36

FOREVER AND ALWAYS

Finally the alarm went off. Her head felt heavy and felt dry. Her whole body ached and still haven't had any sleep since she arrived. Suzy showed classic symptoms of having been jetlagged. She still isn't used to the new timezone, the first thing she wanted to do was pack her bags and go back home. A 20 hour flight wasn't enough to reach her destination. She took another 4 hour train ride and marveled at breathtaking view of the alps that her mind had put the stress behind and now she's feeling the strain of the journey she had took for the last 24 hours. Lack of sleep and the cold spring breeze  made her face swell a little. She heard movement coming from the other side of the room. It was Analise, her roommate during the convention, making tea. She greeted her good morning with her heavy British accent. She smiled as she sat herself up. 

Analise poured her a cup of tea and handed her a few biscuits. 

"This will make you feel better.", she said. 

Suzy smiled and took a sip from the porcelain cup. Suzy studied the tea cup after she finished drinking her tea. Analise was busy putting her clothes inside the dresser. 

After taking a few glances at the cup and at Analise, she realised she wasn't at home. She then remembered her purpose, the things she had to do, the preparation she had to make and the final arrangements she had to coordinate and finalize. All this made her head ache more.

She tied her hair up in a bun and began working. Typing and looking over at papers and documents, making sure that she had everything she needed. She checked her email and scribbled notes on her notebook. She still hadn't had any sleep but this was her dedication to what she had to do. 

They had the first two days of the conference to themselves. Suzy's undergraduate research got selected to be presented at a scientific conference held annually. It was a great achievement for her work. This will serve as a great way to jump start her carreer. Therefore she had to take this opportunity seriously. And this oportunity led  her to the place where she had always dreamt of going to. France. The conference was to be held on an eight day period at the popular breathtaking countrysides of France. She looked outside the hotel's windows and she can see the nearby vineyard. She is indeed in a different country. 

By now, if she'd be at home, she would be at Michelle's place or in the lab finishing her research work. 

She smiled, she felt better. She learned that, if you feel heavily burdened by something, to smile is the best way ease the burden. 

She checked the time. She agreed to come with Analise to have some sight-seeing while they have their free-time. 

She stood up and got ready. 

Analise was kind and softspoken. She tried her best to be close with her. Analise knows some French so it won't be a problem communicating with the locals. 

"Let's stick together so that if we get lost, we get lost together.", both of them laughed in unison. 

As they were going around, taking pictures and doing things normal tourist would do. Suzy felt comfortable with the new culture and learned alot of new stuffs and had brand new experiences. While taking a break, after a long walk, Analise and Suzy sat beside the town's fountain. They both had cups of coffee and a baguette. The two of them were having a comfortable talk when an old man started setting up a small tent near to where they were seated. The two of them watched. The old man who had a long thick white beared approached them. He spoke in French and Analise interpreted it for her.

The man is an artist, who does pencil sketches of tourists who would come. He is asking if the two of them wanted to have themselves in a portrait as a souvineer. It wasn't a bad idea so they agreed. The old man suggested that they continue with their conversation. He took his pen and sketchpad and began drawing. After a few minutes the old man stopped sketching and went over. He looked really shocked, amazed, as he stared at Suzy, scrutinizing her face. He spoke to Analise. 

"He's asking you if you have been here before.", Analise said.

She shook her head. She had never been out of the country before the conference.

"He told me he had something to give to you."

The two of them were schocked, Suzy became nervous while Analise was excited to see what the man had for her.

The old man with all of his energy rushed over at his tent and was looking for something in his box. When he finally saw it, he came back and handed Suzy a sketchpad. While the man explained, Suzy opened the sketchpad to see, sketches of herself. Her heart skipped a beat. The drawings were all so surreal that there was no denying it wasn't her. She turned the page one by one, there were atleast ten or twelve pages used and a few unused pages.

Analise was really jumpy and excited when it was her turn to talk.

"The old man told me that he didn't expect to see you here at all. He always remembered faces really well but never in his life would have he thought that he would meet you, the girl that the lonely boy loved to draw. He met this guy who is probably the same age as you about a year ago, he came here to study I think something related to architecture and would always go here at the park on his free time. He and the guy became good friends because of the interest in art. A few weeks ago, the boy told him that he would go back home and left the sketchpad asking him a favor, that if ever that girl who always dreamt of going to France would come and visit this town, give this to her. And now you're here. Only a few days passed.", Analise said. 

"You can see it in the lonely boy's eyes, he is inlove with the girl. It was what the old man told me.", Analise added. 

After all those times, his heart never changed. This time, she knew it was real.