Telling the Truth

Star Catcher

Junsu sighed. "I wonder what's taking noona so long." He had really wanted to talk with her. But after an hour, Sohee still wasn't back. Junsu looked over at Jaejoong and Yoochun. Both of them looked worried about something.

"Yah," Junsu said. They looked up. "Do you think that maybe Sohee went on a date?"

"ANI!" Jaejoong and Yoochun yelled together.

Junsu blinked. "Eh? Why not?"

Neither of them answered.

Jaejoong: No way. She wouldn't. Not when she hasn't even given me an answer. Sohee's not that type of person. She would tell me before she went to go date some other guy.

Yoochun: Junsu is crazy!!! How could she be dating anyone when the person she loves is me?! Sohee would never do that. She would not deny her feelings for someone and go that someone else. She's probably just chillin' somewhere. I hope.

"Sohee is a busy girl. She won't be spending her time to date some dude." Jaejoong answered.

Yoochun nodded. "Ye, she's probably . . . I dunno. Hanging out with a new friend or shopping, or whatever girls do."

Junsu nodded in relief. "Ye, that must be it. Should I call her? Maybe not, I don't wanna disturb her-"

"Ye, you should call her." Jaejoong and Yoochun said.

Junsu frowned in confusion. Jaejoong cleared his throat. "W-Well, what if someting happened, you know? We've got to make sure she's alright."

"Ye, that's true." Yoochun agreed. They only wanted to know what Sohee was up to.

"Araso, I'll call her then." Junsu said, taking out his phone.

~ ~ ~

Joyun still couldn't believe what she was hearing from Sohee. "So. . .the reason you came back to Korea. . . was to spy on hyung?"

Sohee looked away. "Ye. . . I know how bad that sounds. Trust me, I know. But if I don't, it could mean the end of my job, Joyun!"

Joyun didn't know what to say. She had always supported her best friend. But now. . .Sohee had to betray Junsu, and not just Junsu, so that she could continue writing songs for this company. How horrible.

"Sohee, this is messed up." was all she could say. Sohee nodded in agreement.

"And now, you've also got Jaejoong to deal with." Joyun muttered. Sohee had told her about Jaejoong's confession.

"What do I do, Joyun? I like him; I really do. i want to be with him, but. . .it might be dangerous. What if he finds out? What if he discovers the reason why I'm here?" Sohee asked in desperation.

Joyun sighed. "Sohee, I want the best for you. I really do, but you can't kill two birds with one stone in this situation. You know? And, that's why I really think. . . that there is only one answer you can give him."

Soee knew what that meant. She did. "Araso."

Suddenly, her phone rang. Sohee answered. "Yoboseyo?"

"Noona? Where are you?"

"Oh, Junsu. Hello."

Joyun's heart pounded at the sound of his name.

Sohee frowned. "No, you don't have to pick me up. I'm coming home now. Yep. Ye, ye, okay. Bye."

She ended the call. "Sorry, Joyun. Junsu wants me home now. Can we talk another time?"

Joyun smiled. "Sure, anytime."

And with that, Sohee rushed to a taxi and was gone.

When Sohee got home, she informed the boys about her meeting with an old friend.

"Is it a boy or girl?" Junsu asked with suspicion.

Sohee looked confused. "Uh. . .girl, why?"

"Nothing." Junsu said. He looked relieved. In fact, all of them looked relieved and Sohee wondered why.

Jaejoong was now in a very happy mood (and so were Yoochun and Junsu). He grinned at Sohee. "Well, have you given any thought to what I asked?"

Sohee nodded silently while Junsu and Yoochun stared, puzzled as to what he meant.

Sohee took a deep breath. "Ye, I need to tell you outside. I have my answer."

Jaejoong nodded and they went out the front door. Junsu and Yoochun silently followed.

"Let's go to the park across the street." Jaejoong whispered, knowing that there were 2 stalkers nearby. Sohee agreed and they went.

As they arrived at the park, Sohee noticed all the pretty trees, colorful flowers, and clean benches. This is not a good place to tell him. Sohee thought. It'll be memorable. . . in a bad way.

