Strangely Right

Believe It
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Sunhee's POV 

 “How far have you two exactly gotten in your relationship?” His mother interrogated. I choked on my spit from the personal question, causing for me to cough loudly and struggling to catch my breath. Thank goodness I wasn't drinking any tea before this or his mom and dad would have definitely gotten a good show.

“Aish.” Yunho lowly muttered and softly patted my back to calm me down. “Mother, I would like it if you didn't ask such personal questions in front of my girlfriend.” I felt a small shiver go down my back from the word. Girlfriend. The word sounds so foreign coming out of his mouth.

“Nonsense.” His mother shot back and glared at her son. “She's going out with my only child so it's only right I know what she's doing with you.”

“Mother, what I do with my girlfriend stays between me and her.” Yunho retorted. By this time, my coughing had already subsided and my breathing was back to normal. I though Yunho would have removed his arm off me by now but I was surprised that he moved it to wrap his arm around my shoulders instead.

 

Yunho's mom ignored his statement and locked her eyes on me. “Our son Yunho here is already 26 years old and he isn't getting any younger and neither are we. We want him to get settled down but all he cares about is work. You couldn't even imagine our shock when he told us that he already had a girlfriend.” She stated in a honeyed voice. “We were just wondering if the two of you have ever discussed marriage yet.” Just like last time, I choked on my own spit and struggle to breathe. Yunho held me tightly against him and lightly pounded on my back to soothe me.

“Mother, please refrain from asking such questions.” Yunho tonelessly requested. “You're making Sunhee nervous.”

“Don't be so protective.” His mom fiercely objected. “It's better to just jump straight to the point than beat around the bushes.”

“It's still far too early to be thinking about marriage, mother.” Yunho calmly retorted but as I looked him in the eyes, I knew he was beyond annoyed with his mother. The two had a stared down and didn't tear their gazes away even with a ringing from the kitchen. “Sounds like dinner is ready.” Yunho pointed out and grabbed a hold of my hand. “We should hurry, we can't stay here all day.”

 

The four of us left the living room and went into the dining room with his parents leading the way. Yunho, who noticed how tense my shoulders were, gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. “Relax.” He whispered into my ear while his parents were preoccupied with something else. “Everything will be fine.” I nodded my head and released a shaky breath. Calm down, everything will be fine. I promised Yunho I would be here for him so I need to get my act together and look like a couple. A couple. I mentally shuddered at the thought of being in a relationship with Yunho. What a strange relationship that would be.

 

The three of us took a seat while Yunho's mom left for a brief moment to check on the food, reappearing with a large plate of salad, “The main course needs a bit of time to cool down but we'll start with an appetizer for now.” She set the plate at the center of the table and had us take turns serving ourselves. Yunho grabbed a napkin and unfolded it before placing it over my lap without a word, he grabbed onto the tongs and piled a generous amount of the salad onto my plate. “Eat and don't be nervous.” He spoke into my ear just low enough for only me to hear. “I'll take care of everything.”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter