Sure About Your Feelings?

Just A Phone Call Away

***Sungmin’s POV***

"Hyung, wake up, everyone is already up but you, Hyukjae and Lin.“

I could feel myself being shaken.

I groaned.

“Can you go away?” I asked

“Hyung!” a whiney voice said.

“Go and wake the others first, Kyuhyun-ah!”

Kyuhyun chuckled.

“But everyone is already awake, hyung!”

I felt my bed sink down as another weight was added.

I opened my eyes only to see Kyu’s face just millimeters away from mine.

I backed away in surprise.

“What are you doing?” I asked irritated.

Kyu grinned.

“Since you won’t wake up, I decided to cuddle with you. Your bed looks inviting.”

I chuckled.

“Go and annoy someone else, I’m up, I’m up!”

Kyu stood up.

“Why are you so tired anyway?” the nosy kid asked.

“I’m just tired. I will go take a shower,” I mumbled and left for the bathroom.

Honestly, I didn’t know what was wrong with me.

I stayed up late last night.

Somehow I couldn’t fall asleep, so I watched TV.

Maybe it was my feelings of guilt over what we had done to Lin and her date that had kept me awake.

It wasn’t a nice thing to do, but still I definitely wanted to stop that date.

Maybe it has been because Kyu and the other members pushed Hyukjae and Lin together at every chance.

Okay, I had to give them, that I myself hadn’t been better, after all it was me who came up with the whole “Eunna” couple thing.

But maybe we had been wrong.

Maybe pushing them together wasn’t the right thing to do.

Heechul had complained about Hyukie’s dumbness when they returned from the restaurant last night.

They told us that Hyukjae said, the two of them weren’t on a date, because they are just friends.

No one believed him, no one but me.

It often happens that you have a slight crush on someone and then realize that there isn’t much behind it but friendship.

Maybe they are only friends, maybe Lin doesn’t see more in Hyukjae, maybe…maybe I just wanted them to be just friends.

I stepped into the shower thinking about a little incident a week ago.

 

***Flashback 1***

I came back after a recording for “Star King” late and I really wanted to relax a bit, so I grabbed my guitar case.

There was hardly anything that made me feel more at ease than playing my guitar.

I pulled my guitar out and groaned.

I totally forgot that one of my strings tore two days ago and I haven’t had the time to buy a new one.

I went to put it away, when I saw a piece of white paper lying in the case.

I grabbed it and started to read.

Annyeong Oppa,
I heard you complaining about your torn string and not having the time to buy a new one.
I hope you don’t mind me doing that little errand for you.
The guy in the shop said these were the best kind of strings.
But you have to exchange the torn one for the new one by yourself. :P
Strings are inside the side pocket of your case.
Lin

I shook my head smiling.

That assistant dongsaeng was being too cute, always helping us without us even really realizing it.

She had been with us for just one week, but did a great job.

I exchanged the strings, noticing she had bought an excellent type, tuned the guitar and played the first happy melody that my mind came up with.

***End of Flashback 1***

 

I felt a little bit uneasy.

Maybe I shouldn’t have stayed up last night to talk to Hyukjae.

Somehow my feelings have been slightly off these last few days.

I shook my head as I remembered last night.

 

***Flashback 2***

I sat on the couch watching TV when the door was opened quietly.

I looked up to the hallway to see a smiling Hyukjae.

“Hyung, you’re still awake?” he asked quite surprised, when he saw me.

“Neh, couldn’t sleep,” I said with a small smile.

“You want me to make some warm milk? It’ll help!” Hyukjae asked concerned.

“Chincha? That would be great,” I replied.

I watched him skip to the kitchen.

It looked almost like dancing.

He must be really happy.

I pretended to watch TV, but Hyukjae whistling happily in the kitchen totally distracted me.

He came back with two steaming mugs of milk and sat down next to me.

I switched off the TV and thankfully took the milk from Hyukjae’s hand.

