A Secret.

A Stranger & A Packet Of Blood.

 

I looked up in awe as the guy sitting opposite me started to sing. His voice danced with the air as playfully as they filled the room.  He had his eyes closed but I could see his mouth moving behind the mask. The sound was slightly muffled but it still sounded really nice.

The way the sound flowed from his lips was breathtaking, I’ve never heard anything as beautiful as his voice; I wasn’t into all that pop music in the local music industry, I didn’t follow anyone locally.

His voice thrills as they hit a higher note and I in a breath as I watched him sing. It was a rather attractive sight, I must admit. Was he singing for me?

By now, the senior nurse had left the room unknowingly and I was clutching onto the cotton wool against my skin with my other arm as I continued to watch him.

He sang to distract me off the pain I felt. He must have felt bad for irritating me, I thought. But at the back of my mind, I felt comforted, comforted in a way that he considered my feelings to make him want to sing for me; a distraction for me to lean on to as I escaped the pain that was rising in my arm.

Eight years of donating blood, he must have gone through this a couple of times, knowing the pain was intolerable.

And the voice faded as the music came to an end.

He took in a breath before slowly opening his eyes again, staring back at me.

I stared back at him and my palms came together, clapping at an unknown rhythm.

“T-That was a very nice distraction.” I choked out bluntly.

 “Thank you very much.” I added.

“No worries. Are you feeling much better?” He asked.

And then I remembered the pain. I winced a little but I nodded my head.

“Feeling much better after that wonderful performance from you! Are you a singer?” I probed.

His eyes widened at my question but he composed himself before speaking again.

“N-No. I just love to sing. That’s all.” He said.

“You should be a singer, your voice is amazing. You’ll be famous” I muttered, loud enough for him to raise his eyebrows.

I stared at his machine, he was finishing soon too. Should I wait for him? Maybe I could get him a drink to thank him?

“Your name is Rae Ah?” His turn in starting the conversation.

“You heard the nurse said it just now, didn’t you? Yes it is. My name is Choi Rae Ah.”

He nodded his head slightly, taking in my name.

“Do you sing to people here at the blood donation center often?” I blurted out.

“Nope, you’re the first one, I guess.” He said as he rubbed the back of his neck.

I smiled at the thought. “That’s good. So you have to remember my name because I’m the first person who you sang to at the blood donation center!”

He laughed.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“Ky-Hyun. Just Hyun.” He said softly, lowering his head.

“Hyun.” I repeated and he looked up to me.

“I’ll remember that name!” I said confidently.

And then his machine beeped to show that he was done. The senior nurse walked in, glancing at me, “Rae Ah, feeling better?”

I nodded my head, “Yes, much much better after Hyun sang to me.”

“Hyun?” She turned to look at Hyun as he pulled her over.

They whispered some stuff to each other as I looked on. They seemed quite close.

The senior nurse furrowed her brows as she talked to him.

I took my bag and slowly made my way out.

“Rae Ah! You are leaving already?” She asked.

I turned around, “Yeah, I’m done right? Oh! Hyun, thanks for singing. You sounded lovely. See you around!” I said smiling brightly at the two of them before leaving the blood donation center.

 

Nurse’s POV

I waited for Rae Ah to leave the room completely before turning back to the boy sitting in front of me.

“Hyun? Hah. Seriously, Kyuhyun.” I snorted as I switched off the machine and slowly take the tube away.

“Don’t say it so loud, she might hear it!” Kyuhyun said with a finger at his lip.

I continued to stare at him in disbelief.

What? She didn’t even recognize me! I like it this way.” Kyuhyun replied in a huff.

“She didn’t even say anything after you sang to her? Which by the way, is your first time ever singing to someone over here at the blood donation center and the person is a girl!” I said as I took the cotton wool and plaster.

“She just thanked me and stared at me in awe like how my fans do??” Kyuhyun said with a lifted eyebrow.

“You know, she’s the girl that your mother wants to introduce you to.” I said casually.

“She’s the what? Are you serious?” Kyuhyun stared at me with his big eyes.

‘Mhmmm. She’s twenty five years old this year. Currently a yoga instructor, she’s lives by herself. A really sweet girl. We all like her.” I nodded my head.

Kyuhyun just continued to stare at me.

“She really didn’t recognize you at all? Wow. Are you even going to tell her?” I said placing the plaster over.

“Tell her about what? About me? I don’t think so. I’m kind of comfortable like this.” Kyuhyun said with a sigh.

“It’s difficult being a Mr Popular eh? I’m sure of that.” I teased Kyuhyun, I always treated him like my own son, clearly because he only come in whenever his mother is not around for obvious reasons.

But this was the first time in eight years, Kyuhyun actually sang to a donor and not any donor, a female one. He never sang at the center or any blood donation events even though he was the ambassador. And of all the females, he had to sing to Choi Rae Ah.

To me and all the other people at the center, Rae Ah was like a ball of sunshine whenever she walks into the center, she never fails to smile at any of the nurses. It was heartwarming seeing her every now and then. There were other regulars but none of them gave me the same feeling Rae Ah did. She was considerate and thoughtful.

She was every mother’s dream of a daughter-in-law. The perfect candidate.

“You better go; your mum might come back anytime.” I said as he got up from the couch.

“Thank you.” He breathed as he left the center.

I smiled as I took their blankets and stress balls, Mrs Cho was right. Those two really looked compatible.

The next day.

 

 

Choi Rae Ah’s POV

I am late. Super late. I left twenty minutes to get to the studio and I left one more train station. I can do this, train please zoom faster! I tapped my feet unknowingly due to my nervousness. I hate being late for work. And it’s all thanks to my idiotic neighbor living next door, who blasts music after midnight?!

I only fell asleep after 2am. And I am scheduled for the morning sessions today.

I reached my station and was about to plan my running route when I got a shock after I came out of the underground level. What on earth.

There were so many people crowding around and about the area. What is going on?

I can totally see my studio but how am I going to push over this entire herd of people? It will be impossible. I looked around, there must be a way. And my eyes caught on a banner.

“CHO KYUHYUN. IDOL FAN SIGNING EVENT!”

Why must there be a fan signing event at this area. Argh, all of this people are fans of this..who’s this Cho Kyuhyun? Aishh. Heck, I’m going to be late if I don’t try.

So I started pushing my way through the crowd, getting bump around and a few people even stepped on my feet! I was halfway there already! I took a deep breath, ready to just push my way to the other half when suddenly a fan shouted.

“HE’S HERE! HE’S HERE! HE’S HERE!”

Oh my gosh, the horror of the reaction. The fans started squeezing me to get closer to the main road and as I tiptoed, I saw a van pulling over. Seriously, I can’t take this nonsense at such an ungodly hour in the morning. I wanted to squeeze through to get to my studio but instead, I got pushed around and worse, I got pushed all the way to the front of the crowd.

As the door of the van opened, the screams of the fans got louder and the pushing became more aggressive.

Before I knew it, I got pushed and I fell onto the red carpet right in front of the idol as he stepped out of the van.