Caught in a Love Song

Star Catcher

Sohee couldn't look at Jaejoong in the eye. He was still busy gripping the pieces of paper in disbelief. They stood in the room in complete silence while other customers chatted and ate happily.

Jaejoong took a deep breath and moved his eyes to Sohee's. "Did you write these songs?"

Sohee couldn't reply. She just nodded mutely.

Jaejoong couldn't believe it. "You. . .You know how to write songs?"

"Yes, I. . .uh, I do it whenever I have free time. Um, I don't write a lot, though." she lied.

"That's amazing. . .you even have the  music notes on a separate sheet of paper, just like a pro!"

"Hmm." Sohee muttered.

Jaejoong realized that they were going off topic unvoluntarily. "Sohee, you still haven't answered me. . . Are these songs about me?"

"No." Sohee whispered softly. She wouldn't meet his eye.

"Really? Then what's this?" Jaejoong said, planning to quote from her lyrics. "It says 'I regret saying no. I know you're sad that I turned you down. I wish I could turn this around.' "

Sohee couldn't help but blush. "That doesn't prove that it was written about you!"

Jaejoong pouted, upset. Let me find another one. . . he thought. "How about this? 'You're a charming prince, the most beautiful boy. No matter what your hair color is, your appearance makes me fill up with joy.' "

Sohee crossed her arms. "How does that have anything to do with you?"

Jaejoong copied her movement, crossing his arms as well. "Well, I do remember winning an award for Best Appearance during my SM days. First place, too."

Sohee gave him a look and said nothing.

"Also," Jaejoong continued, "In one song, you wrote 'No matter what your hair color is' and how odd is it that I recently dyed my hair black again?"

"Th-That was a coincidence." Sohee objected.

Jaejoong continued to look through her songs for other clues. He knew for sure that these songs were dedicated to him. Everything she described was about him. He was sure of it.

Sohee scanned Jaejoong nervously. Please don't find the biggest hint. Please. There'll be nothing I can say. . .

Jaejooong's breath hitched, all of a sudden. He stopped moving the papers. His hands froze. His eyes locked onto a part of the paper. Sohee knew that he had figured it out.

Jaejoong looked back up again. He pointed his finger down, vertically, on a small part of the song.

Just wishing for your heart.

Already saying goodbye.

Enough of all this dark.

Journey on to another girl

Off you go, don't look back.

Or else I may cry and whirl.

Need you even now.

Goodbye, my perfect one.

 

"It says my name, Sohee." Jaejoong said. "You thought that you could hide it?"

"I don't know what you mean. That also happened to be a coincidence." said Sohee. Her heart was hammering now, tremoring through her, the lie making her feel like she had been cut through with a knife.

"There is no way that my own name was a coincidence, Sohee. Please, just please stop lying. Just tell me the truth." Jaejoong pleaded.

The truth. If I told you the truth, the whole truth, you would not love me anymore. I would not deserve to be loved by the one I betrayed. Sohee clenched her fists silently. He already knew it. He already knew by that song that I was in love with him. Completely. Should I. . . just confirm it, then?

Sohee spoke. "Yes. Yes, Jaejoong. Those songs. . .are all about you."

Jaejoong suddenly had the biggest smile on his face. He couldn't help himself. He gave Sohee a shy grin. "Really?"

"Really." Sohee said. "And I -"

"Ugh!! My stomach can't get any worse, can it?"

They both turned around in time to see Junsu and Yoochun walk out of the restroom together. Junsu was holding his stomach, as if in pain. Yoochun looked ready to barf from disguist.

"Noona, my tummy hurts!" Junsu wailed.

Sohee turned her attention towards Junsu. "W-What happened?"

Yoochun gave a weak smile. "Please don't talk about it, Sohee."

Sohee laughed. "Um, okay."

Junsu leaned in to whisper in her ear. "I made Yoochun wait for me to punish him."

"Punish him?" Sohee repeated.

