Encounter.

A Stranger & A Packet Of Blood.

 

“And breathe in, two, three, and four. Out, two, three, and four. In again, two, three, and four and breathe out completely. Pushing every inch of breath out of your body and relax.”

“You may continue to stay in this relaxing position. Thank you for coming down on a lovely Monday morning. Thank you for sharing your energy with me in this morning class. When you are ready, you may leave the studio. Have a lovely week. Thank you.” I said as I slipped out of the yoga studio room.

Taking my towel around my neck as I wiped my sweat from my second session of hot yoga on this Monday morning, I walked into the reception room where I got greeted by a bouquet of flowers. The same bouquet of flowers.

Daisies. My favourite. Even though they are the representation for flowers at funerals, I love daisies! Unlike the average woman who takes her appreciation in roses and lilies and whatever not, I adore daisies.

But sadly not from this bouquet.

“Rae Ah! This is like the fourth time he’s sending you flowers! Go date him or something!” Kim Mi, my best friend who was also a yoga instructor said to me.

Choi Rae Ah. That’s my name. I’m twenty five years old this year and I’m currently a yoga instructor. Due to an accident I had back when I was in school, I sprained my back muscles and yoga helped me recover and it got me hooked!

I can say that I’m totally in love with yoga. It’s calming and it has a lot of benefits! It helps in weight loss and strengthens your immune system and increases your metabolism. So why not make something I love a career out of it? I can get my daily dosage of exercise as well! In addition, the yoga studio that I’m working with is currently promoting hot yoga where we do yoga in a sauna type of room where we switch on the heater and sweat it all out as we do our yoga poses. That is interesting.

“Kim Mi, I’m not interested in him? Besides, he’s a regular! If things don’t work out, won’t it be awkward during the yoga sessions?” I said as I grabbed my water flask and gulped down the water hastily.

“But he seems nice!” Kim Mi said.

“Seems. Seems nice.” I rebuked

“He’s not bad looking too.” Kim Mi debated. I sighed as I turned to face her. “Kim Mi, the answer is no. I’ve got no time for guys right now. I’m at the peak of my life! I should be enjoying life not hanging out with some dude from my yoga sessions who is like a creepy stalker.” I said as I took the bouquet of daisies and frowned as I threw them into the bin.

“There goes another unloved bouquet of flowers. Thrown by Choi Rae Ah!” Kim Mi dramatically announced. I snorted as I sat back at the lounge area made for the staff, cooling off.

I looked at the wall clock. I was done for the day; another reason why I like my yoga studio; flexible hours and it’s owned by a foreigner so our pay is quite comfortable as well. I normally have about four to five yoga sessions a day on weekdays and one yoga session a day on weekends.  But today, I’ve got something on in the afternoon that’s why I chose to take the morning sessions before taking a half day off.

After refreshing myself with a shower, I changed and towel dried my hair before walking out to the reception area.

“Yah, you better go! You’re going to be late!” Kim Mi said as she spun around in the chair at the reception table.

“Thanks for covering me today! I owe you one!” I shouted to her as I left the studio.

Walking briskly on the pavement, I made my way down to the subway. Every six months, I would go to the blood donation center. It has become a regular six months thing after my first session two years ago.

I was afraid at the beginning but I knew it was one of those things I wanted to do before I die; to give blood. Friends had told me it was painful and the needle will be huge and all. I was so hesitant but after much encouragement from my mum, I went ahead and got my first blood donation done.

It was painful as the huge needle poked into my skin but knowing that one packet of my blood can save another person’s life or my life in future, the pain became tolerable.

Did you know? Donating of blood can be kept for you if you need it in future! Another fun fact of donating blood!

I got off three stations later and walked back up to the pavement level before making a right turn at the corner to the blood donation center.

As I did, I bumped into a person.

“Ahh, sorry!” I immediately said, bowing.

“Aishhhh. Shouldn’t you watch where you’re going?!” A harsh voice rang out from the person I bumped into.

I kept bowing to apologize.

“Aishhhh.” The person sighed angrily before walking off.

I straighten my back. It was a corner of the block, anyone could bump into anyone?! Why was I the only one apologizing? I dropped my jaw as I looked to the person who had walked off, it was a guy.

How rude.

I straightened my shirt and took a deep breath.

Maybe he was in a hurry, maybe he needed to be somewhere urgently. Oh well, he could have apologize as well. Now, I felt stupid.

Turning around, I continue walking to the blood donation center just a street away.

As I entered, a familiar face was already there, as if she was waiting for me.

“Hello! Mrs Cho!” I said with a smile.

Mrs Cho, the resident old sweetheart. She was the lady at the front desk of the blood donation center and she has kept to her job for years. She was the one who sat next to me for my first blood donation. I would never forget that day. She was so motherly and everybody liked her.

She was kind and humble, never failing to smile to brighten anyone’s day. She once told me she had a son and she wanted to introduce us but I declined nicely. Even though I donate blood every six months, I was involved in the activities that were held in the center as well. Mrs Cho was somebody I could confide my problems too especially during the process of the blood donation. She knows how to distract you with her little witty jokes and her cute giggly laughter.

“Rae Ah!” She called out before looking at the clock.

“You’re a bit late today?” She said taking my blood donation card and scanning it with the scanner.

“I had two yoga sessions this morning and I bumped into someone just now at the corner.” I stated as honest as I could.

“Are you alright, sweetie?” She asked as we walked into the room where the medical professionals took over as I sat on the couch.

“I’m okay. Just that, the person who knocked into me was plain rude!” I commented as the nurse strapped my hand properly, finding the vein.

“Oh? He didn’t apologize?” Mrs Cho said with a lifted eyebrow.

“Yeah, he didn’t! And he even said that I should watch where I was going!” I replied hastily. “Sounds like him” I heard her muttered before she looked back up to me.

“Aigoo. Nevermind, maybe the person was in a hurry. Don’t get angry over such people. My son was here a while ago but you came in late today and he had to leave. Or else, you two could have met!” Mrs Cho said as her eyes twinkled.

“Mrs Cho! Not again!” I whined a little as I felt the needle poking in.

“I think you two will be very compatible. You guys can always start off as friends.” She said as she gave me the stress ball to squeeze and a blanket.

“Thanks. But I rather we stay at the friend zone, Mrs Cho.” I said as I started squeezing the stress ball. 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey readers *waves* 

First chapter is upppppp. 

^^

 

 

Xoxo.