25

Project Wedding

 

The first night of camping was strange. Everybody was pretty tired since the journey to the campsite had taken quite a while, and then being able to set everything up took even longer, well for me and Min anyway.

Because the tent was long, we all slept side by side. The girls were on one half while the boys on the other half.

The only reason it was strange was probably because I wasn’t exactly sleeping on a bed and we were in the middle of nowhere. In the morning, I had was buried deep within my sleeping bag with o intentions of coming out.

Until I felt poking.

“Do you think she’s dead?” Chanyeol’s voice was heard.

Min snorted, “Yeah right. This is just a severe symptom of the lazy syndrome”

I scowled underneath my covers, still not wanting to emerge. Min foot colliding with my back once again, “Hyesu, get up before I tickle you in to an oblivion”

I groaned aloud to indicate I was trying. “Alright Min, enough with the violence” I complained.

I rose up from the ground, letting my hands cover my face completely while secretly keeping my eyes shut. I was just so tired and I really had no idea why.

“Are you...are you going back to sleep Park Hyesu?” Min bellowed. I jumped in surprise, startled by the high volume of her voice.  I sprang up to my feet and shook my head to wake myself up. “No, no, I’m awake” I argued.

I looked around to see almost everyone was awake, looking at me weirdly. I stuck my tongue out at them. Well, it takes a weird person to know another weird person. I looked in Kris’ direction who was struggling to keep his laughter suppressed. I scoffed inwardly and went out to find the outdoor bathroom to freshen up.

The teachers soon gathered the students. We had free time to venture around the campsite before certain activities began.

Min and I decided to wander out into the nearby woods. We didn’t go out too far.

“Admit it, it’s awkward” Min blurted. I looked at her with a confused expression, “I seem to not get the purpose of this conversation”

She rolled her eyes and shoved my arm, “Yes you do. I’m talking about sharing a tent with the could-have-been-boyfriend and his current girlfriend.”

I decided to remain indifferent to the idea. “Why should I even care about that? All we’re doing is sharing a tent to I’ll be asleep before I can acknowledge them”

Min said nothing for a while, contemplating whether to press on with the matter.

“Bet you can’t climb that tree”

She decided not to and gamble with my chanced of climbing a tall, ancient tree. I looked at her with disapproval, “Um, do I look like a tree hugger to you? I’m not going to risk my life for your silly games Min”

She raised an eyebrow, “Oh really? I guess it’s settle, The Great Hyesu isn’t the best at everything”

I scoffed, “Who told you that lie?”

“Gosh, so egotistical...” Min mumbled under her breath. “Well, if you’re so sure, climb it”

I grumbled quietly, making sure some of the swear words were hear by Min. She always could manipulate me into doing things.

I set my foot at the bottom part of the trunk and hoisted myself up using the long branches sticking out. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I stopped less than a quarter up the tree and settled on a rather sturdy branch.

“Hah! I did it Kim Minjae!” I yelled down. She stuck her tongue out playfully and grinned back at me.

“Ah you’re so easy to control Su. Well are you coming back down then?” She replied back.

I scowled at her first statement and decided it was time to set my feet back on solid ground. However, I had a problem. I had no idea how to.

I looked down to figure out how I managed to get up; maybe then I could do the same thing going down. Min became uneasy and worried that I was taking so long.

“Er, you do know how to get down right?” she asked nervously. I laughed anxiously in a form of reply, not producing any words.

“Oh no!” Min cried, “You can’t! It’s okay, I’ll get help! Don’t go anywhere Hyesu!”

I breathed out heavily, “Does it look like I’m going anywhere?”

Min sprinted off back to camp to tell people that I was silly enough to get stuck up a damn tree. There was a nearby rustling amongst the bushes and dead leaves on the ground. The safe, firm ground.

“Is she back already?” I wondered aloud.

Kris emerged into the clearing, his eyes became larger as he noticed me up in the tree. He looked around to see if anyone was around.

“It’s just me” I said aloud, “Stuck in this god awful tree”

He pursed his lips tightly; I could tell he wanted to laugh. I gave him a stern look to say that laughing was definitely not an option.

“How did you get up there?” He asked, a smile on his face becoming very evident. I sighed loudly, “Stupid Min had to provoke me”

“Did you try climbing down?” he suggested. I glared at him lightly, “No. I didn’t.”

Kris nodded his head in acknowledgement. “Ah, there’s your problem.”

I sighed in frustration. Kris chuckled slightly and shook his head lightly. “Jump then. I’ll catch you” he then offered.

My eyebrow rose, not in amusement at all. “Are you high right now? There is no way in hell I am jumping!”

Kris simply held out his arms, as if what I said never came out of my mouth. “Hyesu, come on. You’re not that high off the ground. I promise to catch you”

I contemplated the idea over in my head, not feeling very sure about it all. “Hyesu, hurry up! There’s a spider nearing you!”

My face feigned alarm and I quickly leaped without a seconds thought. My stomach was tensing up, sending a queasy feeling through me as a sailed through the air. My eyes were shut tight, praying that Kris was keep to this promise and catch me.

Kris’ arms caught me just like he had said but his legs buckled and he fell flat on his back with me on top. He groaned beneath me, “Have you gained weight?”

I scoffed at his ludicrous question and let my palm slap his hard chest. “Maybe it’s you who’s losing your muscles!”

He in his bottom lip, suddenly becoming very quiet. I realised now that our faces were too close for comfort. I was suddenly aware of his touch; his hands were placed securely and the bottom of my back and the contours of our bodies seemed to fit perfectly.

“Kris, let go please” I whispered. He just ignored me. He lifted his head and spontaneously nipped at my lips. I blinked rapidly, deciding that would be enough. I was ready to get up and go but he rolled over, towering over me.

There was really no where I could go now.