Dinner.

A Stranger & A Packet Of Blood.

 

I agreed that I owed Kyu a favor but having dinner with him? That’s a huge step for me.

Dinner was once the most interesting meal of the day for me because I get to enjoy a meal with the person I love, regardless of the food but for the company. Marcus made it a point to not repeat our dinner dates and if anything cropped up, he would make up for the dinner date by cooking something.

Having dinner together was a huge factor in our relationship, we didn’t mind not going out to watch movies, or to go shopping but dinner was a must.

I bit my bottom lip as I thought about his suggestion. I guess a short meal with him wouldn’t hurt. He did somehow help to shut my mother up after all.

“How if I cooked dinner and you come over later.” I offered, looking down to the cup.

“That would be very nice. I’ll see you later.” Kyu said as he took his groceries and made his way out.

 

Come on Rae Ah, say something, and don’t just stir the pot of kimchi chicken stew. Say something to him, he’s just sitting there.

I wanted to smack myself, why did I even suggest cooking for him in my own home?

I tasted the soup and it was right, so I switched off the stove and carried the pot of stew to my kitchen bar top counter and placed it in the center of the counter.

Kyu looked inside the pot and his eyes widened. “It’s been a while since I ate home-cooked kimchi stew. It smells really good.” He commented. I shot him a small smile before sitting next to him.

“This is the best thing that I can cook so enjoy.” I said, giving him a silent permission to start eating.

His face lit up and started tucking into the food.

It was rather a sight, watching my neighbour eat dinner in my house. He was a famous person after all, who knew his eating habits were quite unglamorous? He ate heartily, slurping the soup and ramen altogether.

The ballad singer suddenly stopped eating as he looked up and caught me staring at him. I looked down immediately.

“I’m sorry, I must have looked really uncouth eating like this but this is really delicious.” He said.

I looked up, hearing his compliment as he flashed me a shy smile. I smiled back.

“I should have taken a picture. Your fans would love to see you eating like this.” I joked unknowingly.

Kyu looked up immediately, “Don’t you dare. They will get super crazy.” He teased back.

“Are you saying you’re really popular?!” I said annoyingly, drinking my glass of water.

“I didn’t say that, you did.” Kyu said with a grin.

It was like this, a dinner conversation like this that got me back alive. I felt a sense of relief that washed by me, a fleet of emotions that got thrown in my face. I had missed this feeling of having dinner with someone and conversing with them. That exchange of small talk at the dining table was the communication that was lacking in my current life.

It was the fault that I thought it shouldn’t exist because the other person was no longer around. I myself had shut off communicating with anyone during dinner; it was I who had switched off any transmission with the rest of the world.

I found myself smiling back at the pot of soup.

“Rae Ah? Did you hear what I said?” Kyu’s voice brought me back to my kitchen.

“Sorry, what did you say?” I shook my head and looked back at Kyu.

“I was saying, did you see what I wrote on the album that I gave you.”

Refreshing my memory, I hadn’t seen what the ballad singer had written on the album that he gave me ever since that fateful day. It didn’t crossed my mind to read the note at all.

“Oh? I haven’t seen it yet.” I said frankly.

Kyu lifted an eyebrow, “You might want to take a look at it soon.” He said, finishing his bowl of rice.

“Rae Ah, this is one of the best dinners I have this year. Thank you for taking the trouble to cook.” He said, bringing the bowl to the sink.

“You helped me. This is my way of saying thanks. Please just put the bowl in the sink. I’ll get you some fruits.” I said, walking to the fridge and taking out a plate of fruits.

“Nahh, you cooked this entire meal, I should wash this up for you.” Kyu proposed.

“If you do not come and sit down and eat the fruits, this will be the last time.” I said sternly.

Kyu turned around and tilted his head at me with a weird look on his face. “There will be a next time?” He spoke.

I didn’t think that far when I said that phrase, it was more of a friendly threat to him.

I shrugged my shoulders, ignoring his reply. “Suits you.” I said, bringing the fruits to the coffee table.

He cleaned his hands dry and came to sit on the sofa. “Thank you.” He said, taking a pick and stabbing into the rock melon.