19

FOREVER AND ALWAYS

Suzy went inside the Mediterranean inspired restaurant she and her friend were supposed to meet. The bubble girl in the front desk was confused at first when she requested another table for three, she explained her situation to her and gladly led her to a table at the balcony that was good for four people. She sat and waited. The overlooking view was nice and the afternoon sun was just right she was in the mood to read. Good thing that she brought the novel she was reading with her  that day. Aside from her wallet and cellphone, the book which is not too bulky were the only things inside her bag. 

She got engrossed with her readings that she forgot about the time. 

"Excuse me.", Suzy heard someone ask her. 

It was a woman, who wore casual clothing and in her late 40's but the handbag she was clutching in her right arm surely did stand out.

"Yes?", she politely replied. 

"Are you with my son Myungsoo?"

Suzy carefully scrutinized the woman infront of her, she didn't look like she had raised a son as old as Myungsoo, she looked like she is alot younger than Suzy's mother. Her figure was in good shape and her skin too. She had ash-blonde hair up to her shoulders that were held back by a pair of black classic Ray-ban shades pushed back over her forehead, she had bright red nailpolish  and a darker shade of red for her lipstick. As for her eyes, she can definately see that she was indeed Myungsoo's mother. If only Myungsoo had red lipstick on he would almost look like the lady infront of her. 

"Hi, yes I am.", she stood up bowed smiled and greeted the lady.

"I think you already know who I am.", the lady said. She looked nice but it was hard to tell after she said that. Her tone was a bit cold and sounded that it was meant to intimidate her. Suzy just smiled and acted as natural as possible. The lady took her seat infront of Suzy and she also sat down. 

"Myungsoo will be here in a minute, he just parked the car."

Suzy just smiled and bowed her head a little. 

"I see you're reading before I came.", Suzy felt a little more at ease becase his mother was the one starting conversations.

"Ah yes. I'm currently reading Murakami's Kafka On the Shore.", she replied as polite as posibble. Though this was all an act, Suzy felt pressured to do well, as far as what's instake, she's affraid that it may damage her reputation in school. 

"I also read a couple of Murakami's books and met him once in a charity event in Hongkong. He's a nice man.", the lady replied.

"I am a fan of his works ever since high school, but when I got into college, I had so much to do that I have to set aside Murakami for the meantime."

"Ah I see, so what is your major?"

"I am a microbiology major and biological chemistry minor.", she said as humble as she can

Then the lady changed the direction of her head and she turned her head to her side and she saw Myungsoo coming. He had changed into a plaid printed polo shirt and had jeans and pair of sneakers on. He sat down beside Suzy. He looked like he was in a bad mood or he was just trying to keep his cool. 

"I see you've started a conversation without me.", he said. 

He faced Suzy and gave her a look like "just-agree-with-me-and-let's-get-this-over-with" kind of look. She somehow understood and she just replied with a grinn. 

"Mom, she's Suzy. We've started going out for almost a month now.", Myungsoo said. 

Hearing this made Suzy even more nervous. Her heart beat faster. She tried to smile but she felt like it looked really fake and forced. 

The lady smiled but she still intimidated Suzy. This is the first time Suzy had been in this kind of situation so as Myungsoo. She somehow regretted that she led herself into this kind of  situation easily. As if she had walked herself into a landmine. Both of them seemed tense but tried their best not to show it. Myungsoo was keeping up acting cool and natural but both of them were trying to communicate with one another telepathically. 

Suzy flashed Myungsoo a "What-now?" face. And Myungsoo just laughed. His eyes disapeared, this is the first time Suzy saw Myungsoo's eyesmile up close. 

"I'm Bae Suzy. You must be tired from your flight?"

"Yeah, though I travel alot, I may never be able to get used to jetlag.", the lady replied. 

"By the way, I'm Minhee, I'm his mother. I just went to London for a business trip and so I went to Paris too for a side trip.", she added.

"Wow, Paris. I've never been to Paris but me and my bestfriend is saving up for a trip after we graduate.", it has been Suzy's childhood dream to go to Paris and everytime it is mentioned she becomes giddy. 

The lady just nodded, Myungsoo called the waiter and ordered. While waiting for their food to be served, his mother  raised a question and Myungsoo was taken a back by it. 

"Suzy's been doing all the talking, so Myungsoo tell me more about her."

Myungsoo stared at her, his eyes widened, it was a simple question but was very diffuclt to answer since he know almost nothing about her. 

"Well, we met at the park near our building. She left some of her things and I found it there and returned it to her. Then we often bumped with each other in school. And that's it.", he replied. 

"Then?"

"We started hanging out during our breaks, but we don't go out that often since we're both very busy."

"Especially him.", Suzy interjected. 

Myungsoo smiled at her. "Nice one Suzy.", he said to himself and Suzy understood it based on his facial expression. 

"What are your plans after you graduate Suzy?", she asked. 

"I'm still not 100% sure if I would go to medschool, I'm sort of into research these days", she answered. 

Their food was served a short while eating their conversation continued. Though before Suzy often had dinner in her first boyfriends house, todays atmosphere was completely different. Apart from pretending, both of them are afraid that they might trip into a landmine and would not be able to keep up with their act because they knew so little about each other. 

"So what did you guys do last week?", she asked again. This time in an unidentifiable tone. 

"Last week?", Suzy wasn't sure of what to make out of her query. Last week, she had her final exams in organic chemistry as well as physics, she went shopping twice with her friends, she cooked tomato omelet for breakfast last thursday, she went grocery shopping, she slept all day long. She didn't know what should she answer. 

"Last Friday?", Minhee added. 

"Well.....", Suzy didn't have any idea what to say. 

"Myungsoo, I thought you went out with your friends and went to the beach for your birthday last Friday.", she said. 

It was Myungsoo's birthday last friday. She was so shocked to hear that. It was the same day when she crashed into his place drunk. All the more it became so embarrassing. What if he tells her what happened. She would just ran out of the place, pack her bags home and forever be out of Kim Myungsoo's sight. 

"Ah, that. The boys changed their minds and we just played pool. Though we celebrated the day before that, right Suzy?", he said putting emphasis on the last few words. 

She just nodded and smiled. 

Shortly after, the three of them finish eating. 

"Mom, I called and requested a driver to take you home, me and Suzy have other plans for today. The driver is already here. You should take a rest now.", Myungsoo said. 

"It's fine Myungsoo, you can go take your mom home instead. Let's call it a day, and I'll take a cab home.", Suzy said. 

The lady raised an eyebrow and looked really upset with what Myungsoo said, but when Suzy rejected Myungsoo's suggestion, her face changed into a lighter one. She then smiled and fixed herself. 

"Dear, it's ok. I think Myungsoo has made plans before I asked him to pick me. I can go on my own from here. It was pleasant meeting you though."

The lady stood up and walked towards the exit first. The two of them followed her to the door.