Tutoring and Studying

Not Like The Others

L walked casually around the school halls and fields, examining and making sure everything and everyone was in their place. It was the hour before lessons properly started and he wanted to make sure no one was causing chaos. It was troublesome but someone had to do the job. And unfortunately who else would be more suitable to do it than the student body president? 

Suddenly a loud laughter bursts through the silent and calm halls, making him quickly turn around. On the lawn, sitting at a picnic bench was Seo Ah…talking to Sungjong and laughing. It was as if L had just gotten electric shocked, he jolted when he saw them. His eyes narrowed and he felt crept out at the thought of Sungjong even TALKING to a first year, let alone laughing with one.

Then he saw textbooks and copies scattered in front of them. 

'Ah, she's tutoring him.'

Sungjong seemed to scoot just that little bit closer, that made it seem like they were extremely close.

 

"I think I need more study time, how about tutoring me at my house?" he asked jokingly, staring into her deep blue eyes and resting his head cutely in his hands. 

 

"I don't think so, I'm always busy," she said, lightly smacking his hand with a pencil. It wasn't exactly a lie, she WAS always busy after school.

L watched from the school building as they carried on their 'studying', which consisted of him staring at her as she explained the question over and over again and them cracking jokes occasionally. Before L could process what was happening, his legs started to move towards them.

 

'Just go with the flow…' he thought as he no longer had anything to occupy him. 

 

"I didn't know you were so dumb that you needed a tutor Sungjong. And a first year at that," L said in amusement as he walked towards them. Seo Ah's head snapped up to look at him. 

 

"She's the smartest girl out of the first and second years girls, L. Don't be rude," Sungjong said, not looking away from Seo Ah, who was looking at L and didn't notice. L laughed inwardly at him for acting like a love-struck fool.

 

"Hwayoung's smart, too," L said, earning a glare from Sungjong and Seo Ah's eyes glinted with interest. Hwayoung was Sungjong's best friend and everyone thinks they have extreme chemistry together. 

"Well, our second year girls are dumb and you desperately wanted a girl tutor," he said, pretending like he never mentioned Hwayoung and Seo Ah's eyes narrowed at his comment on girls being dumb.

Ok that's not what he said, but she still got annoyed. 

 

"Don't underestimate people, especially me," she snapped, letting her guard down for a split second.

Sungjong looked at her suddenly, surprised by the angry tone of her voice. She quickly flashed a friendly smile at him and his surprised expression melted away into a small smile as he returned his attention to the books. 

'Probably bending his head so she doesn't see his blush…' L thought, smirking. 

'Damn, I almost gave myself away' she thought, puffing out her cheeks in relief.

 Sungjong's head popped up again to ask about a question, but when he saw her puffing out her cheeks cutely, he immediately went back to the books, grinning stupidly to himself.  

'Is Sungjong smiling because of a FIRST YEAR?!' L thought, trying not to look surprised on the outside. 'If only he knew her real personality, like I do...'

 

"Hwayoung's gonna kill you," he chimed while he walked away.

 

--------

 

Later, L was- once again- patrolling the school, looking out for trouble makers during break. He was beginning to grow suspicious because he hadn't seen any today.

'Ditching?'

He walked past classroom 1-1 and saw it was empty and nodded in satisfaction and took one step away, until he saw a girl hunched over her desk out of the corner of his eye. He instantly went into the room and saw Seo Ah. A smile crept on his face as he saw studying in her dimly lit classroom, hunched over her textbooks and studying with a 'fighting aura' around her. Her hand was probably writing at 100 mph!

L leaned against the door, a small, amused smile playing on his lips as he watched her studying, like it would be the end of the world if she didn't, her hand was probably aching from writing answers down so furiously fast.

 

"Yah, what do you want?" she asked, not looking up. He jumped slightly in surprise, wondering how she knew he was there witout even looking up. He  clearing his throat as he regained his composure.

'How did she even know i was here?'

 

"It's break, go play with your friends."

 

"I can't, I have a test Biology test coming up," she said without missing a beat, as if she was expecting he would say that. 

'What am I? A kid?' she thought with a scoff.

 

"So the tutor needs tutoring?" he asked, raising his eyebrows in interest. Seo Ah sat up straighter in her seat and shot him a glare, obviously annoyed he'd even implied something along the lines of her being stupid. But then again, she reads into things to much.

 

"No, it's called revision. If I want a high roll number, then I need to study too."

He chuckled at her determined voice and rolled his eyes. 

 

"Aren't you already no. 2 on the roll board?"

 

"Yes, but you're beating me, so I need to beat you, L-ssi," she said, looking up at him and smiling darkly. 

 

"Is that a challenge?" he asked, once again raising his eyebrows.

 

"Of course," she replied, smirking. Her sudden proposal made him chuckle.

 

"Arasso, for the finals. If you don't get higher than me, I can make you my servant for 1 week."

 

"Neh, and if I do beat you, you have to…"

There was a pause as she thought of a punishment, it looked like she was having more trouble thinking of that than studying vigorously. "I'll think of it later," she finally decided, sighing as she returned her attention to her books.

 

"Later?" 

 

"Just go away I need to study," she said, brushing him off and looking back at her papers. L nodded and turned around, but suddenly something occurred to him. He turned around again and faced her confused eyes, already knowing that he wouldn't go away easily.

 

"Why tutor Sungjong when you need to study yourself?"

She hesitated for a second, opening and closing a few times and blinking quickly, before finally deciding on an explanation.

 

"None of your business." L nodded and rolled his eyes as he turned to leave. 

He knew there was a better reason and as a sunbae and the president, he felt like he needed to know. She was secretive and thought this was probably one of the first times he'd talked to her, she didn't hide her cold and sharp personality. He felt a little uncomfortable digging into her personal life like this, it was as if everything had happened too fast...but she just pulling him deeper into the mystery. 

-----------------

 

"Sungjong, please," L said calmly. Sungjong faced him with a sad expression on his face.

 

"But, Seo Ah is such a good teacher…."

 

"But she can't afford to tutor you all the time, I know that." L looked so serious, an expression that Sungjong had never seen on his face. Sungjong's eye contact flew everywhere, from the wall, to the ceiling, to the ground in quick, rapid movements, before finally meeting his eyes.

 

"Arasso."