FISHY

Will you be my Cinderella?

 

With his eyelids half closed, he tilted his head forward and tugged at the side of her lips. She let out an unreadable small sigh.

A young girl who had been passing by the couple tugged her mother’s sleeve.

Young girl: (Points her finger at Jessica) FISHY!!!

Jessica instantly stood up in shock and turned away from him. She couldn’t believe what had just happened. One second he had her up against a wall, another he blackmailed her into coming here, and now, NOW, he was kissing her. She didn’t know what to think anymore and she needed some time to herself. Before Hyun Joong had time to realize that she was walking away, she pushed her way through the crowd that had formed.

 

DJ: Thanks so much man, I usually wouldn’t bother you on your free day but I couldn’t find anyone else to fill the slot.

Donghae: No, it’s not a problem; really, I was actually kind of bored.

DJ: Ha! You? Bored? It’s rare for you not to have plans.

Donghae: Well I HAD plans.

DJ: (Jokingly) Aw some girl dumped you?

Donghae: (Hangs his head) Yea, kind of.

DJ: I was just kidding! Seriously? What girl would want to dump you?

Donghae: Well she didn’t DUMP me, she just cancelled our date. We’re not even a couple. (Sigh)

DJ: (Reassuringly) Aw man, cheer up; you’ve got the way with the ladies, no need to worry. (Listens to his mike and then turns back to Donghae) You’re up in half an hour; I’ll let you know when they’re ready. Just walk around and try to have some fun. (Pats his back)

Donghae: Alright.

He tugged down his cap and attempted to cover his face as best as possible. Preoccupied, he didn’t notice when he knocked over someone.

 

Jessica had been walking around for a good ten minutes. She had decided that the reason her heart beat fast was because she had been surprised and that was it. But at the same time she couldn’t help but wonder why she didn’t move away from Hyun Joong. Why didn’t I just reject him flat out like I always do? Frustrated she nuzzled into the toy fishy and mumbled “What do I do now!?!” Because she hadn’t been paying attention to where she was walking she walked straight into someone and fell backwards.

 

Donghae: J-jessica ssi? Are you okay?

Jessica: (Looks up and is stunned) O-oppa?

Donghae: What are you doing here?

He offers her his hand which she takes gratefully. As she attempts to stand up she feels pain in her ankle and looks down at her broken sole. Ugh. He had sensed that something was wrong and followed her gaze to her red and swollen foot.

Donghae: Omo! That looks terrible!

Jessica: (Snippy and sarcastic) really? I hadn’t noticed.

She hadn’t meant for it to sound that way, but she feared that her ankle was sprained or worse, broken. Her manager had always warned her about wearing heels and usually she preferred flats but heels gave her the confidence she needed for the audition. Now look where they brought her.

 

Donghae: Here.

He had crouched down, his back facing Jessica.

Jessica: W-what are you doing?

Donghae: Giving you a piggy back ride, co’mon.

Jessica: Ani, I’m okay, really.

Donghae: (Sarcastic) Yea, okay. Looks like I’ll just have to carry you bridal style won’t I?

Jessica: Fine, fine. It’s really not anything though.

She limped over to his back and wrapped her thin arms around his neck. She felt her heart beat match with his as she tilted her head unto his broad shoulders.

Wow, how can someone be so warm and soft at the same time. She smells so nice. I wouldn't mind holding onto her forever, he thought blissfully. 

 

Jessica: Where are you bringing me?

Donghae: To the hospital.

Jessica had remembered that she didn’t even get to tell Hyun Joong that she was leaving and that he didn’t have to wait or look for her. She tried to convince him that she was perfectly fine for several minutes until’ Donghae agreed. He couldn’t leave just yet, he still had to perform, but he didn’t feel safe knowing that his vulnerable Jessica might get hurt in the crowd while waiting for him. Then an idea hit him! He couldn’t help from smiling like a little kid. “I’m a genius.”