Chapter 14

Akuma No sekai (World of demons)

 

Ryosuke:

It was too high. I couldn’t jump. Maybe I would break my bones. Or worse… Maybe I would die. “Just give the girl to us!” I heard Mai yelling. Of course it wasn’t her speaking; it was the demon inside her.  “Never!” I yelled back to her. “Then you will never talk to your sister again” She replied. I dropped another tear.  ‘I will save you' I thought. ‘But not now, I’ll come back. I promise!’

I jumped out of the window and fell in a bush which was under the window.  “Are you okay?!” Sayumi asked. I nodded. “Come! Lets go before they’ll notice that we’re gone!” We ran far away from the house, not knowing what was going to happen or where we’d stay this night.I wondered if I could sleep. I knew I could never fall asleep after what happened to Mai. I was too worried about her.

We ran and ran as far as we could. We didn’t stop for what felt like several hours. Suddenly Sayumi stopped. “Wait…” She said. I stopped. She walked towards me. “Perhaps we should stop running now.” She said. I shook my head, I didn’t want to stop. I never want to stop running. I also didn’t feel tired and all. “We already ran for a very long time!” She said. “Hours…” I said. She shook her head. “I Don’t want to stop, I will stop when I know how to save my sister” I said. “You have to sleep, Ryosuke. Tomorrow we can make a plan, but not now, okay? You look tired and you have to sleep” I didn’t know I looked tired, I didn’t feel tired at all. “I’m not tired” I said. “And we don’t have a place to stay!” “Lets walk.” She said, and we walked further.

It was very quiet. We didn’t say a word. I could only think about what happened before. ‘How’s Mai doing…’ I thought. Did they already notice we’re gone? Maybe they were following us the whole time, but we didn’t notice. I shook my head. “What’s wrong?” Sayumi asked. How could she ask that – ‘What’s wrong’ – A better question would be asking what’s isn’t wrong. Everything is wrong right now. Everything! There isn’t a good thing about this at all.

“Everything…” I replied as we walked further along. She didn’t say anything anymore. Only now I felt it. I was becoming tired. I didn’t want to be tired. I didn’t want to sleep, not before Mai is back. I shook my head. “I don’t want to sleep!” I thought out loud. “You have to! You look tired and need to rest! Only then we can make solid plans tomorrow.” She said. Maybe she was right. It’s too dark to make plans now and it’s better to making plans when I’m not tired.  “Where?” I asked. She didn’t know either. We didn’t have a place to stay anymore. Sayumi stopped walking. I turned around to face her, not saying anything.