40

FOREVER AND ALWAYS

It's almost midnight and everybody already went home but Suzy remained in the lab, patiently waiting for the results of her experiment. She sat down on a swivel chair, alone in silence, staring blankly at the machine's monitor, carefully monitoring the conditions needed. During her first run, she found out that the variables she had set wouldn't work well with her experiment that she ought to re-do everything starting from step 1. One whole run in the machine she's using to detect the components of her sample would take almost three hours and additional time for preparing and preserving the sample. All in all, everything would take her almost a day to complete. She would definately spend another sleepless night in the laboratory. But she needs to do everything she can to be able to meet her deadline. 

She tried to entertain herself while waiting, but soon she ran out of ways to keep herself busy. She forgot to bring her Ipad of all days and the cellphone reception inside the laboratory wasn't that good enough for a phone call. Since there are no more employees inside except her the wifi router too was already turned off. 

For the next hour or so she kept doing nothing except but to wait. 

And that is when a realization came into her. 

All of her life, all she ever did was to wait for something to come. Later that day, she was so sure that her experiment will go as planned and she waited for the results and as it turned out, no matter how long she waited and how hard she had prepared for it, eventually she didn't get the result she wanted. It was hard for her to accept how the experiment had turned out, she didn't have any choice but to look for what went wrong. She didn't see it at first but she remembered hearing from one of her professors in graduate school that sometimes, we don't really find answers when we only look at things that can be seen by our own eyes, rather we have to search for answers in things that we do not see. So, she headed the advice and then eventually found what was wrong with her set up. Second realization, no matter how long we wait for something to happen, if it is not really meant for you then it wouldn't be yours. 

She scribbled her thoughts on pink posts-its and placed them on her forehead. 

She was young,she only believed on what she saw, she only lived in her own small world. What she thought, she thought it was right. Whatever her heart dictates, she obeys. She remained enclosed by barriers she herself had set upon herself. 

Third realization, and when you least expect it, things would eventually turn-out the way it should be. 

Carefully she removed the plate that contained her sample from the machine and placed it on another scanner,she eagerly waited for the printed results to come out of the printer, she was expecting another failure but as she analyze the results, it all turned out to be positive and rendered great values. 

Suzy was so happy that she jumped around and screamed in joy. From despair to ultimate satisfaction for her work she is unable to hide her delight. 

But then she heared the laboratory door clicked open. Suzy got alarmed of the unusual sound of somebody entering. The door was a little far from where she was working, the laboratory is a full scale laboratory therefore it occupies a large space and has different sections. 

Suzy saved the results on the computer and gathered her things. She was abit nervous as she thought that it might be someone trying to do harm on her or steal something from the laboratory. 

"Is someone here?", she heard the person say. It came from a male's voice but it didn't belong to the old kind security guard that worked during the nights. 

"Yes, I'm still working on something here. Just a minute. I'll be going home.", she replied, maybe the guards have changed, just incase. 

She heard his steps coming near her. She remained calm and gathered her stuff and secured her samples. She then noticed that the man had stopped going near her. She went to the freezzer and place her samples and when she turned around to go get her things. She didn't expect to see Myungsoo standing infront of her. 

No matter the time, the distance, and everything in between that separates you and the other, if that other is really meant for you then it'll surely be yours. 

"Hey.", he said and smiled.