejoong's face had no expression. "Why am I lucky?"

"Sohee would rather take your camera than my phone, which takes even better pictures." Junsu replied.

"Well," Jaejoong said. "I am not as lucky as you think. . ."

That reminded Junsu of Jaejoong's weird behavior. "Hyung, why are you so gloomy today? And Sohee was sad this morning too. Are you sure you don't have something to tell me?"

Jaejoong smiled. "Of course not. This is not your noona's fault. I. . .I'm really tired. That's all. I'm sure that was why Sohee was acting like that too."

Jaejoong walked off to another area hidden beyond the trees while Junsu tried to take in his response. Yoochun, in the other hand, was walking over to Sohee.

"How are the pictures?" He asked.

Sohee looked up from the camera. "Perfect! You should take some, too. Don't just let your eyes remember this memory; let these memories be captured in a picture."

Yoochun sighed, feeling lazy."Alright." He took out his phone and started clicking.

~ ~ ~

Sohee sat in the chair, holding her cup of coffee. They had gone into a cafe nearby to rest. The boys had went in to the restroom while she waited outside.

Sohee looked through her pictures on Jaejoong's camera. She was pleased with how beautiful they looked. She continued to observe them.

Jaejoong came out of the restroom and spotted Sohee. He sat down across from her.

"They look nice."

"Huh?"

"Your pictures." Jaejoong said, pointing.

"Thanks." Sohee said nervously.

She bit her lip. "I. . .uh, have to use the restroom. Excuse me." She put the camera back in her bag and stood up. Her heart raced for no particular reason. Maybe it was because he hadn't talked much to her lately. Then all of a sudden, Sohee tripped and fell down.

"Ow. . ."She muttered.

Jaejoong ran over. "Are you alright?" Sohee nodded.

That was when she noticed that her things from her bag had all fallen out. "Oh, no."

Jaejoong began to help her pick them up. Sohee's heart accelerated. "It's okay, Jaejoong. I'll pick them up myself." But he insisted to help.

Jaejoong's eyes scanned Sohee's content and as he picked up some papers, he became puzzled. "What's this?" he asked, holding up the papers.

Oh, no. My songs. Sohee though in alarm. "Uh. . .those-"

"Hey, these are songs." Jaejoong said with sudden interest. He read them with complete focus.

"Uh, hey, don't. . .don't read them." Sohee whispered.

"Did you write these?" Jaejoong asked.

Sohee nodded. Please don't understand the lyrics, Jaejoong.

When he gripped the papers harder with realization, Sohee knew that he knew.

Jaejoong finished reading and stared into Sohee's eyes, shocked. "Are. . .these love songs. . .about me?"