“Kamsa hamnida, dongsaeng.”

“Gwenchana!”

I took a sip from my milk and sighed comfortably.

“So, I take it your date with Lin was a good one?” I asked not entirely sure if I really wanted to know.

“Neh, hyung, it was fun, but it wasn’t a date, we just hung out.”

I was confused.

“No date?” I asked.

Hyukjae smiled then nodded.

“Neh, if it’s a date the guy has to ask the girl out, bring some flowers, invite her for dinner and do something romantic.”

I smiled.

“Aw, you are quite the romantic, Hyukie-ah,” I said.

That guy has a really pure heart.

“So, what did you guys do?”

Hyukjae grinned.

“I picked Lin up at the restaurant, then we stopped to buy some food at McDonald’s. We went to Han River Park to eat and talk. Afterwards we walked to a playground where Lin wanted to play a game. I totally lost. I’m such a loser. But it was fun. We looked at the stars and then went back. I had to carry her piggyback because I lost the game.”

Hyukjae was totally excited while telling me about their evening and I had to blink a few times after he finished his story.

“Hyukjae-ya, that sounds like a date to me.”

“Anniyo, it wasn’t a real one this time,” he said blushing a bit.

I raised my brows.

“This time?”

He nodded.

“Neh, I want to ask her out for real the next time.”

I wasn’t sure how I felt about his revelation.

It was a weird feeling in my stomach.

“Why?” I asked softly.

Hyukjae smiled dreamily.

“Because she is nice and funny, because she is beautiful and her eyes are enchanting. Because I don’t feel awkward around her. I can be just me and somehow even more than that. That doesn’t make sense, right?”

I had to smile even though I felt a very strange ache in my heart.

This was the first time I heard Hyukjae talk about his feelings so openly.

“You’re in love,” I stated.

He looked at me in surprise.

“Am I?”

I chuckled.

“You wouldn’t want to ask her out or talk about her the way you do, if you weren’t!”

“Anniyo, I’m not in love, it’s a crush, but maybe it will become love.”

I sighed.

“Hyukjae-ya, just make sure you know what’s in your heart first, otherwise you might end up hurting others,” I said.

“Neh, will do!”

I nodded.

Somehow that whole topic made me feel uneasy.

“Don’t let everyone talk you into something that maybe isn’t there.”

Hyukjae looked at me strangely.

“Hyung, are you trying to say, that maybe I feel what I do, because everyone pushes me and Lin together?”

I didn’t know what to think or feel anymore.

I stood up and patted Hyukjae’s shoulder in a friendly way.

“Just don’t let anyone push you.”

“Neh, kamsa hamnida, hyung.”

I nodded and went to my room to fall into an uneasy sleep.

***End of Flashback 2***

 

I turned off the shower.

Honestly, I felt uneasy about what I had said to Hyukjae the other night.

He seemed to be so happy, clearly he had deep feelings for Lin.

What did I do?

I told him not to let himself being pushed into something he maybe didn’t want to, but then again, did I try to talk him out of it?

I shook my head while getting dressed.

Looking at my reflection in the mirror, I didn’t really recognize myself.

What am I doing?

Hyukjae was one of the kindest and purest guys ever.

He did everything for the ones he loves, so why did I say all that stuff?

I sighed.

I really wish for Hyukjae to be happy and find his one true love.

“What are you doing, Lee Sungmin?” I whispered to myself.

Lin was great for Hyukjae.

She was a happy person and it’s always fun to be around her.

She seemed to really understand us and took great care of us.

It was needless to say that she was beautiful, on the in- and outside.

Her blond hair, her blue eyes and her cute face.

Maybe that was the problem.

Me realizing her beauty was a problem.

Just seeing her made me happy.

I felt myself paling.

Did I fall for her, too?

When did that happen?

 

***Flashback 3***

It was one of those normal training and recording days.

I already finished my recordings, and was waiting for the other members to finish.

I had retreated to a silent practice room and pulled my guitar out of its case to play for a while.