Junsu nodded. "He's been hanging around you for far too much today, Noona. It sounds fishy."

"I heard that." Yoochun muttered under his breath.

Sohee giggled once more. "Junsu, you're being too protective. Yoochun is fine."

When Sohee tried to give Yoochun an eager look, he pretended to watch the view from the window. Junsu is right on the meat. I can't believe that I'm. . . starting to like Sohee back. Well, it's good that we both like each other. It'll make things easier if I ask her out.

"Let's go now, Junsu." Sohee said. Now that she had finally told Jaejoong, she couldn't predict what would happen.

"Mwuh?! We're going home already?!" Junsu yelled.

Sohee nodded. "Mianhe, dongsaeng. I'm a bit tired. Besides, it's five o'clock now. We can have dinner at your favorite place, Junsu!"

This made Junsu's spirits go up. "Araso! Let's go now! I'm hungry!"

"I thought you had a stomachache?"

Junsu winked. "A small bit of hurt can't make me lose my apetite, So-So. Come on."

After a train ride home and a late dinner at Junsu's favorite sushi restaurant, the four of them went to Junsu's house again for late night TV shows and some of Sohee's home made snacks, including cookies and brownies.

"Noona, can you go get me some soda? It's in the fridge." Junsu said.

Sohee nodded. "Alright, lazy bones."

As she headed towards the kitchen, Jaejoong followed her.

Yoochun and Junsu gave questioning looks. "Where are ya goin'?" Junsu asked.

"Eh. . . to the restroom. I might have what you had earlier."

"You got a stomachache? Oh, that's the worse, hyung." Junsu sympathized.

Yoochun nodded. "Feel better, Hero."

Jaejoong nodded and continued to walk. But not to the bathroom. To the kitchen.

He stopped short from Sohee, who was busy cleaning a cup for the soda. He studied her appearance. She had put her wavy, brown hair in half of a pony-tail, making her look even more elegant. Her sweator was a christmas green, short sleeved and had buttons going down. Her leggings were light green, matching her top perfectly.

Jaejoong walked up to the busy girl and tapped her shoulder, making her jump a little. He laughed as she calmed herself down.

"What do you want?" she asked in a slightly defensive way.

"I want to talk." Jaejoong said slowly.

"I'm busy." Sohee said, turning back to the dishwasher. Jaejoong's hands gripped her shoulders, making her heart jump wildly.

"I really wanna talk." Jaejoong whispered softly in her ear.

Sohee nodded and hoped that he didn't notice her cheeks and ears turning all red.

"Let's talk outside." Jaejoong suggested. They walked out of the screen door that was next to the kitchen.

The air outside was cold because of the night. Sohee could bearly see anything around her. Except Jaejoong, who was the angel in white, standing before her.

"Last time when I asked you out, you turned me down." Jaejoong stated.

"That's correct." Sohee said.

Jaejoong walked closer. "Let's not play anymore  games, 'So-So'."

Sohee didn't want to like the way he said her nickname, but she did. She loved it. She tried to ignore it. "I don't know what you mean."

Jaejoong walked even closer. "You know exactly what I mean. You even wrote a bunch of songs about all this. Don't deny that you like me too."

"I. . .I, uh, um." she looked at Jaejoong's muscular arms and couldn't think.

"If I ask you again, will you go out with me?" he asked gently.

Sohee stared back up at the angel's face. ". . .Let me think about it."

Jaejoong sighed deeply. "You said that last time! It took you weeks to decide. . .and turn me down!!!"

Sohee heard the hurt and sadness in his tone. It hurt her just as much. No, I can't be persuaved to do this. I know I love him, but it's too risky. We could get caught and my secret might be revealed. Or maybe another issue will cause us trouble.

Jaejoong gave Sohee a sad face, reminding her of how silent and unhuman Jaejoong had been when she had said no before. She couldn't stand it. Besides, how could I turn down someone I loved back?

"Okay, Jaejoong. Let's go out then."