Another Puzzle

Not Like The Others

~2 weeks later~

In the evening after drama club, Seo Ah -as per usual- was going to work with Jeongmin. They were messing around as they walked-also as per usual. L was walking out the gates when he spotted them out the corner of his eyes. Jeongmin was jumping around her and Seo Ah was trying to get him to calm, but ended up laughing hardly as he fell over and landed in a bush! She extended her hand and pulled his effortlessly up with one hand. L scoffed at them and ignored them.
'A girl as strong as a man and a monkey-like boy. What a great match...' he thought as he flipped a page of the Pupil Councils Funds book. Then, he heard two familiar voices. Sungjong came up to them with Hwayoung and they started to play around, too!

 

"Seo Ah-ssi, thank you for tutoring our Sungjong. He's gotten so much starter!" Hwayoung said, ruffling her best friends hair.

 

"Gwenchana, unnie."

 

"Yah, don't mess up my hair!" Sungjong whined.  

'Hmmm...was that her fake personality just then?' He thought to himself as Sungjong and Hwayoung  left in the oppisite direction. The more he listened in on Seo Ah's conversations, the more interested he became. He couldn't tell the differences of when she was faking and when she was being herself. There are major contrasting bits, but the smiles and her kindness...surely she couldn't fake that ALL the time, right? 

But L then has a sudden whim. He wants to eat at a cafe. Not just any cafe.

`````
L entered the cafe and smiked at the greetings from all the female customers and staff. The cafe was big and spacious but its theme was 'cute'. With the colours pink and green and baby blue splashed everywhere, L felt a little annoyed he never liked cute things.
'I wonder how she can stand it?'

-----------

 

"Yah! Zelo! " shouted a familiar voice. 

'What's she doing? In front of all her customers! Isn't she trying to hide her personality?!' An ahjumma on the table next to L saw his surprised face . 

 

"Don't worry, boy. It's always like this here. Seo Ah doesn't know it, but she's the main attraction. She and Zelo are so much fun to watch!" she said, laughing heartily.

 

"You don't mind, ajumma?" he asked, clearly shocked that she didn't care about how she came off to other people. 

 

"Of course not. There should be more girls like Seo Ah. There're so cute and defenseless. In my days, I beat up all of the male population in my school and they all fell in love with me." 
'A guy you beat up, falls in love with you?' 

He didn't completely disagree either, seeing as he didn't like cute and defenseless girls either, there were so many around that girls like Seo Ah seemed like one in a million.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Seo Ah and a tall, blonde boy with her.

 

"Yah, Zelo! Stop following me," she scolded, looking up at him fiercely and punching his arm. 

'As soon as her boytoy leaves, another one comes along?!'

 

"You told me to work." She gave him a confused look but carried on working, slightly confused as to how following her around could be labeled as work. L laughed at her silently and raised his hand and called her over, 

 

"Waitress!"

Seo Ah obediently came over, but she was so absorbed in her conversation with Zelo, she didn't notice who had called her over.
 

"Neh, can I take your ord-" Seo Ah stopped abruptly when she recognised the smirking person. "L-SSI?!" she exclaimed.

 

"Ooh, are you cheating on me, Co-manager?" Zelo asked, pretending to look hurt.

 

"I'll have tea. And I'm not her boyfriend, " L said in amusement, eyeing Seo Ah's clearly annoyed expression. 

 

"Yeah, YOU'RE not either, Zelo," she said pushing him away as he took a step towards her. Zelo laughed it off, gripping her hand and wincing in pain as she dug her nails in. She turned away from him when he let go and faced L, Zelo didn't leave though. 

 

"Why are you here?" she asked curiously but a harsh tone in her voice. 

 

"To stalk you," he answered immediately.  

 

"Chincha... I've been in high school for almost 2 months, I'm already being stalked," she muttered. Without looking back, she walked back into he kitchen .
---------

After Seo Ahs shift was over, she washed her hands and changed out of her work clothes and back into her uniform.
 

"ZELO!" came a piercing scream. Victoria heard her nieces voices and rushed to the changing rooms. A bruised Zelo walked out the changing rooms, muttering about 'wanting to help her'. Victoria sighed at Zelo's stupidity and told him he deserved the kick up his...yeah. 

 

"Gwenchana, Seo Ah?" she asked as her tired niece walked out, a flaming aura of anger around her. 

 

"Neh, Zelo is so stupid..." she muttered as she put her coat on. Seo Ah walked through the kitchen into the main cafe and froze in her footsteps. There, with an empty cup of tea, sat L, the president, smirking at her.

 

"You're STILL here L-ssi? This isn't a 24 hour cafe!" she exclaimed, turning a chair over and hanging it on the table.

 

"I was waiting for you to finish," he said shrugging. 

 

"Why?" she asked, making him get up and turning his chair over like the rest. Once she was finished, she looked up at L and waited for his answer.

 

"I'm driving you home," he said, grabbing her wrist and dragging her towards the door. 

 

"Mwo?! But-"

 

"Bye, Victoria-ssi!" he called as he grabbed Seo ah's bag.

 

"Bye! Have fun," came a fluttery reply. And with that,  L dragged Seo Ah back to his car.
--------
 

'Stupid aunt, shes always been a er for younger boys...' 
 

 

"Yah, Seo Ah-ssi, you didn't have to resist so much, people were looking! They must've thought I was kidnapping you," L said casually, getting into the car.

 

"But my aunt can send me back!" she exclaimed.

 

"Too bad, I've already told her I'm taking you back" he shot back with amusement. "And since I'm Student Council President AND your sunbae,  I feel somewhat responsible..."
'Plus, I want to know more about you...' 

She sighed to herself.
'I hate being indebted to people...' She thought more and more about how she could make this up to him and soon got lost in her own little world. She was suddenly brought back to reality by a pair of dark brown eyes so close to hers. Her breathing hitched for a slight second and she became confused by their closeness. They were only an inch apart and it was slowly being closed as he leaned in and-
 

*click*

Seo Ah almost jumped at the sound. L immediately went back into his upright position and cleaned his throat. It was then, Seo Ah realised she'd been staring. No blinks involved. And she let out the breath shed been holding unconsciously.

 

"Calm down. I was just doing your seatbelt," he said casually.  

 

"Then let me do it myself!" she yelled, a result to getting embarrassed and flustered. He smirked to himself as he started the engine.

She clutched her heart and breathed in and out to slow down the fast pace it was going. Biting her lip, she remembered how weird it felt to be so close to another guy besides Jeongmin. 

 

"Y'know there's a problem, Seo ah-ssi," he said suddenly.

 

"What?" she asked with a jolt as she had just been knocked out her train of thought.

 

"I don't know where you live."
--------
 

"First I thought you were dating Jeongmin, then I  suspected that you and Sungjong liked each other,  then in the cafe,  I see ANOTHER guy?!" L exclaimed, turning his head so he could see her and make eye contact.

 

"Jeongmin's my best friend, Sungjong is my…student and I don't see why you would even think me and Zelo would…urgh! YAH, PRES! EYES ON THE ROAD!" she yelled. He laughed and kept pestering her about the amount of boys she 'plays' with and she kept yelling at him mercilessly, causing him to enjoy teasing her and do it even more? 

 

"Hmmm….I just thought-"

 

"What about you and Suzy?" she asked suddenly, both of them suddenly being engulfed in an awkward mood. He hesitated a little before answering.
 

"Just messing around with her, it's fun and she understands."

He had no feelings for Suzy, unlike her. The only reasons he acted so close to her was because they were friends even before he came to this school. He didn't have a lot of friends before apart from Suzy and he always strived to be more nice to her. It was the same with Seo Ah, she had so many things to thank him for and wanted to pay him back, but she didn't know exactly how to do that yet. 

 

"Same with me." 

-----------
There was an awkward silence as L was focused on driving and Seo Ah was busy...looking out the window. L sighed dramatically, making her turn around and see him rake his hand through his soft, black hair, she stared for a while before shouting,

 

"YAH, BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL!" He smirked when he realized he was on a perfectly straight road. He looked at her daringly, making her shake her head vigorously. He smirked again and lifted both his hands off the wheel and waved them around like crazy!

 

"YAH!" she screamed. He smiled thankfully, the awkwardness was finally over. Next to him, Seo Ah let out a sigh of relief too, but carried on yelling at home all the way home.

It was strange how you could act so close with a person you'd only know for a short time and only talked to a few times. Even when they'd talked for the first time, she'd threatened him then acted like her real self. 

'If I hadn't seen her that night...I'd never have had his much fun.' 
----------
The car stopped outside her apartment complex. L gaped it and searched for any type of explanation from Seo Ah, but she calmly gets out the car and thanks him.

It was old and run down, the lights were dim and the whole complex looked as if it would fall down any second. 

 

"I can't tell you anything. I'm sorry," she says before leaving. He stayed outside until her silhouette disappeared into the haunting building and he stared in horror. He'd followed her after work, gotten a glimpse of her true character and life outside school, but this...was a whole different story...

A/N- A long and boring chapter. Sorry :( but it shows she has more mysteries to unlock, rihgt? OR did I just wait my waste?