39

Project Wedding

 

This wasn’t going to be easy but it was the sensible thing to do. I was going to have to break up with Kris. Well, I don’t know if it was an official break up but I knew we needed space. I needed space.

School was manageable. I mean, I switched lockers and nobody had done anything; I guess it was just the hype the students felt since there was some sort of drama going on for the first time ever. There were still the long looks in my direction when they thought I wasn’t looking, and the hushed talk and gossip about what may or may not have happened.

The most ridiculous thing I had heard was that Kris was seduced like a black widow spider and it was only a matter of time before I drained the life out of him. Whatever that means.

I sighed for the umpteenth time. Kris was five minutes late and I hated it when people didn’t meet me on time. Another few minutes and finally, the tall male sauntered in through the cafe, meeting my gaze with a small genuine smile.

“Hey there,” He greeted with a small peck on the cheek. It still sent my heart fluttering. “So what do you want to do today?” He asked, glancing over the menu.

It was time, I had to do it. I opened my mouth to speak but was completely interrupted by him.

“Let’s order your favourite cake and watch that film you want to...hmm what was it again? Epic?” Kris rambled. He remembered that I really wanted to watch Epic ever since I saw the talking snail on the TV advertisements. The guilt was sinking in now.

“My favourite cake huh?” I replied softly, testing his knowledge about me.

“Yeah, anything with chocolate in it.” He said with a cheeky smile. I managed to smile with amusement. That was definitely it.

His face suddenly changed and he looked worried, “Are you okay?”

I looked at him in surprise, “Huh? Oh nothing! Really.”

I hope my response was reassuring enough. He still looked sceptical and frowned even more, “No you’re not. Tell me, what is it?”

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, almost wavering under his smouldering stare. I then I blurted it out.

“We should go on a break.”

There was a lingering silence around us; it was neither awkward nor comfortable. It was like he was letting my words really soak into his head. Kris cleared his throat, his face becoming slightly hard and withdrawn.  “Why should we?” He demanded.

I meekly looked at him, afraid his eyes would burn me right there and then. I shook myself out of it and squared my shoulders and straightened my back, “You just came out of a relationship with a very unhappy ex. I don’t think it’s wise to jump into another straightaway...” I said rationally. “...And I really would like the talking to stop.” I finished quietly, almost looking down at my hands.

Kris’ face softened for a second, “It will stop and I’ve talked to Mei Lien.”

“What? You did?” I snapped in surprise. He merely nodded, “She’s going back to China to get on with her life.”

I quirked my lips to the side, still not being convinced that it was the last I would hear of her. “Right...I still think we need a break” I reminded. Kris ran a hand through his hair and sighed with frustration. “What if I say no huh? What if I don’t want to be away from you?” He cried. 

I chewed my bottom lip with anxiety. This was harder than I thought. “Please just do this for me.” I said with pleading eyes.

“How long will this be for?” He grumbled.

“I don’t know.” I mumbled. “Until we’re both ready”

“I am ready now” Kris complained. I frowned at him and leaned forward and clasped my hands over his, “Yes, but I need to know if you’ll still be ready in the near future. I don’t want to be in this with you, only for it to end too quickly and regret everything and let it all go to waste”

He let out another breath and began rubbing circles with his thumb on my hand. “I don’t like this” he muttered quietly. He leaned forward and captured my lips in a searing kiss. He settled back in his chair and looked at the menu again, “I might order the chocolate cake after all.”

I looked at him curiously and wondered why he was still sitting there.

“Um...”I hummed dumbly. “I think I should go then”

“Why? I’m ordering cake for you.” Kris said evenly. I looked at him even more and blinked rapidly.

“Err...um, that’s not how breaks work.” I informed. Kris tilted his head, “Oh, how do they work then?”

“For starters, we don’t eat cake together.” I replied as if it was the most obvious thing ever. He rolled his eyes, “Maybe we should change that then.”

“You weirdo” I said while standing up.

“Let me at least walk you home” Kris insisted. I thought it over before finally agreeing.

 

Students at school were finally noticed my withdrawal from Kris. I thought they would stop talking but I was wrong. They talked even more, wondering what the reason was and conjuring up stories. Honestly, they’re like piranhas, jumping at the slightest bit of drama.

I was walking through the hallway, on my way to meet Min at the end of the hall. I waved frantically at her with a huge smile.

“Hyesu!”

I was stopped midway by a few girls to my right who were by the girl’s toilets.

“Tell us, did Kris get tired of you and dump you?”  The middle on asked. I raised an eyebrow and was ready to lash out with a smart- comment about her nosy behaviour. I quickly felt a presence beside me.

Kris was there, looking rather ticked off at the girl. “Maybe you should mind your own damn business! You all should!” He yelled rather loudly, catching every one’s attention. My face was now up in flames was all the looks. He sent a chilling glare over at everyone’s direction.

I was truly grateful and possibly feeling the need to swoon over his protective side. He slightly bent down till his mouth hovered over my ear, “I know this isn’t part of the break but I’ll still be here if you need me”

He straightened up and winked casually in my direction before walking away. Min grabbed my elbow whilst glaring at the big mouthed, nosy girl.

“You okay Su?” she asked, “What was all that about?”

I nodded softly, my eyes trained on Kris’ back. “I think...I think I may have made a mistake”