Work

Not Like The Others

 

Seo Ah walked towards the bus stop, alongside her best friend Jeongmin. There was a completely calm and beautiful aura surrounding them. The happy, beautiful, smart and friendly girl-

"Yah! Jeongmin STOP HUMMING!" she bellowed suddenly, sounding 'uncharacteristically' angry. Her angelic sparkling her eyes turning into a look of deadly anger and the aura suddenly shattered in a matter of seconds. 

 

"Whoa! Calm down, what if someone from school sees us?" he joked. Though she desperately wanted to glare at him and punch him for that 'joke' she kept quiet and simply nodded, taking in deep breaths to calm herself down. "Besides, I'm taking you to work, be thankful," he added with a smug smile. 

 

"I didn't ask you to," she muttered, punching him lightly as a small smile played on her lips, surprising him since she didn't smile a lot when it was just the two of them.

The cute, friendly and playful girl disappeared as soon as she'd gotten far enough away from school. She'd transformed, into her regular self: short tempered, aggressive and an expressionless workaholic. Her smiles became scarce (if the ones she flashed at school weren't already fake) and not a trace of her 'cute' image was left. The real her would never go around doing stupid aegyo like she did at school, and she'd definitely never be all feminine like when she pretended to be all shocked at the sight of blood. She hated girls who did that, but she had her own reasons for being hypocritical. 

 

"Heh, I know that was meant to he a light punch, but it still hurts like hell..." Jeongmin said in a strained voice while wincing in pain and making his presence known again. He knew he shouldn't let her get absorbed into her own thoughts with that serious expression she had on just a moment ago, he knew she might think too much about the topic she that she was worrying over and become depressed. Whenever she was with him, she was a type of ice princess who never showed any emotion, but he knew that was just a poker face and deep inside, she was filled with sadness and unexpressed emotions. She always walked around with a huge burden on her shoulders, even though she didn't show it, but those rare times when she did, it was surely only because the feeling overwhelmed her so much and she was deeply hurting. He never wanted to see her like that.                        

 

"Sorry, a life times worth of karate does that to me..." she said with an expressionless face, but her eyes were weary with guilt and concern, which Jeongmin obviously couldn't ignore. 

 

"Yah, don't apologize..." he muttered, rubbing the back of his neck. "I know your habits. If I was scared to be around you or anything, I'd have run away ages ago..."

The way his voice sounded was soft and caring, causing her to let out a small, thankful smile. 

 

"I'm glad you didn't..." she muttered. She rubbed his arm for him tenderly, all of a sudden, it was like all the pain had disapeared and the only thing he could feel was the gentle fluttering of his heart. He smiled brightly at the rare sight if her genuine smile and...SKINSHIP!  

 

"Anyways, I like it when you're angry!" he joked. 

She abruptly looked up and glared at him. His comment earned him a not-so-light punch. It took all his strength not to collapse and die; that's how strong it was. Luckily, the bus came just in time, to save her from feeling too bad.

 

"Still the same, Seo Ah," he joked. 

 

--------------

 

"Yah! Stop slacking off!" Seo Ah yelled, crossing her arms as she watched all her co-workers get up instantly at her command and start working. It was as if there was a huge fire blazing in the background.

When she wasn't being a super cute schoolgirl or just regular Seo Ah, she was super strict assistant manager of cafe Star.

She'd worked there for 1 year since it was owned by her aunt, the manager, it was almost a 'family business'. But it wasn't connections that got her the high authority position, it was hard work. Every day, after school, she'd get on a bus near her school and go to the neighboring town to work for 6 hours straight until midnight and then her aunt would send her home. She didn't have a day of absence, even if she'd collapsed of exhaustion, she wouldn't leave until she worked for 6 hours and got her paycheck, she'd never do it the easy way. She worked hard and took the money that she deserved. 

As she looked around the kitchen, all the chefs were working quickly and quietly. She let herself smile in satisfaction, but it quickly disappeared. In the corner of her eye, she spotted a certain nonchalant looking blonde boy, sitting causally at a table and flicking through a magazine. 

 

"Zelo-ssi!" she said loudly, but lacked the usual venom in her voice. He was the closest to her age and she became somewhat biased towards him. His head snapped up and he smiled slyly. The look on his face was challenging. He was always challenging her authority and teasing her, just because she was younger than he was.

 

"Yes, co-manager?" he said, raising his eyebrows teasingly. She glared at him and looked around quickly. The chefs were cooking so peacefully, she didn't want to disturb them.

 

"Outside, alleyway, now!" she commanded.

When he didn't move she sighed loudly, grabbing his wrist and dragging him out with her death grip.

She roughly dropped his hand when they were outside. The wind was cold and harsh, just like her glare which was piercing into his very soul, but he acted unfazed. His hand was hanging limply by his side, his wrist still slightly red from her tight grip. 

 

"Wow, co-manager is so impatient," he said, wincing through the pain as he rubbed his sore wrist tenderly, but the glint of challenge was still there. Seo Ah only scoffed, though she did feel slightly guilty for hurting him, she knew there was no point in feeling guilty, since he never learns his lesson.

 

"You've been told twice," she said, ignoring him. "Twice in the past hour that you should stop slacking off otherwise-"

 

"Otherwise you'll fire me?" he challenged, with eyes that were sparking with triumph when he noticed her faltering glare. She quickly regained her composure and her glare was twice as threatening. 

 

"Are you ACTUALLY challenging me, Zelo-ssi?!" Seo Ah exclaimed, steam practically coming out her ears. He smirked as, taking a step closer to her while bent down so they were eye level, mocking her height. 

 

"Maybe I am...And you should be calling me oppa, not Zelo-ssi," he said softly.

'That's it!' she thought, finally losing her cool. She followed his movements as when his hand extended to touch her arm and-

 

"I may be a girl-" she grabbed his wrist as quickly as lightning and twisted it sharply, making him gasp. "-but we BOTH know," in one fluid motion, she flipped him over her shoulder, but made sure it wasn't hard enough to hurt him too badly when he landed. "I'm just as strong-correction-stronger that you," she hissed, looking down at his amused face and narrowing her eyes.

When he should be scared of angering her again and trying to go back inside and follow her orders; he laughed, instead. She sighed and rolled her eyes. 

'He never changes.'

 

"Really the masochoist, huh?" she asked, with such heavy sarcasm even an idiot would have noticed. While rolling her eyes at his unchanging amused expression, she offered her hand and helped him up.

 

"Whoa..." came a voice behind them. Seo Ah was frozen and her blood ran cold, her heart had stopped. Someone was standing in the opening of the alleyway. And they'd seen everything.

Seo Ah quickly spun around.  

'Not a student not a student!' she pleaded in her head. Her eyes met with the wide eyed gaze of-

 

"PRESIDENT?!" she yelled. As quick as lightning, he'd sprinted off in the opposite direction. She was fully set to chase after him when-

 

"Co-manager, the chefs are...doing the conga..." Zelo said suddenly, laughter in his voice as he peeked into the kitchen.

There was imaginary steam coming out of Seo Ah's ears again, she turned slowly yet threateningly and walked through the door while cracking her knuckles, ready to punish them.

L would have to wait. Right now, she had idiots on her hands, who didn't understand that she had more than enough strength to kill all of them.

 

"So THAT'S why they were so well behaved..." she muttered under her breath. Zelo stepped out the way and admired her fiery, angry aura that was surrounding her with an amused smirk.