Just as I was about to play the fourth song the door was pushed open and shut again.

I looked up to see a panting Lin leaning against the door.

“Lin-ah, gwenchana?”

She looked at me giving me a sign to be silent.

“What’s up?” I asked in a hushed voice.

We could hear someone coming down the hallway getting closer.

“Maybe she is hiding with Sungminnie-hyung!” I could hear someone say.

“Let’s check!”

Lin rolled her eyes and I was amused about what was going on.

The door opened again and she hid behind the open door.

I was surprised to see SHINee’s Key and Taemin walking in.

They both bowed.

“Annyeonghaseyo, hyung, did you see Lin-noona?” Key asked.

I shook my head.

“Anniyo, no one came along this hallway for a while,” I said with a smile.

“Then where did that girl hide? I swear I've never seen someone run that fast,” Taemin said impressed.

I blinked at them.

“Why was she running?”

The two guys chuckled.

“We were eating at the canteen together, but sadly they just had two desserts left. It’s chocolate mousse and we love that one,” Taemin explained.

“But Lin got to them first and bought both and didn’t want to share with us,” Key continued.

Lin was full of surprises.

I didn’t even know that she knew the SHINee hoobaes.

I raised my brows.

“So you chased your noona?”

“Neh!” they both said in unison.

I tried to stifle my laughter.

“You know, that’s not a nice thing to do. Lin-ah is working very hard to be there for your sunbaes. Besides she is a girl. You two should behave more gentlemanly,” I said, faking disappointment.

Key and Taemin looked at each other guiltily.

“Neh, mianhamnida, sunbaenim!” Key said and they both bowed again.

“Go and apologize to Lin, arasseo?” I said friendly.

They nodded and left the studio.

“Sungmin-sunbaenim is so cool, totally manly,” Taemin said to Key in awe while closing the door.

I had to smile about those kids.

Sometimes they seemed to be real adults, dancing and singing like professionals, but deep down they could be really childish.

I looked over at Lin and grinned.

“You are hiding chocolate mousses?”

She winked at me.

“Neh, Wendy told me you had already finished your recordings so I decided to keep you company, if you don’t mind.”

I shook my head.

“Anniyo, come over here,” I said.

She walked over and sat down next to me.

“I have something for you,” she said and pulled one of the chocolate mousses out of her bag.

I blinked a few times.

“For me?” I asked surprised.

“Neh, you like those, right? So I bought one for each of us to have a secret dessert date without the others knowing,” she replied with a wink.

I smiled.

“Secret dessert date? Those are the best!”

She gave me a spoon and took out her own mousse.

I ate a spoonful of my dessert and sighed happily.

I heard Lin giggling.

“What is it?”

Lin shook her head.

“Nothing, it’s just, you really seem to love those. I thought maybe it was just made up for the TV.”

I pinched her cheeks.

“Our cute little fan!” I said teasingly.

She stuck her tongue out at me.

***End of Flashback 3***

 

I remembered that moment very well, because it had been that exact moment that had first made my heart beat faster.

She had been too cute, smiling and eating her dessert happily.

It had been a really sweat gesture of her to bring me the mousse, even fighting for it with the SHINee hoobaes.

I don’t know why, but I started to like her at that moment, more than just a friend.

I really fell for her, because of one stupid chocolate mousse!

There was a knock on the door.

“Hyung, gwenchana? You’ve been in there forever!”

I shook my head.

“Uh, neh, I’ll be out soon, Kyu-ah!” I replied.

“Arasseo!”

I heard him walking away.

What am I supposed to do now?

 

***Kyuhyun’s POV***

Everyone was being weird today.

Maybe because we finally get to play all together without any cameras being around.

Yesungie-hyung was already sitting on the couch, ready to go.

That weirdo decided to bring his turtle along.

He said he wanted to show the turtle the world so they had more to talk about.

Ryeowook has already been in the kitchen when I woke up, preparing big picnic baskets full of food.

