Conflict

Married to a Stranger

Next morning you arrived at the coffee shop on time, like how you were instructed to do so. Even though the cold morning temperature made it unbearable to wait for the bus, you still managed to hold it in. The same cashier as yesterday was already preparing for the day. “Good morning.” She cheerfully said, once she saw you enter the shop. “Good morning.” You watched as she put the chairs down from the tables. 

Miss Lee came out from the storage room and was surprised to see you on time. “Good morning Miss Lee.” You said heading over to where she was. “Good morning. Are you ready to work hard today, Jinae?” She set the boxes down on the counter table. “Yes, I’m ready for whatever I have to do today.” She was happy to hear that from you and nodded her head in agreement. Miss Lee led you to the locker room and handed you a uniform. The shirt was a plain white color, with a small logo on one side and some black pants. “You could leave your uniform here or you could take it home. It’s all up to you.” She said before allowing you to change in the bathroom.

You took off your normal clothes and started putting on your uniform, making sure that it fit perfectly. You stared at yourself in the mirror and tried forming a fake smile. On the outside it seemed that everything was okay but in the inside you were a total mess. You knew that at any point you were going to break down again. You took a deep breath and fixed your ribbon necktie.

Once you were done, you went back to find her. She looked at the uniform, making sure that it fit you well. “I see that it fits you well. So today what you will be doing is mopping the floors, restocking the coffee and cups, whipping the tables, and taking orders.” You tried hard to remember everything that she was telling you. “Also, you will be working from seven to five in the evening.” 

“That’s fine with me.” You answered her honestly. Miss Lee thought what else to tell you but she couldn’t remember. You followed her to the storage room and patiently waited for her to tell you how to clean the floors. Once she was done explaining how it was done, she handed you the mop and bucket. You carefully took the bucket full of water outside and started to clean the floor. Your hands burned after a while but you tired hard to ignore the pain. I need to work hard so that I could pay that jerk back. You shook your head when you couldn’t stop think about him and continued doing your work. 

You had to stop what you were doing once the shop started to get full with customers. Miss Lee watched you for a bit making sure that you were doing everything correct, especially when you took orders. After the shop got calmer you went back to restocking the coffee and cups. To your surprise time seemed to be going faster when you were working. At times the shop would get crowded and other time it would be completely empty. When your shift was almost done, you helped whip the tables and wash a bit of plates. Miss Lee noticed how hard working you were and came to thank you before you left. “Thank you for being such a great help today.”

“No, I should be the one thanking you for hiring me.” You bowed down but she quickly stopped you. “No need, I will be seeing you tomorrow at seven don’t be late.” She gave you smile and continued to restock merchandise. You took off the apron and put it back in it’s place. Your feet were killing you and you felt like you were about to collapse any minute. You hold onto the edge of the table and took a deep breathe before going to the lock room to change back to your normal clothes. You neatly folded your uniform, putting it in your locker. You fixed your hair and put your scarf back on.

The same employer that greeted you in the morning entered the room. She looked a year younger than you but she was quite tall for her age. “How was your first day?” She asked you, while she searched inside her locker for something. “To be honest, it was better than what I had expected.” She nodded her head and hummed to herself. “You’ll get used to working here. Oh I didn’t introduce my self I’m Sooyoung.” She extended her hand for a shake and patiently waited. “I hope so and I’m Jinae.” You shook her hand. Sooyoung went back to her locker, “You seem familiar, have we met before?” You unconsciously dropped your bag. She stared at you concerned. You had a feeling that she knew who you were by the recent scandal. Even though you weren’t involved, the tabloid still managed to put pictures of you some where. 

You picked up your bag and gave her a nervous smile. “I don’t think so.” Your voice shook a bit as you tired forming the words. Sooyoung nodded her head, knowing that it was a stupid question to ask. “I’m sorry but I need to hurry. I don’t want to miss the bus. I’ll see you tomorrow.” You quickly left the room anxiously. “See you tomorrow.” She said as you walked by her. *That wasn’t suspicious at all.* You thought to yourself as you walked to the bus stop. You kicked a small rock, hoping that she wouldn’t find out your true identity. *I’ll probably always be remembered as the one who got cheated on by a rich bastard.* Just thinking about it made your stomach turn upside down. “That’s what I get for marrying him as a request.” You murmured to yourself, causing a few people to give you dirty looks.

