Showing Gratitude

Not Like The Others

"The drama club have a trip coming up! We're going to watch Romeo and Juliet at the theaters in Jeju Island!" Professor Kim said, clamping her hands together over her heart dramatically. Her voice boomed over the hush falling over the students who stopped whatever they were doing. Everyone started whooping with joy when she mentioned the beautiful island. However, in the rejoicing crowd, there was one student who didn't seem interested, in fact she was reluctant to go.

 

"Eh, when?" Seo Ah said, not as enthusiastically as the others.

 

"It's this weekend. A weekend trip!" Professor Kim announced. Everyone was so excited to go, they were jumping up and down and screaming. GIrls were already planning who they were sharing rooms with and what they'd do in the spare time they'd be given whilst boys were dreaming about how to aproach the certain girl they'd had their eyes set on. But there was one ulterior mottive for so many girls going. To spend a weekend with...L!

 

"Seo Ah, are you going?" Jeongmin asked, surprising her by popping out from no where-as usual. He wanted to wrap his arms around her as he saw her worried expression, but she was still touchy from the 'hug' and he was still smiling because of it too.

 

"Ani, I can't," she said, forcing a smile. Jeongmin smile faltered slightly. She really wanted to go, and even he could see that, but something was in the way, something that was important.

 

"Eh? Wae?!" he asked in a whiny voice. There was a little attention circling them, as people became more interested and curious as to why their school sweetheart wasn't going. 

 

"It's not that I don't want to. I do. But I have work, you know that," she said in a hushed, disappointed voice. Jeongmin nodded slightly, she didn't want to miss work, especially after all her aunt had done for her, he understood. But Jeongmin still had other plans. She was always putting everyone in front of herself, he wanted to let her have fun for a little while.
-------------
 

"Chincha?! Aunty you want me to not come?!" Seo Ah asked in disbelief, her phone held tightly against her ear in excitement. The empty bathroom she was talking in was echoing with her unmistakably excited voice. 

 

"Neh, you need a break. We already have enough workers for the weekend. Enjoy your time off!" Victoria said cheerily before hanging up, but her voice hinted there was another reason, one that was easy to figure out.  

Seo Ah had a smile plastered on her face as she put her phone away. A sudden cancelation in her weekend plans, meaning she could FINALLY get a day off and go on a trip! But she knew ever since she picked up the phone who the real mastermind behind the plan was.

----------
 

"Jeongmin Ah!" Seo Ah said, jogging to walk next to him. In the empty hallway at night the only sounds that could be head were her footsteps running towards him, and perhaps; his beating heart. He turned and smiled at the way she affectionately called him. 

 

"Neh, Seo Ah?"

 

"Gomawo!" she squealed, wanting to fling herself into his arms again, but managed to restrain herself. Instead she stopped in front of him, smiling brightly at him. She didn't realize how close they were, their noses were only a few cms away. He stared into her sparkling eyes and his smiled was s wide, the corners of his lips were almost touching his ears.

 

"What did I do?" he asked, pretending like he didn't know anything, but maybe he was too distracted by their closeness.

 

"Yah, you know what you did," she said, nudging him slightly. He laughed at her and wondered how she'd figured out so quickly.

 

"Was it that obvious?" he asked sheepishly.

 

"Neh..." she said laughing. 

 

"You deserve a break, you work too hard," Jeongmin said, gently and slowly taking his hand and her hair. She exhaled slowly. She liked her personal space but she loved it when he her hair.

 

"Gomawo!" she said,  suddenly feeling a surge of happiness. She wrapped her hands around his waist and squeezed him tightly. "You're the best friend ever! I'm so glad I have you," she said, mumbling into his chest. Jeongmin slowly wrapped his hands around her waist as well, a caring smile gracing his lips.

 

'Is friends all we'll ever be?'  he thought to himself, rocking them side to side gently. He quickly pushed that thought away, burrying his head into the crook of her neck as he tried to make himself content with what they already had. 
---------
 

Suzy was walking casually through the halls when she noticed a familiar figure lurking through the halls. A smile crept onto her face as she rushed towards him.

 

"Yah, Myungsoo ah," she called, a light gigle in her voice. She stopped and sighed as he didn't turn around to greet her. His head was facing the other way, watching something that was happening. She curiously followed his gaze to see go silhouettes hugging tightly in the empty hall. She smiled slightly at the cuteness of the couple when she realized they were her hobaes from the drama club, Jeongmin and Seo Ah. 

 

"I thought you said he was her 'boy toy'," she said cheekily, walking up to him and placing a hand on his shoulder, making him turn around. 

 

"Well,  obviously there more than that," he sighed, digging his hands into his pockets. He ignored her again and turned to stare at them. She puffed out her cheeks. 

'Why is he acting like this?' she thought in irritation. 'It used to be me that he was obsessed with, why do I feel like things are changing? Like someones taking my place in his heart...?'

 

"Myungsoo," she said soothingly, reaching out to touch his arms, but he turned around to face her. She knew that he only did that to avoid her touch, not so he could face her. But why?

 

"Whoa, what's with that attitude?" she joked, laughing it off, trying to ignore the pain in her chest. He laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his neck. They went into a short silence as Suzy thought more and more.

She was somewhat confused as to why he cared so much for Seo Ah. He was always talking to her, about her or looking at her. They seemed friendly enough to be friends and passed the normal 'sunbae, hoobae relationship'. But anyone who knows L would know that he doesn't think highly of dating, be it a hoobae or not. Then why did Suzy feel so jealous when everyone else 'knows' it's nothing?