He seemed to be totally happy about today, seeing as the quiet and shy guy danced around the kitchen like some bunny on drugs.

I had to stifle my laughter as Shindong was standing next to the kitchen table watching Ryeowook in disbelief.

I’m not entirely sure whether he was watching in disbelief because of the amount of food Ryeowook was preparing or because of the crazy dancing.

Even Sungmin was being really weird.

Normally he was up right after Yesung-hyung, who was usually up first, but today he seemed off.

He didn’t want to wake-up and then he took forever in the bathroom.

Hyukjae hasn’t left his room, yet, so I gathered he was still asleep, tired after his date last night.

I really intended to stay up to wait for him and ask him about the date.

Nosy? Me?

Never!

But honestly I was a bit excited about today, too, so I wanted to be fully awake.

I went to bed right after I gave Hyukjae the call, even without playing the computer before.

So strange thing, but I actually was the first one up besides Ryeowook, who must be in the kitchen for two hours already.

I totally must be included in today’s craziness.

I thought about waking up Hyukjae, but then decided to get Donghae to do it.

I was sure Hyukjae would rather tell Donghae about last night than tell me.

It would be better to eavesdrop at the door while the two of them were talking to get the real information.

Somehow the members always expected me to use their private matters against them on shows, so they no longer told me.

Actually that was really stupid as I would hear about it eventually.

I suspected this was just their payback for annoying the hell out of them.

I left our apartment and took the stairs to reach the other guys floor.

I could hear some noises while standing in front of their door.

As no one opened up after I rung the bell three times I let myself in.

The reason for them to not open the door was obvious as soon as I entered their apartment.

They couldn't hear anything as someone had turned up the volume of the stereo to maximum, Heechul was shouting with everthing he had, Kangin was lying on the floor laughing and somewhere water was running.

Probably Hankyung is taking a shower.

Kibum and Siwon must be on their way to our dorm as they both returned to their own apartments the last night.

I looked around for Leeteuk and Donghae.

“Heechul-hyung, where is our leader-shi and the fishy?”

Heechul turned to look at me.

“WHO CARES, SOMEONE STOLE MY FEATHER BOA!”

I looked over at Kangin, who started to laugh all over again.

Heechul hit the back of his head and I just stood there watching in awe.

I think I've never seen someone hit Kanginie-hyung without any fear of revenge.

And Kangin really didn’t do anything about it, he just laughed harder.

“Uhm, hyung, you don’t need it today,” I said.

“I WANTED TO WEAR IT TODAY!”

I scratched the back of my head.

“Hyung, don’t you think you will draw too much attention with that feather thing, we don’t want to be recognized today,” I tried to reason carefully.

Heechul let himself fall on the couch, crossing his arms in annoyance.

“But it looks pretty!” he complained.

The bathroom door was pulled open.

“You will look pretty without that ugly feather thingy!” Hankyung said.

Heechul narrowed his eyes at him.

“Did you steal it?”

“Neh, I threw it away,” he said calmly and shut the bathroom door again.

“YAH!” Heechul jumped up, knocking on the door like crazy.

Kangin rolled himself around on the floor laughing with tears in his eyes.

I shook my head and walked over to Donghae’s and Leeteuk’s room.

I knocked and Donghae opened the door carefully.

He seemed to be relieved to see me.

“Thank goodness, it’s just you, come in,” he let me in.

I sniggered.

“Afraid of Heechul-hyung?”

He nodded.

I laughed.

“Chicken!”

“Yah, not everyone has a free ticket to annoy the hell out of everyone without anything happening to him in return,” Donghae said with a wink.

I grinned.

It was true, ever since the car accident, the other members couldn’t really get mad at me.

I looked at Teukie-hyung’s bed.

“He is still asleep?” I asked amused.

“Neh, I even let the door open for a while, but all the noises out there didn’t wake him up,” Donghae said rolling with his eyes.

I grinned.