Jaejoong stared at Sohee, waiting. She looked into his eyes. She could not read any emotions on his face. There was possibly a tinge of hope, but maybe a bit of defeat as well. Maybe he already knows my answer...

"Well," Sohee started. "I took a long time thinking about this, I apologize." She bowed and Jaejoong shook his head. "Ani, it's okay."

Sohee continued. "Although we met not too long ago, I've felt that we are very friendly with one another."

Jaejoong smiled. "I agree."

"And. . .you have been the nicest boy that I've ever met, once I get to know you. You're kind, smart, funny, and a whole bunch of other stuff." Sohee said. "I am really flattered to know that you like me and want to be with me, trust me, I am. But. . ."

Now, Jaejoong's smile had disappeared.

Sohee avoided his eyes. ". . .But I'm sorry. I don't feel the same for you. I don't like you in that way." Sohee lied. "So. . . I think you should find someone else, you know? Find someone who likes you too, a really great girl. You'll be happy-"

"You are a great girl." Jaejoong cut in.

Sohee smiled weakly. "Thanks, but I'm not the right one. I don't like you back. I know that-"

"What are you talking about? You and I are very compatible. We have the same interests, same hobbies, we are-"

"Jaejoong, I'm sorry. But liking the same things doesn't mean you like someone as more than a friend."

Jaejoong bit his lip. "You could just try to date me. Maybe you'll start to develop feelings for me and-"

"Ani, Jaejoong. I don't believe in that stuff. Everyone has their own destiny. And I'm not yours." Sohee stated firmly. "I'm sorry."

Jaejoong didn't say anything. He had no words. Sohee was really against it. Against him. She didn't like him and did not want tolike him in the future either. It was best to give up.

"Araso, alright." Jaejoong said, looking at Sohee, who for some reason looked sad.

"I'll be leaving now." He said, walking away.

Sohee frowned. "W-What?"

He didn't turn around. "Tell Junsu and Yoochun that I have somewhere to go."

"Ye." Sohee whispered in reply. But Jaejoong was already gone.

~ ~ ~

"Noona, what happened?! Where's hyung?" Junsu asked as Sohee came back to the house.

Sohee tried to sound casual. "He has somewhere to go, he's busy."

"What were you two talking about?" Yoochun asked.

"Um, Jaejoong wanted to know if. . . I had the recipe for his friend's birthday cake. He wanted to bake a cake and surprise his friend. So he wanted to talk in secret." Sohee said quickly.

"Really? Who is it?" Yoochun asked.

Sohee shrugged. "I don't know. You two go watch the football game. I'm tired, so I'm going back to my room."

Junsu nodded. "Ye, I'll call you down for dinner later."

Sohee nodded. "Sure, if I don't answer, don't worry. I probably fell asleep. You don't have to tell me."

Junsu nodded and he went with Yoochun to the living room. Sohee ran up the stairs and into her room.

The tears came as fast as lightning. They fell down her cheeks like a waterfall. Sohee sobbed quietly, afraid that they might hear. Her knees trembled and her hands shook as she leaned against the door and slowly sat down onto the floor.

Araso, all right.

Sohee sniffed. Her heart banged against her chest. I knew my answer already. I knew that I would turn him down. So why am I still crying? I can't be selfish. I have to say no, or else he might discover the truth. Then my career will be gone. I can't let love make me foolish. Even if it is Kim Jaejoong. Even if he sounds so sad, like I had slapped him in the face. I feel so bad right now. I just declined the one and only prince that Korea admires the most. I can't belive myself.

Sohee stopped crying after what seemed like hours. She sat down on her desk and stared at a blank sheet of paper. Her song pencil was right next to it. It was her lucky pencil for writing songs. Almost all of the songs she wrote with it would always be a hit. But yesterday, Sohee could not think of anything to write. She had been thinking of how to answer Jaejoong. Her answer was unknown. She didn't how to write about that. And now, she could. It wouldn't be one of those fast, electro, love-filled pieces. It would be one of those sad, tear-filled pieces that broke your heart. Sohee always knew what kind of song she would write before she wrote it. She knew this was going to be a slow and emotional one. She could feel it in her bones.