Love Is All In The Head

Not Like The Others

The tired students of **** High's drama club ambled through the door, all chattering excitedly and swooning over how romantic the play was. Smiles were everywhere and the bright sun made the scene look as if it was a movie. 

There was just one girl, standing by herself, arms crossed and looking more interested in the sea and sky than discussing the hot actors and tragic ending.

'Why are they like that? Everyone knows the ending anyways...' she thought, rolling her eyes as the girls squealed, looking at pictures of the male actor they'd secretly snapped photos of.

One other girl had stopped talking and stared at Seo Ah in curiosity. Her beautiful big eyes narrowed until they were little slits, glaring at the back of Seo Ahs head. Seo Ah started feeling shivers down her spine, as if someone was looking at her but shook it off.

 

"Yah, Han Seo Ah!" Suzy shouted. Seo Ah's head perked up and reluctantly tore her gaze away from the sea to turn around, her beautiful locks blowing in the wind. 

'Yeah, yeah, yeah...just turn around, you don't have to look like a model when you do...' Suzy thought with a scowl. She eyed her up and down and her scowl got even bigger. 'It's a theater can't you dress better? Jeans and a hoodie....hmph!'

Suzy beckoned her closer and she reluctantly came. 

 

"What's with you?..." she muttered. Seo Ah looked up at her with big, innocent eyes; she didn't understand.

Suzy sighed and rolled her eyes.

 

"Wasn't it fun?" she asked, as if she was speaking to a toddler.

 

"Ani, it was fun," Seo Ah replied with a sweet smile and shook her head. Suzy looked surprised, she crossed her arms and looked down at Seo Ah in disbelief.

 

"Please, I saw you yawning your head off inside the theater.." she scoffed. Seo Ah looked down in embarrassment.

 

"I just thought...it's stupid how he'd kill himself for her..." she muttered, fumbling for words. Suzy's lips had been pressed into a thin line as she stared down at the clueless girls head.

 

"Yash, that's called love!" she snapped. Seo Ah looked up abruptly and cocked her head.

 

'Then would Jeongmin kill himself for me?'

 

"I thought girls liked romantic things like that," L said, popping out of nowhere and flinging his arm around Suzy's shoulders, bringing Seo Ah back into reality.

Seo Ah scoffed at the stereotypical way of saying it.

 

"I like realistic things, not made-up fiction like that..." she sighed. Suzy stared at her, shocked at her sudden change in normal character. She quickly realized her mistake and smiled weakly at her. "I mean, people wouldn't do that in the 21st century, right?" 

She breathed a sigh of relief when Suzy started nodding slowly in agreement. L raised his eyebrows at her and cocked his head in interest.

 

"It happens..." he muttered.

 

"But not commonly and even if it did, it's stupid to kill yourself for love."

 

"Not really," he retorted, shrugging. "It's true love." 

 

'This is stupid...Isn't this conversation supposed to be the other way around? Shouldn't L be against the topic of love so deep they'd kill themselves for each other?'

Suzy's narrowed eyes could not have gotten any smaller, she opened to say something until a teacher came up to her and dragged her away.

Seo Ah watched as she walked away, she was about to say something and sighed in relief that she'd left as well as mentally smacking herself for almost letting her guard down. She turned back to look at L, who was already staring at her. She moved back slightly when their eyes met, almost as if he was waiting for her to turn around again. 

'How did he know I was going to turn around again anyways? I should've just walked away, leave him looking like a babo...' 

 

"Do carry on," he said, an amused smile playing on his lips. She looked back at him with confused eyes. "True love, why don't you believe in it."

 

"I didn't say that," she mumbled, wanting to get away from the subject as fast as she could. He raised his eyebrows at her, showing her he was not convinced. 

 

"You still think like that, whether you said it or not," he said, leaning against the wall of the theater and waiting for her to talk. She hesitated slightly, opening and closing it a thousand times before finding her words.

 

"Love like that doesn't exist...I wonder if love is even real..." she muttered. 

 

"Why would you think that?" 

 

"Humans are basically animals, the reason animals are born and mate is to have children, who then have their own children. It's a way of surviving. you don't see animals falling in love, do you? Love could just be a more fancier way of...finding a mate..." As she was finishing her sentence, she got slightly flustered, causing L to chuckle. 

 

"And the heart? When you fall in love, doesn't your heart beat fast and whatnot?" L asked, a challenging glint in his eyes. 

 

"All controlled by the brain. Love is all in the brain, it deceives us so we think we're in love, get married and have children. That's the only way our species can survive." 

Seo Ah didn't hesitate to point out her views and her strong gaze never faltered. 

 

"Pessimistic realist..." he said in a flat tone, but smirked slightly. He was impressed with how much she'd thought about this.

'I wonder what happened to make her think so much and act against the concept of love so much?' 

 

"Nothing lasts, not even love..." Seo Ah muttered under her breath, but he still heard her. His face fell and stared into her cold eyes, trying to find even a little clue as to why she was like this...

'Maybe because of a past love? Or her parents...?'

 

"Don't you even believe that your prince charming is out there?" 

 

"That's only in fairytales, we all know fairytales and happily ever afters don't exist," she shot back. 

 

"The red string of fate...?" 

 

"Please, as if. I don't even understand how that would work," she scoffed.

L racked his brain to think of a more believable excuse. 

 

"Humans used to have 2 heads, 4 arms, and legs as well as 2 hearts. Due to...evouloution, they spilt into 2 people with only 1 heart and head and 2 legs and arms. They're left to find their other half...how about that?" he asked, feeling confident and proud of his theory. His smile grew wider as she stared at the ground in silence, debating in her head about the theory while biting her lip unsurely. Finally, she stopped and looked him in the eye again. 

 

"Evoloution, is the theory where we're supposedly apes, I don't see apes with 2 heads..." she said, a triumphant smile playing on her lips. He sighed in defeat and put all his weight against the wall. 

 

"You're a hard one to crack..." he mutter, running his hands through his hair. "Seo Ah was smiling brightly at her victory, until he said somethign which made her face fall. "Should you really be saying things like that when you have a boyfriend?" 

 

a/n- I'm a realist and I spend too much time thinking of stuff like this like Seo Ah hehehe. Anyways, I cut this in 2 since it's getting long heheh. 

 

New fic: It's All Lies another story from my LUV series! Starring Jong In (Kai) from EXO!