You stopped at a restaurant to get some food, you weren’t in the mood to make anything. So now you were stuck with carrying bags of food home. The cold weather made your fingers burn as you carried the bags with your bare hands. When you were getting closer to your neighborhood, you stopped and looked around to see if Kris wasn’t there. You didn’t spot any fancy cars around. *Guess he finally gave up.* You felt another sharp pain in your heart. You fixed your scarf and continued to walk home alone.

“Grandpa, I’m home.” You yelled as you took off your shoes and scarf. You threw your bag and coat onto the couch. *Is he not home or is he sleeping already?* You carried the bags to the kitchen, wondering where he could be. “Ugh, you scared me.” You jumped up, almost throwing the bags down. Your grandfather looked up at you with an apologizing look. “Sorry, I was just thinking for a bit. Did you call me?” You placed a hand over your heart and breathed heavily. You set the bags of food on the table and made sure that they were still warm. “Yes, for a second I thought you weren’t home. Don’t ever scare me like that.” Your grandfather looked at what you had bought and then back at you. “How was your first day at work?” 

You sat down and pulled out the dishes from the bag. You thought about it before answering him with a smile on your face. “It was fun, I learned a lot of new things. The manger also liked how I worked and everyone was polite towards me.” Your grandfather stood up to grab some cups and set them on the table. “I’m glad to hear that. You seem better than what you were doing a few days ago.” You stopped what you were doing and looked at the food. “Don’t worry about me, I forgot all about it.” You heard your grandfather take a deep breath and hoped that he bought what you had told him. “I see, I’m terribly sorry about everything.”

You handed him a plate, “Can we please stop talking about this? I’m sorry but I don’t want to hear anymore.” You could feel your stomach turning again. Your grandfather grabbed a plate and thanked you for the food. The both of you ate in silence without saying much. After you were done, you quickly cleaned up. All you want to do was rest for a bit. “I’ll clean up for you.” Your grandfather stopped you. You had a feeling that something wasn’t right. “Is something wrong?” You watched as his face expression changed quickly. He stopped what he was doing and turned his attention towards you. “I saw some reporter around the house today and yesterday. I turned them down before they figured out which one was our house.” You couldn’t believe what he was telling you. You tilt your head to the side and tried absorbing everything quickly. “How did you know they it was a reporter?”

Your grandfather took a seat, “They had huge cameras around their necks and where asking random people around the neighborhood street if they recognized you. Luckily I was around before someone said the truth, so I lied to them.” You made a fist under the table and held your anger back. You looked at your grandfather concerned. “What are we going to do about them?” You watched as your grandfather stood up from his seat and looked inside a jar. He pulled out some keys and placed them next to you. “It’s best if you go live somewhere else for now. Maybe until things quiet down. I don’t want the reports to find out where you live because they will only make things worst.”

You stared at the keys puzzled, “Where did you get the money for me to move somewhere else?” You couldn’t even look at your grandfather properly and without thinking that he got help for Kris’ grandfather again. “A good friend of mine, found out what was going on and set up an apartment for you. He told me that it would be safer if you stayed away from the media.” Your grandfather’s voices sounded worried. “Are you sure that Kris nor his grandfather helped you because I don’t want them to help anymore. That’s why I got this job so that I could pay back the money they lend us.” Your voice rose in anger knowing that Kris’ grandfather might be helping you.

Your grandfather shook his head, “I won’t receive any help from them, even if they begged me. One of my close friends offered to help you because he was worried about your safety.” You interfered when he was talking. “Who is it?” You watched as he shuffled in his sit and straighten up. “You will see soon. Just do what I tell you, I don’t want you to get hurt anymore.” You crossed your arms and continued to focus your attention towards the keys. “Fine, I’ll do what you tell me. I don’t want to worry you anymore.” Your grandfather tried forming a weak smile before leaving the kitchen. 

After a while he came back with a small piece of paper, that had an address written on it. “Starting tomorrow, this is where you will be staying at. When you are done with your job, you will go straight to here. It’s not far from where you work so you will not get lost.” You took the paper in your hand and started to read the address to yourself. The street name sounded unfamiliar each time you reread it. “I already took some of your stuff to where you will be staying at. Don’t worry about coming home and packing your stuff. Everything that you need is already prepared for you, so don’t have to worry about buying food. The place is also guarded so no one could enter without permission.” You nodded your head at what he was telling you. 