“How about you go wake up Hyukjae and I’ll come up with something to wake up Leeteuk-hyung?”

Donghae raised his brows.

“Come on, let’s go,” I said and left for the apartment door.

Donghae followed me.

Before we left the apartment, I turned around to the still screaming Heechul.

“HEECHULIE-HYUNG!” I shouted.

Heechul turned around.

“Actually Hankyung didn’t throw away your boa,” I said.

“Chincha?” Heechul asked hopefully.

I nodded.

“Neh, Teukie-hyung did it!”

It was frightening watching Heechul’s face turn from angry to furious.

We watched him stomp over to Leeteuk’s room.

The door was thrown open.

“YAH, HYUNG OR NOT, YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO DO THAT!” Heechul screamed.

Then there was a weird noise and afterwards shouts of pain from Leeteuk.

“Let’s go,” I whispered and pushed Donghae out of the door.

“You are evil, you know that, right?” Donghae said amused.

“Neh, but you all still love me!” I replied with a chuckle.

Donghae ruffled my hair.

“Neh!”

 

***Donghae’s POV***

Kyu pushed me towards Hyukjae’s door to wake him up.

That kid definitely was up to something.

I shook my head and knocked on Hyukjae’s door.

There was no answer so I opened the door carefully.

I was surprised to see Hyukjae bright and awake.

He was lying fully dressed on his bed listening to his iPod, starring at the ceiling with a smile.

I grinned.

Obviously last night had been a success.

I know I was against the whole thing with Lin at first, but actually I liked her a lot, she was really nice and funny.

And the best thing was, I had no interest in her as anything but a friend.

Not, that she wasn’t beautiful or a really great girl you could fall in love with, but somehow I just didn’t.

I saw her as a good friend or even a sister.

She was a few months older than me, but somehow I treated her as a dongsaeng, looking out for her and sometimes she was my noona, supporting me.

I knew Hyukjae had feelings for her from the beginning, actually, it’s still the beginning, they just met two weeks ago, but if you meet someone who is right, I guess you just feel it right away.

So, as Lin was like my dongsaeng and Hyukjae was one of my best friends ever since I started as a trainee, it would be very cool for them to be together, especially as this time everyone of the members seemed to like that idea.

I entered Hyukjae’s room and let myself fall onto his bed right next to him.

Hyukjae unplugged his headphones from his ears and looked at me.

“Are we ready to take off?” he asked.

I shook my head.

“Anniyo, our maknae sent me to wake you up.”

Hyukjae chuckled.

“I've been awake ever since Ryeowook started dancing in the kitchen!”

I laughed.

“Neh, I saw that, crazy kid!”

“So, why didn’t Kyu try to wake me by himself? I’m not that scary to wake up.”

“Neh, but I don’t think that’s the problem. You should have seen what he did to Leeteuk this morning!”

“Should I be scared?”

I laughed.

“Definitely!”

“So, why did Kyu send you?” Hyukjae asked.

I nudged him.

“You know, he wants me to find out all the fishy details about last night only to annoy the hell out of me later.”

Hyukjae laughed.

“Maybe I shouldn’t tell you then, I do have to look out for my dongsaeng's happiness!”

I chuckled.

“No, come on, tell me!”

He laughed.

“Wait a second!”

Hyukjae stood up from the bed carefully to not make any noises.

He walked over to the door carefully.

I was confused about what he was doing, but then he suddenly pulled the door open.

I had to laugh as Kyuhyun fell into Hyukjae’s room hitting the ground.

He obviously had been eavesdropping.

“Yah, kid, if you want to know that much, come in and ask, but don’t eavesdrop on your hyungs!” Hyukjae said.

I chuckled.

“Aish, hyung, why are you the only one who always knows when I’m eavesdropping?” Kyuhyun asked rubbing his knees he had fallen on.

Hyukjae laughed.

“Because my hearing seems to be better than the other’s. I heard you coming along the hallway and stopping in front of my door.”

Kyuhyun bowed.

“Mianhae, hyung!” he said with a puppy face.

Hyukjae laughed as did I.

“So, come in and I’ll tell you about my night.”

“Really?” Kyuhyun asked surprised.

“Neh, I’m in a good mood today,” Hyukjae said with a wink.

“The date must have been great then,” I said.

Hyukjae and Kyuhyun both sat down on the bed and Hyukjae told us about his date or “not date”, how he liked to say it.

This guy really had the perfect first date with the woman he likes without even realizing it.

“After Sungmin went to bed, I left for my room, too,” Hyukjae ended his story.

“So Sungmin told you to make sure that your feelings are for real?” Kyuhyun asked, he seemed a bit irritated.

“Neh, and it was a good advice,” Hyukjae said.

I nodded.

“I see where he is coming from.”

“But still…,” Kyuhyun started but then stopped in the middle of the sentence.

“What is it?” I asked confused.

Kyuhyun hesitated but then shook his head.

“Anniyo, nothing!”

Then he smiled at Hyukjae.

“So, hyung, you had great fun last night?”

Hyukjae nodded dreamily.

“What will you do now? Stay away from her until you’re sure about your feelings?” I asked Hyukjae.

He smiled and then shook his head.

“Anniyo, don’t need to do that. I’m already sure about my feelings.”

I looked at him surprised.

“Chincha?”

He nodded, blushing slightly.

“Neh!”

“So, what are you feeling?” leave it to the kid to be blunt.

Hyukjae chuckled.

“I’m in love!”

Kyuhyun and I blinked at each other caught off guard.

“What?” Hyukjae asked chuckling.

“Nothing, hyung, I just didn’t think you would realize it that fast!” Kyuhyun said.

Hyukjae and I both hit the back of Kyuhyun’s head.

“Yah, I’m not that stupid!” Hyukjae said.

“Neh, he isn’t!” I added then turned around to Hyukjae.

“But seriously, how did you realize it that fast?”

Hyukjae narrowed his eyes at me.

I started laughing.

“Mianhae, Hyukie-ah, but you’re normally pretty shy around girls, so how come you aren’t this time?”

Hyukjae rolled with his eyes.

“Actually I gave it a lot of thoughts after Sungmin talked to me."

He was hesitating a moment, thinking about his reasons again, making me even more sure that he was in this for real.

"I thought about Lin and if I really might like her just because you guys thought we would fit, but then I realized, that I already liked her before you guys met her."

Kyuhyun and I blinked at each other, but Hyukjae continued shyly.

"I liked how she took care of me when I was ill. I liked how she was mad at me for worsening my illness. I liked her watching TV with me, complaining about the stupid shows I watched. I like how she gets along with all of you. I love her being funny and feisty."

I watched my best friend talking with that dreamy smile, you can spot whenever someone is in love.

"She is beautiful and I really like her smile, her eyes, her hair, her everything."

"You know, maybe next time you and Donghae-hyung can write and sing a song together for our concert. You are both exactly the same kind of mushy," Kyuhyun giggled.

I pushed the younger guy and stuck out my tongue at him.

Hyukjae didn't seem to mind at all.

Obviously he was being really serious on this matter as he continued talking.

"I thought about how I would feel if she left us again and I got really upset at just the thought. You know, whenever she is around I feel happy and when I can’t see her for a while, because she is off with some of our other members for other functions I can’t wait to see her again. So I gathered that must be love, right?”

Kyuhyun and I watched Hyukjae with a mixture of happiness and other emotions.

After a minute of silence, Hyukjae started to laugh nervously.

“What do you say?”

I smiled at him and patted his shoulders.

“I’m happy for you!”

Kyuhyun nodded.

“Neh, you deserved that. Now you just need to woo her!”

I had to laugh.

“Listen to the maknae, he seems to be a pro!”

Kyuhyun nodded.

“Of course!”

We all started to laugh.