Worry

Not Like The Others


The next day, Seo Ah woke up, feeling guilty. Every second while cooking her breakfast, all she could think about was L. And every moment she ate, she found herself wondering if he was eating and had slept well.  While at L's house, He was hoping she'd eaten and slept better than him. 2 sleepless nights, kept up by their worry for each other.

---------------------
 

When she reached school, she had a sudden urge to look for a certain tall boy, with an nonchalant look graced upon his handsome face (and normally surrounded by girls). She desperately got on her toes and scanned everyone's heads. Soon she was getting swept along by a huge crowd of students! In defeat she joined them and made her way towards the school. She stopped when she noticed a person, leaning against the wall of the school somewhere in the back. Expertly, she stepped out the crowd, a trick she'd learnt in the days when -even she- was a wallflower. Instead of viciously digging her elbows into people and standing on their feet, she managed to calculate the amount of steps with the amount of people and...all the other mathematical junk. She slowly approached the figure and realized they were sleeping. Her heart skipped a beat and she instantly recognized the person... to her horror he looked extremely tired. 
 

Instantly, she dashed off down the hall to the school vending machine, which no one really used since it wasn't filled with fatty foods and chocolates. She bought two cans of coffee and hurried back to where L was.
 

"Wow...even presidents sleep in school..." she whispered to herself as she squatted down next to him and examined his face. Her eyes went over his long, sharp nose and his long eyelashes, imagining his deep brown eyes which were hidden underneath his sleeping eyelids. Her gaze shouted down, she was staring at his plump, y lips-
 

 

"Like what you see?" His voice made her jump and gasp. He'd muttered sleepily, but was awake enough to have a slight smirk on his face. She sighed and rolled her eyes at his amused expression. He watched her carefully as she sat down, cross legged against the wall, next to him. Her movement's were sloppy and tired looking, almost more tired than she usually was, like she'd not slept a wink last night.
 

 

"Yah, Pres. You can't sleep here, what if someone sees you? Go to the Council room and sleep if you have to," she said sternly. He smiled slightly. She sounded harsh but she was being thoughtful, it was at times like this she wished she could say things more nicely. 

 

"Sorry...I was so tired I just-"

His sentence instantly made her feel guilty, a frown was now on her face.

"I did tell you, my aunt could take me home. she has nothing to do in the morning, so she won't be tired!" she exclaimed, with a voice which could be mistaken as an annoyed one, but was her own way of showing she was worried and feeling guilty. He nodded meekly before changing his expression to a bewildered one, eyeing her extended hand which was offering him a can of coffee. He eyed it cautiously, put off by its bitter taste.

 

"It helps, I always drink this when I'm tired," she said, shoving it closer into his face until he accepted. She smiled triumphantly and sat down next to him. It took L a few goes to open the can, but she opened it in one pop! 
'Strength or practice?' he wondered. She took a long gulp of the coffee for a few seconds and exhaled loudly after swallowing. L tried to copy her, but ended up gingerly taking a small sip and wanting to spit it back out.
 

 

"Yah, you better not waste that, L-ssi," she said warningly.

He nodded and held his breath as he finished the coffee in 2 long sips! 

 

"Wow, L-ssi. You look like a person who just downed a glass of alcohol in one shot!" she joked, laughing at his wincing face.

 

"How would you know something like that?" he asked looking at her with wincing eyes, the bitterness still lingering know his tounge.

 

"I work with a bunch of uni students," she replied simply, shrugging as she finished off her coffee.

 

"Why do you work so late? I can't stand being for one day, how can you do it everyday?!" he exclaimed, chucking the empty can as far away as possible. But he was a little thankful to the coffee as he felt so much more awake!
 

 

"For the money," she said nonchalantly, shrugging. He stared at her. "Not in THAT way!" After slight hesitation, she sighed.

 

"I need it for like rent and stuff," she confessed quietly, not meeting his eyes.

 

"What about your parents?"
 

 

"My parents…" She hesitated again, reopening and closing almost a hundred times. Something inside her loosened up and opened a door, containing all her pain and secrets and she let out a sigh. Her eyes traveled down go meet the can of coffee in her hands.

 

"My parents are both divorced, my mother is remarried and has 2 children. My father made it clear he wants nothing to do with us," she muttered. Any other time, she would've killed herself for telling someone of her problems, but with L, it was different. They'd only known each other for a short period of time and weren't very close but still she trusted him. She didn't know what it was, she let the words flow out half heartedly. She almost  wanted him to help her.

 

"You could've stayed with your mother," L said softly. Staring at her sad expression. His heart was hurting listening to her story and a wave of pity washed over him, even though he knew she wouldn't want him to feel sorry for her. 

 

"Yeah, but I don't want to burden them..." she said quietly. He was now desperately searching for her gaze, only seeing the side view and never catching her eyes. She could feel his stare and she tried not to fidget. She blinked back her tears before lifting her head, giving him a peek of her eyes that were swelling with tears. But in an instant, she brightened up and forced a smile.

 

"I like it better this way. No one bossing me around and making me annoyed like all other teenagers. I'm used to it."

L stared at the smiling girl and looked into her eyes, which told a different story from her smile. Before he could say anything, the bell rang immediately and she got up hurriedly.
 

 

"Bye,  L-ssi!" she said cheerily as she walked away. But L saw tears b her eyes, ones-he knew-she'd never let fall unless she was alone.


 ----------------

The-now- emotional girl, Seo Ah walked slowly through hallways, constantly thinking about her conversation with L. She sighed and puffed out her cheeks as she looked up at the sky.
 

 

"Why did I tell him?!" she exclaimed, mentally scolding herself endlessly whilst furiously wiping away tears, but kept it quiet just in case someone saw. Here was the regret kicking in, even if she didn't completely hate her decision.

Suddenly, a certain happy, bouncing 'monkey' popped out of nowhere.

 

"Seo Ah, aunty Victoria told me that the president sent you home! Not fair!" Jeongmin cried.
 

"Jeongmin ah, why aren't you in class?" she asked, ignoring his weird words.

 

"When I get a car, I'll drive you home every night!"  he declared, looking  thoughtful, not ignoring her on purpose.

 

"Then you'll be just as tired as me!" she warned, a smile lighting up her face as she felt all her sadness draining from her after meeting him.

 

"I'll share your pain, maybe you'll feel less burdened if I take some of the work from you," he said. She was still quiet emotional and looked up at him with swelling eyes and heart. Suddenly feeling a surge of affection cross her, she flung herself into his ams, wrapping them tightly around his waist. He was quite taken aback that she had ACTUALLY done that, but he hugged back instantly, enjoying the smell and feeling of her. He smiled slightly, feeling the warmth from him radiating into her cold heart. They both let small smiles creep onto their faces as they were engulfed in each others warmth and smell.

The hug lasted for 10 seconds before she gasped and regained her composure, pulling away abruptly. She stood next to him, who looked surprise, awkwardly and cleared .

 

"Sorry..." she mumbled before turning abruptly and walking back down the halls like nothing happened. Her head was looking at the ground, a deep flush gracing her cheeks.
 

 

"It's OK, it's not like I didn't enjoy it," he said, smiling to himself as he watched her, before reluctantly walking the other direction. But as soon as Seo Ah was out of sight, he started skipping and humming joyfully to himself, a huge smile plastered on his face.