When you where done talking with your grandfather you went to your room. You set the piece of paper in your bag, so that you wouldn’t forget it in the morning. “Why does this name sound so unfamiliar each time I read it?” Before you forgot, you placed some of your belonging in your bag. You opened the drawer carefully from your nightstand and pulled out your phone. You set your phone and the battery on your bed. Your hands shook as you tried placing the battery back. You waited until your phone completely. There were twenty missed calls from Kris, last one was yesterday at night and two voicemails.

You weren’t sure if you were doing the correct thing to listen to them, since they were both from him. You placed your phone towards your ear, “Jinae, I know you don’t want to talk to me but please hear me out. I have a feeling that Sera planned everything out. I know it sounds silly and stupid but please hear me out. Last night nothing happened, after taking a few drinks I out and I don’t remember anything. I really want to talk to you. Please call me back.” His voice sounded shaky and desperate. You rolled your eyes and fought the tears back. *I should have kept my phone off , instead of hurting myself again.* You quickly deleted the voicemail convinced that he was lying to you. 

You stood up from your bed, grabbing clean clothes to change into and headed to the bathroom.

-

Kris walked to his grandfather’s office, annoyed that he was now being followed by the maids. Kris took a deep breathe. He felt bothered that his grandfather had now lost his trust with him and was now being treated like a kid. Kris hand stopped at the handle and wondered what he wanted to talk about. “Please hurry, your grandfather is waiting for you.” The maid said in a clam voice. Kris shot her a cold glare and went inside. He looked around the room but it was only his grandfather and him in the office. Kris took a seat and faced him with a blank expression. “I want you to tell me the truth behind Sera and you.” Mr. Wu talked at once. Kris played with his watch and them looked at his hand. “Kris, I’m asking you something.” His grandfather said, grabbing his attention.

“What is there to know? You already know that I slept with her just by reading the tabloids. I'm sure the whole world also knows.” Kris said in a hissy voice. His grandfather straighten up and cleared his throat. “I just found out that you guys have been dating for almost two years.” Kris quickly rose his head and stared at his grandfather with wide eyes. “How did you figure that out?” His grandfather stayed quiet. Kris knew that the best thing was to answer him. “Yes, we dated for almost two years without you knowing. She broke up with me a week before I found out that you had set a date for me to get married.” Kris grandfather was surprise to hear that, “Why didn’t you tell me?” Kris shrugged, “I knew you were going to be disappointed in me.” Kris grandfather straighten up again and looked at a piece of paper. “I’m still in denial because I always treated Sera as my own granddaughter but after what happened, I decided to let that go. Your a married man, you should have known better even though you had no feelings for Jinae.” Kris felt a stinging pain in his heart when he heard your name and blinked uncomfortable. “I shouldn’t have married you to begin with but my stubbornness got in the way.”

Kris continued to stay silent and just listened to his grandfather talk. “Even if you begged me to allow you to marry Sera. I would have done everything in my power to stop you. I never wanted her to get married to you. Now that she has ruined everything, imagine what she would have done if you guys were married.” Kris rolled his eyes in annoyance, “That’s why I kept everything a secret and told Mr. Choi to not say anything.” Mr. Wu looked at Kris with hurtful eyes. “They also knew.” Kris nodded is head in shame. 

“That’s why I called you here right now to fix everything. I should have never married you with Jinae, knowing that you guys didn’t know each other. I brought an innocent victim and ended up hurting her more than you did. That’s why I want to end everything.” Kris furrowed his eyebrows and tried figuring what his grandfather was saying. “I don’t understand.” He answered confused. 

His grandfather took a deep breathe and pulled out a piece of paper from a large envelope. “What I am trying to say is that its best if the both of you got divorce and ended everything right now. I want Jinae to not suffer anymore and I want her to live her life before I interfered and ruined everything. I now that the both of you got married because we kept pressuring you guys to do so. This arrange marriage was all my fault and now I want her to marry someone that she truly loves. You guys were never destined to be together so now I am fixing everything to the way it was suppose to be like.” Mr. Wu handed Kris the divorce papers. Kris was to startled to even receive them, he felt another sharp pain in his chest again. His eyes slowly read over the papers but he couldn’t focus.

 


Hi guys~ ! I felt bad about not updating the last two weeks and decided to update again.

Hope you enjoy it and have you guys seen Growl. I can’t wait for the repackage album but I have not money to buy it ><

P.S. I love reading comments ^_^ Subscribe or Upvote. Thank you