Mrs Cho.

A Stranger & A Packet Of Blood.

 

“Rae Ah?” I could hear Hyun calling me from behind as I left the coffeehouse. I couldn’t bear to stay in there any longer. No matter how much I wanted to stay on and go grab dinner with Hyun, I knew I had to stop myself. This was getting too far.

I quickly made my way out to the street as I walked briskly to the train station.

“Rae Ah!” Hyun called, he was running after me.

I bit my bottom lip as I continued to walk faster.

Hyun managed to catch up with me as he stopped me by standing right in front of me.

Panting, he shifted his mask uneasily as he caught his breath. “I’m sorry.” He said hastily.

I was taken aback. Was I being rude by walking out on him? I should be the one apologizing; not him.

“Why are you apologizing?” I asked him softly; there were other people walking up and down the street.

“I-I…Y-You..”Hyun rubbed the back of his neck as he stuttered.

I couldn’t help but giggle at the sight of a flustered Hyun. I remembered my first impression of him; a totally cool and calm person. Not someone who was tripping over his words like how he was now.

“Yah, why are you laughing?” He asked.  

I shook my head as I covered my mouth, preventing myself from laughing further.

“When will I see you again?” Hyun asked out of the blue.

I was staring at him while he was looking down to the floor; clearly he was shy.

“I don’t remember you being shy at all when were in the blood donation center.” I remarked him teasingly.

He looked up to me and he was blushing, crimson red on his cheek.

“There’s an event coming up at the donation center, isn’t it? I’ll be there.” I said.

“Event? Oh yes, the promotional event! I’ll be there too.” He answered.

“I’ll see you there then?” I said as I turned around, wanting to continue my trip home.

“Rae Ah?” I heard Hyun called me again.

I stopped and turned my head slightly to face him.

“Good night.” He said as he turned around and walked off in the opposite direction.

I smiled before calling him myself. “Hyun!” 

He turned around too quickly, facing me. “Yes?”

“Thank you very much.” I said, bowing before making my way back to the train station.

 

Cho Kyuhyun’s POV

A small smile was forming on my lips as I saw Rae Ah brisk walk back to the train station as I stood at my spot, watching her.

Was I asking her too much questions? Did I scare her? I doubt so, since she kind of showed interest in seeing me again. I wondered why she didn’t want to have dinner with me though; she evidently didn’t have any more plans for the evening.

I hailed a cab and went home.

When I got home, I knew somebody else was in; my mother. The aroma of her dinner couldn’t be missed, without a doubt for sure.

I took off my shoes and slipped on my home slippers as I walked directly straight to the kitchen. And there she was standing at the stove with an apron on, stirring whatever she was brewing; which will be good.

I stood by my kitchen counter as I watched my mother managed the kitchen. I’ll never know how she does it so well; I always end up making a big mess when I wanted to cook something.

Just then, my mother turned around to get something from the cupboard when she spotted me, leaning by the kitchen counter.

“Oh! Kyu. You scared me! You could have at least greeted your mother when you came in!” She reprimanded.

“Hey Mrs Cho.” I said as I walked to hug my mother.

“Hug me later. Go run along and change. Dinner will be ready in five minutes.” She said before I could wrap my arms around her. She swiftly turned her body back to the pot of the soup which was boiling and gave it her full attention.

“Fine fine. Ignore a hug from your dearest son. Only you would do that.” I said walking back to my bedroom to change.

I could hear my mother giggling as she set the table.

When I was back, the dining table was full and to top it all off, a hug pot of soup awaits right in front of my bowl of rice.

My mother must have checked with my manager about my schedules, finding out I didn’t have any schedules for this evening and the whole of tomorrow. No wonder she came over, I’m glad.

Her double-boiled soups are the best. They can just make you feel so energized after a hectic week of fan- meetings, recordings, radio shows and what not.

“Come Kyu, let’s tuck in.” My mother said as I waited for her to start eating before scooping the soup to drink.

“Ahhh. Your soups are the best. Mrs Cho!” I complimented her. The last time my mother came over, it was about three months ago. This was just heavenly.

Then again, she wouldn’t come here just to make me dinner. That was always another ulterior motive behind this scrumptious treat. I took another scoop of rice before putting down my spoon.

My mother was chewing on the black pepper beef when she saw me putting down my spoon. She swallowed and asked, “Is something wrong, Kyu. The food is not appetizing?”

I smirked.

“Mother, how can your food not be mouth-watering? It’s too good. Thanks. But why are you here?” I said, propping my elbows on the table as I rested my chin on my inter-linked hand.

“What do you mean why am I here? I cooked you dinner.” My mother said, looking down to her dishes as she took some fish meat with her chopsticks, placing it in my bowl.

“And?” I continued.

“That’s all. I came to cook my son dinner. Is there a problem?” My mother said as she continued eating.

“Because you always come and cook me dinner and then you ask me for a favor.” I said smoothly, leaning back on my chair.

“Favor? What favor?” My mother spoke in a way; I could obviously see that she was already hiding something from me.

I sighed.

“Who is she this time?” I said, already knowing what the topic was on; introducing new girls to me.

I saw a sly smile appearing on my mother’s face.

“You know me so well. Fine.” She said, putting down her chopsticks.

“She’s the girl that I’ve wanted to introduce you to since a long time ago but you kept preventing me from doing so!  You know I work in the blood donation center right? The girl is a regular at the blood donation center, she’s real sweet and -..”

I looked up immediately when my ears picked up the words “Blood donation center.”

“She’s a regular at the blood donation center?” I asked, eyebrows lifted.

 

“You know, she’s the girl that your mother wants to introduce you to.” The senior nurse replied.

 

Rae Ah? The girl has to be Rae Ah.

“Yes, she’s been donating her blood for two years now. A bright and cheerful girl. You will like her, Kyu.” Mother said.

I’m already attracted to her, Mother but I can’t say it out loud now.

“All the other girls you wanted to introduce me before were all bright and cheerful girls too.” I said as I started eating again.

“This time, this girl is different. I really think both of you will be very compatible.” My mother said smiling.

This can be called good news right? Since mother likes Rae Ah already.

“What’s her name?” I asked, just double checking that we were talking about the same girl.

“Rae Ah. Choi Rae Ah.” My mother said gleefully. “You’ll grow to like her. She’s a very beautiful person inside and out. Today she came by the center, crying though. I wonder what happened to her.” My mother said sighing.

Thankfully it’s Rae Ah. Oh? So she did pop by the donation center. Crying? I’ve seen that part.

“She didn’t tell you what happened?” I probed convincingly that I was just asking it as a casual question and not because of my concern.

“No she didn’t. But she cried so badly. This is the first time; I’ve seen her cried until her eyes were blood shot. The previous times when I saw her crying, it wasn’t this bad. I’m really worried.” My mother said.

She was so secretive. I’m assuming she must have been on good terms with my mother to actually drop by the donation center for comfort. But if she doesn’t even tell my mother the reason when they are already quite close, why would she tell me the reason then?

So she didn’t cry because I ask her out.

What was the reason?