o9

Project Wedding

 

“Oh holy mother of god!” I cried out as I threw my body over the counter of the ice-cream shop. I began whining softly, my shoulders shaking and my limb flopping about in a tantrum. Min stared with wide eyes, wondering if I had become possessed by the devil or something far worse.

Hesitantly, she placed her hand on my shoulder to steady me, “Are you...okay?”

“No” I cried. The sound of my voice was muffled as I buried my face further into my arms.

“Oh come on; what is it?” she persisted. I lifted my head and frowned and small pout forming on my lips.

“I’m partnered with Kris for some stupid project. We’re playing freaking Mummies and Daddies!! What has the world come to?” I sobbed.

“Ooooh! That project! Well, aren’t you lucky” Min chuckled. I sighed, “Hardly Min. He just simply decided we be partners. I don’t get him” I whined. I pulled out a bowl and dug the scooper in the chocolate and mint ice and helped myself.

“Consider it as practice” Min commenting. My face dropped, with the metal spoon hanging out of my mouth, “Is that supposed to be funny?”

“What?” She said incredulously. I sighed, deciding to ignore the comment. “I know I wanted him to be my husband but I didn’t think it would be this complicated”

“What do you mean?” Min asked with a confused expression.

I sighed softly, “He’s being so forward and it’s so terrifying being around him. I was supposed be doing this at my pace but every time he’s around, it’s like I have no backbone. And it doesn’t help that he’s so bloody tall”

Min laughed softly, “Oh Su, get a hold of yourself. If you want him as your husband that bad then you need to show him you’re not some push over that allows people to kiss you in public”

My head abruptly snapped in her direction to glare at her.

She snickered for a moment, “Damn, I’m surprised your neck didn’t break”

 

Monday arrived a bit too quickly for me. Although the weekend was relaxing, as it neared an end, a nervous feeling grew in the pit of my stomach. I breathed carefully before going into Health class. It was very simple; I didn’t need to look at him. I just need to get straight to my seat, not look at him secretly and try to focus on the lesson for once.

Walking into to class, I immediately stopped in my tracks.

I did exactly what I was planning; not to make contact with Kris. However, he had decided to make that easier for me by casually sitting on my desk.

I walked up to him, “What are you doing? That’s not your seat”

Kris looked up and smiled. Damn it. He looks good today.

No Hyesu, you ignore that!

“I sit here now” he relied without a seconds thought. I was thoroughly confused, “But..I already have a desk mate”

“Yeah, me” Kris stared bluntly. I spluttered softly, trying to protest against it but sighed, lowering my head in defeat. I’d have two classed where I have to sit next to him. The lord is indeed out to get me.

Settling down, the teacher came and set our task. Before our project could start, we had to be taught the basics of the doll thing we were going to ‘look after’.

By now, the class was getting rowdy as the teacher had allowed us to work in groups, meaning friends would team up. Yet Kris wouldn’t leave our table. I felt eyes on me and tried to fight the urge to turn and look at him. I knew he was trying to get my attention.

I mustn’t cave in like I did before.

I heard mumbling from my side and then felt a flash on me while I was doing my work. My head turned towards Kris. For some reason he had a Polaroid camera in his hand and a picture in his other.

He handed the camera back to another student, “Thanks”

He turned back to me and smirked, “Hi Hyesu”

I scrutinized him with my eyes. He kept waving the small square piece of photo paper until the image appeared. The next thing I knew, he positioned it in front of my face and said, “Isn’t it pretty?”

I blinked rapidly, then gasping loudly at the picture. Kris had taken a side profile of me while I was working. I shot my hand out to get it, “Hey! Who told you that you could do that? Get rid of it!”

Kris laughed and got up from his chair, which made no impact as most people were up from their seats as well. “No way Hyesu, I like it. I’m not getting rid of it” he proclaimed.

I whined in desperation. Why would he want that? I looked terrible in that photo.

As I tried to get it make again, he stuffed the photo into his back pocket. I cried inside. You know what, I wouldn’t let this guy get the better of me again. I puffed a sigh at my fringe and marched over to him.

“If you won’t give it, I’ll get it myself!” I said solemnly. I stood before him and snuck my arm around him, sneaking my hand into his pocket and pulled out the card.

I triumphant smile spread across my face as I had the photo in my hand. Kris’ was astounded for a moment which probably explains why that was so easy.

Kris broke free of his daze and his hand struck out lightining fast and I no longer felt the photo in my hand. My lips were forming a dejected pout.

I wanted to get it back again but Kris stopped me from making another move.

“Uh-uh, stop right there. I’m keeping it” he said teasingly, placing the photo deep inside his front pocket.

“Kris, Hyesu” the teacher called, “Would you like to take a seat?”

He gave us a look that meant no was not a possible answer we could give. We settled back into our seats again and Kris turned his head to look at me.

“The real thing is much prettier than the photo though.” He mumbled. I felt my checks scorch to the colour of crimson in shyness. It dawned to me slowly; he thinks I’m pretty.

-------------------------------------